Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
We have 2 with no issues
...to get her to understand my point of view that I really don't want more kids.
Make the Vasectomy appointment.
Tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,643,659 times
Take matters in your own hands. My friends wife didn't care what her husband said. She wanted a third child. She got it and then their marriage fell to pieces. The husband resented her stubbornness and the way she made the decision by herself. Get a vasectomy, then the subject is closed.,

Old 02-07-2017, 05:51 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,012,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post

I'm done and don't really see anything good that can some from a third except more stress and frustration.

I have even offered a compromise that we can have more kids but need to move to another state where a 4 bedroom house doesn't cost us 700K+. This was immediately shot down due to family ties where we currently live.
This is the tragedy of marriage for men: She gets her way, He has no say -- but must pay the bill for her decisions.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:05 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
In my opinion going through with a third child would only work IF both of you agree. Since you don't want another child my answer is DON'T HAVE ANOTHER.

I think you need to make it clear to your wife that you don't want any more children and hold your ground. You will likely resent it if you agree only to make your wife happy. As stated, a child is a huge commitment.

I don't think you should have a vasectomy without your wife knowing - that would lead to trust issues.

Sorry I can't help you with your wife. Good luck.
I wouldn't be in favor of having a secret vasectomy either. The problem is a conflict of interest if the wife is solely responsible for birth control as she's the one wanting another baby. Does the OP want to use condoms forever? Of course putting his foot down may mean no more sex anyway? Regardless, something that will work for the long term will be needed.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:09 PM

280 posts, read 250,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Lay out the numbers including the "if one of us loses our job" model.

Then say - if we have another kid and one of us loses our job we will need to sell this house and move into a condo.

Condo - 5 people ...

We are currently in a condo but wanted to buy a house in the next year. This obviously would be put on hold if we move forward with number 3.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 PM

15,076 posts, read 10,136,586 times
When it comes to children, conflicted emotions of love and regret is difficult to come to terms with... and painful.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 PM

280 posts, read 250,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
What is her earth-shattering reason for having a third kid when you're content with two? Have you had both boy and girl or both boys? If both boys, she may desire a daughter, but still not a very strong one if it'll make life difficult for the family as a whole. Even number of kids hang out better as a family too. If you feel strongly about being done with kids, discussing your feeling with her and have a vasectomy to make sure no oopsie will happen.
One boy and one girl..... I would completely understand the reason if we had 2 boys or girls.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
A family of 4 works nicely in most scenarios. Adding that 5th person to the family adds to the expense and effort.

With 4:

You all fit in a sedan instead of a minivan or SUV with a 3rd row.
You all can sleep in one motel room with two double beds.
The four of you fit in a standard table or booth at a restaurant.
Four people can pair off at an amusement park to ride rides (or not).

It's literally going from man-to-man to a zone defense.

To me, if either parent has serious doubts, it should not happen. You already know that raising kids is rough enough when you're both on board.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:21 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,251,228 times
The decision on a third kid is not a compromise. Either you have one, or you dont. If you were talking about a first baby, then I could see where the decision would sway her way, especially if you didnt talk before marriage about not having kids. But when you already have 2 kids, its not a matter of compromise anymore. Its her way or your way. Now she already has 2 kids, her way. Maybe its now time for your way.

Unfortunately, she's in the drivers seat, unless you stop sleeping with her.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:22 PM

113 posts, read 86,007 times
No more kids....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships