Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 08:37 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why would I do that when I can meet people and then plan a date as I've been doing for decades?
You go to a meeting, or you go to a meet and greet. That's what you're going to call it.
I go to meetings all of the time. I've been to meet and greets, there are never any romantic intentions with the people there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 08:40 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
You go to a meeting, or you go to a meet and greet. That's what you're going to call it.
I go to meetings all of the time. I've been to meet and greets, there are never any romantic intentions with the people there.

I don't have any romantic intentions with people I never met. How can I? I don't know if there is any interest or attraction to them.

If I meet them and there is some chemistry or mutual attraction, we plan a date.

Simple. Been like this for ages. It's no different than meeting a person at a party, or an event, or a bar or club. The first time you meet isn't a date. If you make plans to go out with them, that's a date.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
I don't have any romantic intentions with people I never met. How can I? I don't know if there is any interest or attraction to them.

If I meet them and there is some chemistry or mutual attraction, we plan a date.

Simple. Been like this for ages. It's no different than meeting a person at a party, or an event, or a bar or club. The first time you meet isn't a date. If you make plans to go out with them, that's a date.
You connect with someone on OLD and make plans to meet in person Thursday night. A buddy asks if you want to come over to watch the game Thursday night. Do you tell him you can't, because you're going to a meet and greet? Or on a date?

Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You connect with someone on OLD and make plans to meet in person Thursday night. A buddy asks if you want to come over to watch the game Thursday night. Do you tell him you can't, because you're going to a meet and greet? Or on a date?
I tell them I have plans. If they push, I tell them I'm meeting someone for a drink. It wouldn't occur to me to call it a date since I never met the person.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:

It's been like that for you for ages.

Otherwise, the confusion seems to come from the generally accetped definitions of the words that others have used for ages:

Definition of MEET AND GREET/ MERRIAM WEBSTER
1. a reception at which a public figure (as a politician or rock star) socializes with press members and other guests

Urban Dictionary: meet and greet
Example:
The National Protological Association annuall convention's meet and greet was a success. I met with the heads of 5 manufactures, 4 resellers, 2 financiers, and ...

What is a date?

Urban Dictionary: date
Since the exploration of romance is the purpose of a date, merely asking someone out on a date is sufficient to broach the subject. Dates may or not continue ...

Merriam Webster
Definition of DATE
1. 1a : the time at which an event occurs <the date of his birth>b : a statement of the time of execution or making <the date on the letter>
2. 2: DURATION
3. 3: the period of time to which something belongs
4. 4a : an appointment to meet at a specified time; especially : a social engagement between two persons that often has a romantic characterb : a person with whom one has a usually romantic date
5. 5: an engagement for a professional performance (as of a dance band)
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

There is no "First we meet, then we decide if its going to be a date after that" definition anywhere accept on CD-R.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:52 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
I'd shoot myself if I had to agonize over whether or not to call something a "date". Go have fun. If you enjoyed yourself, do it again. End of story.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I tell them I have plans. If they push, I tell them I'm meeting someone for a drink. It wouldn't occur to me to call it a date since I never met the person.
And if you told them you were going to a meet and greet?
Wouldn't they ask you what the event is? Celebrity, work related, convention, etc?

Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
It's been like that for you for ages.

There is no "First we meet, then we decide if its going to be a date after that" definition anywhere accept on CD-R.

Ok, so you would consider if you met someone at a bar and then decide to go out with them a date then.

I don't think many people would consider meeting someone at a bar, or a nightclub, or a party, and then making plans to see them again in the future, a first date. They would consider the time they made plans to go out after they met to be the first date. OLD is no different, the date comes after you met and decide to see each other again with romantic interest.

Quote:
And if you told them you were going to a meet and greet?
Wouldn't they ask you what the event is? Celebrity, work related, convention, etc?
No, they wouldn't. They'd probably say have fun. But of course, saying "I have plans" would be enough in the first place.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
This forum is the only place I've ever seen or heard the term "meet and greet" used to describe a date that is somehow not a "real date" because it doesn't involve dinner. I can't imagine anyone using that term in real life.

Right? "And you are just foolish!"
but "you may call it what you like".

That's the best part of the discussion.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Brave new world! First of all, I'm old - small "o", not OLD - being as how I'm 70. Never once in my dating experience do I recall asking someone out I hadn't known and gotten to know for awhile. Why would I? Therefore, a dinner date for our first time going out seemed appropriate.

There were several advantages. It gave time to talk and get to know one another better. It was a pleasant and non-threatening interlude. It provided me with a way to gauge their social skills. Did they automatically order the most expensive item on the menu just because they felt they could? Were they conversant? Were they pleasant with and polite to wait staff. Did they have good table manners or did they bolt their food, keep their elbows on the table, chew with their mouths open, crouch over their plate, talk with food in their mouth, clutch their silverware in their fist, slurp their food...you get the idea. Any one of those would have ensured there were no further dates.

I wanted to date ladies with a decent upbringing and appropriate deportment. Guess that was my mother's influence and upper-crust, New York upbringing rubbing off on me and if she hadn't died 28 years ago I would thank her again for it.

I hate to think that the death of dinner dates is a reality. I still have them only now, they're with my wife of 20 years and, yes, our first date included both brunch on the beach and dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships