Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:54 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Actually, I grew up in a time where I had the option to do it either way (college mid-90s) and most people I know who are happily (or still, anyway) married chose not to do at the technology way. What does that tell you?

If, God forbid, I hit the dating market today, I'd do it the same way I did it before.

p.s. Asking someone out over text is totally chickens***.
It still wasn't anywhere near what OLD is today, though.

And lol at it being chickens***, why does it matter HOW you ask somebody out? I've asked out women via text, and we've met in person and had a good time. None have ever held it against me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 06:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
It still wasn't anywhere near what OLD is today, though.

And lol at it being chickens***, why does it matter HOW you ask somebody out? I've asked out women via text, and we've met in person and had a good time. None have ever held it against me.
True, I was dating in the mid 90s, and OLD was barely a thing. Really, not much of a thing at all.

Of course I was in my 20s then so I was out at shows, parties, clubs, bars etc almost every night of the week... home at 2am, at work by 9am, day after day.

If I could pull that off, and wanted to pull that off (which I don't), I'd be meeting people IRL too. Even so, in that era people dated a lot of less than compatible people because that is who they met, and I think I know two people that met in the mid 90s and married that have remained married. People seem to meet much much more compatible people with the benefits of OLD screening.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
Quote:
Actually, I grew up in a time where I had the option to do it either way (college mid-90s) and most people I know who are happily (or still, anyway) married chose not to do at the technology way. What does that tell you?

If, God forbid, I hit the dating market today, I'd do it the same way I did it before.

The 90's technology is way different than it is now. Be honest, you have no real clue how you'd approach dating if you grew up with the current technology. You can say whatever you want now but had you grown up with the current options, you most likely would have done things differently.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:

In the mid-90s they didn't HAVE text as a medium or even AIM, they didn't have a choice. Moot point.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:34 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
When I was dating there were two terms: 1) acceptable behavior; and, 2) unacceptable behavior

We are talking like 8 years ago, and not the 1950s or anything.

I don't need to put a label on what I do not like in order to justify myself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-10-2017, 12:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Come on now. You did that because you had no choice. If online dating was around then, people would be using it just as they are now. People are people regardless of the generation. The only difference is you didn't have what's available now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
The 90's technology is way different than it is now. Be honest, you have no real clue how you'd approach dating if you grew up with the current technology. You can say whatever you want now but had you grown up with the current options, you most likely would have done things differently.
Do you have a vested, financial interest in OLD? That's two of us you've tried to debunk and paint as "deprived" because we prefer other, old-fashioned but tried-and-true, proven ways to find compatible dates/relationships/wives. Or perhaps you just have something against the concept of aging.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Do you have a vested, financial interest in OLD? That's two of us you've tried to debunk and paint as "deprived" because we prefer other, old-fashioned but tried-and-true, proven ways to find compatible dates/relationships/wives. Or perhaps you just have something against the concept of aging.

As always, one generation thinks the other's are idiots.

I never had OLD growing up, but used it after being widowed after 18 years of marriage.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
As always, one generation thinks the other's are idiots.

I never had OLD growing up, but used it after being widowed after 18 years of marriage.
Ain't it the truth. If only the younger one knew.

So sorry you were widowed but glad OLD has worked for you. Hope I'm never in a position to even think about it.

But wait ! I won't be. If my wife goes before I do, I'm done!

Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ain't it the truth. If only the younger one knew.

So sorry you were widowed but glad OLD has worked for you. Hope I'm never in a position to even think about it.

But wait ! I won't be. If my wife goes before I do, I'm done!

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I was widowed at 40 and lucky enough to find a great guy to whom I am married to now. I wouldn't survive going through that again.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I was widowed at 40 and lucky enough to find a great guy to whom I am married to now. I wouldn't survive going through that again.
Way too young but obviously you landed nicely on your feet. I'm happy for you. Actually, I'm also an incurable romantic and have a thing for happy endings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships