Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 03:54 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times

Advertisements

"could propose anytime from January to May"?

I believe she said that her parents were coming in May, for a kind of engagement party, so she thought he'd propose up to and before the engagement party...when they came in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 03:54 PM

61 posts, read 41,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Then why, oh why, do you want to marry someone from a culture with the MOST WOMEN SUPPRESSING and DISRESPECTING views in the world?? Have you ever been in his country? I urge you to take a trip there and see how people are. Because this is him and your life with him.
It is not just Arabic Muslim culture. Look at Chinese culture. Indian culture. Heck, even American culture.

And Lebanon is a very progressive country in the Middle East. It is actually more Christian than Muslim.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
She's mad. We're all allowed a little drama from time to time, and there's nothing like wedding planning to spike the drama up even more.

Thevoicewithin...do you think maybe he felt like he was stuck between a rock and a hard place in this? Or do you feel like it was his way or the highway? Basically...what was his attitude in this?
Sorry. I must have missed your post.

I think he feels stuck. He talked to my sister who then set this meeting up. But I still feel like they could have reached out to me first and let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
"could propose anytime from January to May"?

I believe she said that her parents were coming in May, for a kind of engagement party, so she thought he'd propose up to and before the engagement party...when they came in May.

Yes. Exactly. Our parents set up the engagement party since neither of them want us "unmarried" and just dating. This was in January. So I thought he would propose from Jan-May. Thanks for understanding.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:01 PM

735 posts, read 452,368 times
Your bf did everything backward. He should go ahead and ask your dad for your hand (without telling you), then planned a surprise proposal, then planned the engagement party with the family. I'm a very independent woman like you, have lived on my own since college, despite my mother's protest that single woman shouldn't live on her own until marriage. Yes, our culture is pretty much like yours. An engagement party is more like a wedding ceremony where two families meet and actually approve our marriage going forward. I yielded to that to make both families happy even when both my ex and I knew it's our marriage, our call. It doesn't hurt to make everything smooth sailing going forward, and to make parents on both sides happy. However, since an official engagement party was already set for May, he should forgo both the asking the dad and the proposal altogether, and especially knowing how you felt about it. You both seem immature to get married at this point.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Look, you may both be good people, but not good together, if that makes sense. He is telling in no uncertain terms that his culture, his beliefs about the roles of men and women, etc. are firmly entrenched and important enough to him for him to override your wishes with impunity. He firmly believes it's the right thing to do, and maybe it is, or maybe it's not, but you don't agree with it and feel just as strongly as he does.

If you do go forward with this marriage, consider this the first of many showdowns along the same lines. Ask yourself if you really want to ride this roller coaster. It's not to late to get off.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
Your bf did everything backward. He should go ahead and ask your dad for your hand (without telling you), then planned a surprise proposal, then planned the engagement party with the family. I'm a very independent woman like you, have lived on my own since college, despite my mother's protest that single woman shouldn't live on her own until marriage. Yes, our culture is pretty much like yours. An engagement party is more like a wedding ceremony where two families meet and actually approve our marriage going forward. I yielded to that to make both families happy even when both my ex and I knew it's our marriage, our call. It doesn't hurt to make everything smooth sailing going forward, and to make parents on both sides happy. However, since an official engagement party was already set for May, he should forgo both the asking the dad and the proposal altogether, and especially knowing how you felt about it. You both seem immature to get married at this point.
Yes. The funny thing is that we did not really set the engagement party. It is mainly parents worrying about us "just dating" and to gain some relief that it is not "in sin".

LOL at the single woman should not live alone. I tell my parents, I have two cats. I am not alone.

We want both sides to be happy but as I said, I zoned out not just his parents but mine too because I know all I ever hear is complaints from both ends. So we agreed to the May party and decided to keep things more personal. And then suddenly, him and my sister, lol...

Old 03-24-2017, 04:07 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,600 times
To thevoicewithin,

"This is a interesting post for me as well. What race/religion if you do not mind me asking?"

No, I don't mind at all. The religion was (Roman) Catholic. My husband's ethnic background was Irish-American and mine is Czech and French.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoicewithin View Post
It is not just Arabic Muslim culture. Look at Chinese culture. Indian culture. Heck, even American culture.

And Lebanon is a very progressive country in the Middle East. It is actually more Christian than Muslim.
I can understand your frustration, but it seems like this is already done. I would sit down with him and explain how you feel and why you feel the way you do. Maybe you could compromise and meet with your dad together instead of having him go by himself?

FWIW, I have a friend who is married to a Muslim Lebanese man and they are one of the most independent couples I know. I think there was a struggle to accept it when the friend worked with me because they weren't able to understand how a Muslim woman could be so independent. Her husband lived in a different city a lot of the time and they were just fine with that arrangement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinka View Post
To thevoicewithin,

"This is a interesting post for me as well. What race/religion if you do not mind me asking?"

No, I don't mind at all. The religion was (Roman) Catholic. My husband's ethnic background was Irish-American and mine is Czech and French.
Did your fiancee feel ok about not asking your dad for your hand? How did he take it?

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Look, you may both be good people, but not good together, if that makes sense. He is telling in no uncertain terms that his culture, his beliefs about the roles of men and women, etc. are firmly entrenched and important enough to him for him to override your wishes with impunity. He firmly believes it's the right thing to do, and maybe it is, or maybe it's not, but you don't agree with it and feel just as strongly as he does.

If you do go forward with this marriage, consider this the first of many showdowns along the same lines. Ask yourself if you really want to ride this roller coaster. It's not to late to get off.

^^^This.

And your sister needs to mind her own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships