Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:26 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

I don't think it as much as IQ as the ability to appreciate the other as one's equal in a relationship.

You can substitute "IQ" with almost anything; earning capability, attractiveness, education, politics.. etc.

One of my coworkers is a former academic professor who is married to one of those former "struggle artists" types. I think they are like 30 years into their marriage. I think he graduated from NYU and she went to a local community college. He always talked about how much her ability to "see" the world differently with a free spirit has brought more joy to his life than any academic accomplishment could ever. What she brings to the table in the relationship makes her his "equal".

Last edited by usayit; 03-27-2017 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 07:20 AM

540 posts, read 362,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I don't think it as much as IQ as the ability to appreciate the other as one's equal in a relationship.

You can substitute "IQ" with almost anything; earning capability, attractiveness, education, politics.. etc.

One of my coworkers is a former academic professor who is married to one of those former "struggle artists" types. I think they are like 30 years into their marriage. I think he graduated from NYU and she went to a local community college. He always talked about how much her ability to "see" the world differently with a free spirit has brought more joy to his life than any academic accomplishment could ever. What she brings to the table in the relationship makes her his "equal".
Inspiring, indeed.
Instead of differences being a dividing point it's actually what brings them together.

He is a lucky man.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
She has been in abusive relationships. She appreciates my kindness.

Less with the IQ...this woman is clearly emotionally disturbed.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
High IQ can also mean lack of common sense.
I always say the Hamptons smarts will make you rich, Hampton (VA) smarts help you stay alive.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:04 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
I appreciate your lack of negativity. I'm not sure I'm invested. I have mixed feelings.
Listen to your inner voice that's giving you those mixed feelings. It's waving a red flag for your own good.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
She has been in abusive relationships. She appreciates my kindness.
My heart goes out to her. I know someone who has been through all types of trauma. She's a bit older than me, I do love her. However, she does have a few things to address in her life.

It has already been a tough year for her and I want things to go good for her and will be there for her.

One mistake I made with her is trying to be her rescuer.

Your person could use a lot of support. If you take her on, you are going to be taking on a lot of issues. You have to make sure that you are up for it.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
High IQ can also mean lack of common sense.
hmm...

...I never thought about that. I do know that there are many different types of smarts like street smarts and book smarts.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:18 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
A woman I used to work with confessed to me that she really likes me and is interested in me romantically. It's quite flattering because she is half my age (I will soon be 50 and she just turned 25). I don't think age will be an issue. What I am concerned about is her text messages are showing me she is illiterate. One example of many is she spells "now" know. I am not a grammar nazi but she is really bad.in this area. She is a high school dropout. I am a college graduate who scorea in the top 15% on IQ tests. She doesn't have much to say except how much she likes me and the problems she faces in life. Is there any chance this would work?
After rereading this the OP my gut thoughts are that she's looking for someone to take care of her. I'm not even trying to be nasty, but that is the vibe I'm getting specially if she's talking about problems she faces in life. She's looking for someone to shield her from "life"

The OP is letting the flattery and most likely her youth and probably good looks cloud his judgment. Surely there are other women nearer his age and socio-economic and educational status that would probably be a better overall match.

No offense OP but it sounds like you're operating from the lower unit and not the upper unit. If I were your buddy and we were throwing back a couple of beers that's what I'd tell ya......

Old 03-27-2017, 12:46 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
hmm...

...I never thought about that. I do know that there are many different types of smarts like street smarts and book smarts.
Yes I am a little of both. I'm tested as middle brain therefore my brain decides which side it wants to use. I'm also thinking that's why I get confused one day and fly through problems another day.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Yes I am a little of both. I'm tested as middle brain therefore my brain decides which side it wants to use. I'm also thinking that's why I get confused one day and fly through problems another day.
I think I could be both too. I never tested.

I also go through a few days of confusion only to fly through my problems on other days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships