Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,943 times

Advertisements

This is why I don’t believe in marriage. I feel that if a relationship runs its course, then the other person should be able to leave. If I am in a relationship with you, I don’t want you to feel trapped or feel like you have to divorce me and take half of my stuff in order to get out. Why does society push people into marriage? It obviously doesn’t work for most people. I don’t know that love can last a lifetime anyway. That’s all fairy tales and crap they should save for the movies. True love doesn’t exist, right ? Or does it? I think most couples that stay together for a long time are just afraid of being alone or they just stay out convenience, not out of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 09:24 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
By reading all your (odd) threads I highly suggest therapy for you.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:26 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,974 times
Ummm...random. Is there any context to this story? What exactly happened?

Old 01-10-2018, 09:28 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
I don't believe in marriage anymore either. The guy almost always gets screwed, and not it a good way!

Old 01-10-2018, 09:38 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
This is why I don’t believe in marriage. I feel that if a relationship runs its course...
"Runs its course"? Meaning what?

Quote:
.. then the other person should be able to leave. If I am in a relationship with you, I don’t want you to feel trapped...
Marriage isn't a trap. It's a choice and promise NOT to leave just because things get difficult. It is a vow to really really try to work together as a team on problems and to pursue individually whatever helpful solutions will make you healthier.

Quote:
.... or feel like you have to divorce me and take half of my stuff in order to get out.
Not every divorce leads to the partner "taking half your stuff." But after being in a legal marriage for a certain amount of time, depending on the state, your spouse is entitled to a certain amount of "stuff."

Quote:
Why does society push people into marriage?
Because the theory is that it propels a more stable society. There is actual research on this stuff.

Quote:
It obviously doesn’t work for most people.
No, it obviously works for a lot of people.

Quote:
I don’t know that love can last a lifetime anyway.
It's sad that you apparently haven't had many family members to bear this out.

Quote:
That’s all fairy tales and crap they should save for the movies.
Now you're just typing words that aren't true and don't mean anything.

Quote:
True love doesn’t exist, right ? Or does it?
It does. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Quote:
I think most couples that stay together for a long time are just afraid of being alone or they just stay out convenience, not out of love.
That's your opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 01-10-2018, 10:04 AM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
True love does exist and it can last a lifetime.

But s**t also happens.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:05 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
by reading all your (odd) threads i highly suggest therapy for you.
+1.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:52 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,504 times
Without marriages, the social will be in chaos, marriages keep the family together during good and bad times, yes divorce does happened, but still small percentage of over all marriages.

There are also many studies claiming people who are married are happier than people who aren't. It's however, very very important to find someone who's compatible to you. Don't spend more time on buying a TV than picking a spouse.

If you don't believe in it, then don't get married, why care about society people think about you?

Old 01-10-2018, 10:56 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
True love does exist and it can last a lifetime.

But s**t also happens.
That last line is why I will not entertain or consider marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
Without marriages, the social will be in chaos, marriages keep the family together during good and bad times, yes divorce does happened, but still small percentage of over all marriages.

There are also many studies claiming people who are married are happier than people who aren't. It's however, very very important to find someone who's compatible to you. Don't spend more time on buying a TV than picking a spouse.

If you don't believe in it, then don't get married, why care about society people think about you?
I don't consider 30-40% of marriages ending in divorce small but that's just me. People ain't loyal today.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
This is why I don’t believe in marriage. I feel that if a relationship runs its course, then the other person should be able to leave. If I am in a relationship with you, I don’t want you to feel trapped or feel like you have to divorce me and take half of my stuff in order to get out. Why does society push people into marriage? It obviously doesn’t work for most people. I don’t know that love can last a lifetime anyway. That’s all fairy tales and crap they should save for the movies. True love doesn’t exist, right ? Or does it? I think most couples that stay together for a long time are just afraid of being alone or they just stay out convenience, not out of love.

Says the man who doesn't know anything about love?

You know...plenty of people stay married to the same spouse until they die. Plenty of couples love each other so much, that they sit in nursing homes together holding hands.

The reason society pushes marriage is because studies have shown that marriage is good and healthy for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships