Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 05:39 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times

Advertisements

This forum is the only place I've ever seen or heard the term "meet and greet" used to describe a date that is somehow not a "real date" because it doesn't involve dinner. I can't imagine anyone using that term in real life.

In my dating/social circles (which have spanned various ages, races, socioeconomic classes, and continents, among other things) it has always been considered "a date" when two people who have romantic interest (or potential romantic interest) toward each other go out and do something together. It doesn't really matter where they go or what they do.

People were going on dates that didn't involve dinner when I started dating in the late 80's, and I assume they did long before that, too. This is yet another case of the media trying to pretend something as old as humanity is somehow new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 05:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
...it has always been considered "a date" when two people who have romantic interest
(or potential romantic interest) toward each other go out and do something together.
But aside from the puppy dog eyed foolish ... that doesn't describe an OLD first meeting. Does it?

Not that such a meeting can't GROW into more...
but to start with the assumption that it will or even should ...is just foolish.

Quote:
It doesn't really matter where they go or what they do.
This is the semantic argument about the definition of "date"...
that the article missed and many other posters seem to have as well.

Be very clear that the context is about OLD first meetings...
and NOT asking out someone who is otherwise somehow in your life already.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:51 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
That article is for online "dates" and is to suggest planning something that can be aborted in a sort time frame if you just aren't feeling it.

For instance even though we had communicated previously online and things seemed fine, it was not pleasant having to sit through dinner after finding out that in person, this guy might as well have had his mouth sown shut.
I have since rejected dinner dates( especially fancy ones) and suggested something more casual for 1st meetings

The other thing is to let guys new at this know that they don't have to spend big bucks because they think it will be more impressive, especially if it's not the kind of thing he does normally OR won't keep doing.

For those that have no problem with it and you enjoy it, fine. Nobody is trying to convince you otherwise.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But aside from the puppy dog eyed foolish ... that doesn't describe an OLD first meeting. Does it?
It always has in my experience. Hell, they're called DATING sites, not "meet and greet sites." I've always called it a "first date" the first time I go out with someone I met on a dating site. Everyone else I've known does, too. When my current girlfriend and I talk about the first time we met (from a dating app) for drinks, we call it our first date. It's been this way with everyone I've ever dated.

Who the hell calls it a "meet and greet" (apart from this forum)? A meet and greet is when you have a backstage pass to a concert and get to meet the band-- it's not something you do with a person you are dating or intending to date.

Quote:
Be very clear that the context is about OLD first meetings...
and NOT asking out someone who is otherwise somehow in your life already.
Why does it matter if you met online or elsewhere? If I'm going out with someone, I'm going out with them. It doesn't matter where or how I met them.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:17 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Why does it matter if...
There are already about 100 posts in this thread.
Most explain this or seem to at least understand it well enough.
Read through them.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
There are already about 100 posts in this thread.
Most explain this or seem to at least understand it well enough.
Read through them.
It was a rhetorical question. My point is that it doesn't matter how I met someone by the time I'm going out with them. This is just how it works in real life, in my experience, but apparently others have had different experiences. I'm just happy no one I date refers to our dates as "not real" or "meet and greets".

Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
This forum is the only place I've ever seen or heard the term "meet and greet" used to describe a date that is somehow not a "real date" because it doesn't involve dinner. I can't imagine anyone using that term in real life.
The meet and greet doesn't have anything to do with having dinner or not. It is a first meeting. The meeting to determine if one wants to have a date. I can't possibly know if I want to have a date with someone I've never met, since I can't know if there is any attraction at all.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The meet and greet doesn't have anything to do with having dinner or not. It is a first meeting. The meeting to determine if one wants to have a date. I can't possibly know if I want to have a date with someone I've never met, since I can't know if there is any attraction at all.
That's so bizarre to me. The first date (just like every subsequent date until you are in a serious/committed relationship) is part of the process of determining if you are attracted enough to someone to be in a relationship with them. That's what dating is. If you're meeting with the intent of determining romantic potential, it's a date, by definition-- at least by the definition used by everyone I've ever met outside of this forum.

And of course, I'm only meeting someone for a date if I found them attractive from their profiles. I clearly have romantic/sexual attraction/intention, or I wouldn't be going out with them. That attraction may change once we're on the actual date, of course, in which case there won't be a second date, but again-- that's part of the process of dating, and is true regardless of how we met.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you can't have a date with someone you've never met, I guess you better stay home.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
If you can't have a date with someone you've never met, I guess you better stay home.
Why would I do that when I can meet people and then plan a date as I've been doing for decades?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships