Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:36 PM

242 posts, read 251,479 times

Advertisements

A few weeks before Christmas I got that line out of nowhere.

Prior to that she was making travel plans with me, wanted me to meet her friends, etc. She couldn't keep her hands off me on dates. I figured she met someone else and I moved on but kept her on social media and stuff.

She keeps liking and commenting on all my social media accounts, and she texted me asking me advice, even invited me out for a casual dinner. I told her I had other plans and never offered another time. I'm not sure if I could go into it without asking her what went wrong, etc. I didn't really want to look clingy and weak.

Is there something there still or is she just dangling the carrot? I'd rather not be a backup plan. She is flying home for 4 weeks soon and will back in Feburary but dropped that line on me a couple weeks before Christmas and has been in town the entire time. I am really into her, but I wouldn't think she could be very into me if she can just drop me like a bad habit that quickly.

I'm not waiting around and have already went on quite a few tinder dates. I met one I click with and I'll continue seeing her. I've been keeping it pretty casual, I'm just trying to distance myself emotionally and not get attached anymore, I hate dating multiple people at once but I guess that's the only way to do it. People are too flaky.

And yeah, I never dated or talked to women In my teens or twenties but I've been working on myself a lot these past 5 years or so. Fixed my genetically messed up teeth, dressing nice, I'm kind of a fitness nut now and I have a very solid career. I'm pretty far behind the curve socially and dating wise, but trying to get it up to par!

So any advice would be awesome.
Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
No, never. You are doing the right thing, just move on and in a year or two you will struggle to remember her name.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:54 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
A few weeks before Christmas I got that line out of nowhere.

Prior to that she was making travel plans with me, wanted me to meet her friends, etc. She couldn't keep her hands off me on dates. I figured she met someone else and I moved on but kept her on social media and stuff.

She keeps liking and commenting on all my social media accounts, and she texted me asking me advice, even invited me out for a casual dinner. I told her I had other plans and never offered another time. I'm not sure if I could go into it without asking her what went wrong, etc. I didn't really want to look clingy and weak.

Is there something there still or is she just dangling the carrot? I'd rather not be a backup plan. She is flying home for 4 weeks soon and will back in Feburary but dropped that line on me a couple weeks before Christmas and has been in town the entire time. I am really into her, but I wouldn't think she could be very into me if she can just drop me like a bad habit that quickly.

I'm not waiting around and have already went on quite a few tinder dates. I met one I click with and I'll continue seeing her. I've been keeping it pretty casual, I'm just trying to distance myself emotionally and not get attached anymore, I hate dating multiple people at once but I guess that's the only way to do it. People are too flaky.

And yeah, I never dated or talked to women In my teens or twenties but I've been working on myself a lot these past 5 years or so. Fixed my genetically messed up teeth, dressing nice, I'm kind of a fitness nut now and I have a very solid career. I'm pretty far behind the curve socially and dating wise, but trying to get it up to par!

So any advice would be awesome.
Happy New Year!
No, that's NOT the only way to do it. I've never done that.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:12 PM

622 posts, read 396,299 times
If that happened to me, I would have asked, "Why? Did I say or do something wrong?" But then I'm a girl. Maybe guys don't do that.

And yes, I did say something like that to someone I was dating in Texas last year because he was moving way too fast for me. I wasn't ready for a serious relationship and he pretty much declared ownership of me. "You are mine," was something he kept telling me. He would not cool his heels, so I cooled them for him.

Is it too late to ask her why she put your relationship on hold for awhile?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No, that's NOT the only way to do it. I've never done that.
Not really the question I was asking, But I think that the best course of action for me so I can learn to pick up on social cues and practice.

And leaving the above out, I don't have many options. It's not like women line up to date me, so having a few casual relationships won't hurt anything. If things get serious with someone down the road I'll just back off the others.

I'd love to be able to put all my eggs in one basket but I get hungry when they all break!

Old 01-03-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Ree View Post
If that happened to me, I would have asked, "Why? Did I say or do something wrong?" But then I'm a girl. Maybe guys don't do that.

And yes, I did say something like that to someone I was dating in Texas last year because he was moving way too fast for me. I wasn't ready for a serious relationship and he pretty much declared ownership of me. "You are mine," was something he kept telling me. He would not cool his heels, so I cooled them for him.

Is it too late to ask her why she put your relationship on hold for awhile?
I asked why and she said she's not ready and needs to be alone. Something about her ex of 2 years cheating on her, which was over a year ago. Seemed like she was just trying to spare my feelings. Why would she date me in the first place then?

Then ball is in her court. In the past I would've asked but I attribute that to begging for her attention now, and I simply won't do that. I want someone to be as interested in me as I am in them.. Maybe I moved too fast too. I didn't claim to own her anything but I did contact her daily and maybe it was too much. I fell for her pretty fast.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:28 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Have you ever told someone you were attracted to physically and otherwise that you need time to focus on yourself?

No, never.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:31 PM

622 posts, read 396,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrov View Post
I asked why and she said she's not ready and needs to be alone. Something about her ex of 2 years cheating on her, which was over a year ago. Seemed like she was just trying to spare my feelings. Why would she date me in the first place then?

Then ball is in her court. In the past I would've asked but I attribute that to begging for her attention now, and I simply won't do that. I want someone to be as interested in me as I am in them.. Maybe I moved too fast too. I didn't claim to own her anything but I did contact her daily and maybe it was too much. I fell for her pretty fast.
I guess you need to ask yourself if you are interested enough in her to be willing to take things more slowly then. If you do, ask her for coffee and ask her if the time apart helped clarify her feelings for you. Let her know you want to take this relationship to another level if she is ready. But do be ready to respect her wishes. We don't all travel at the speed of light!

Old 01-03-2017, 05:34 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
To me that's code for "I don't want to date you." Wouldn't have nothing else to discuss afterwards.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:01 PM

Thanks guys - I may try the coffee approach after she gets back depending on how I feel at that time. If I'm over it I may just go into it casually and see what transpires. See if she brings it up, if not.. I like coffee.

But yeah, kinda sounds like it's over and she's just being polite with all the social media stuff and inviting me to dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships