Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 09:32 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,903,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, as an ego boost. Had a woman admit this to me once. I was surprised she mentioned it and without shame. I just shook my head and said, "You're part of the problem".

They use it as an extension to their already existing social media platforms.
Or they’re bored, or just looking for someone to talk to. Either way, ask to meet in the first week or least set a day and time, or you can predict it’s not going anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 09:46 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 8 days ago)

35,951 posts, read 18,249,493 times
Mod cut.

I'm remembering many years ago, just out of curiosity (I'm not single) I'd go through the Craigslist dating site. Men seeking women, and women seeking men.

I couldn't find a man who would be an appropriate partner although I saw every ad for weeks. Not one single guy, literally, who was a regular guy, with a job, friends, a place to live, a normal sounding personality, looking for an LTR.

Except one guy. Only one, literally. He was in his late 40s, worked for the city in the electrical department, had a very small weekend cottage on some acres in the hill country, divorced, good relationship with his two young adult kids, saw them frequently. Completely average looking guy, a small bit of a belly. I bet he was FLOODED with responses because he was the only one, for a single woman who was seeking a partner around the age of 40. Out of hundreds and hundreds of postings.

If you're literally not getting ANY hits on your page, if you want to send it to me privately I'll tell you what you're doing wrong. ;D Just joking, kinda.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-08-2019 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Orphaned.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:51 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,054,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
[Snip.]

I'm remembering many years ago, just out of curiosity (I'm not single) I'd go through the Craigslist dating site. Men seeking women, and women seeking men.

I couldn't find a man who would be an appropriate partner although I saw every ad for weeks. Not one single guy, literally, who was a regular guy, with a job, friends, a place to live, a normal sounding personality, looking for an LTR.

Except one guy. Only one, literally. He was in his late 40s, worked for the city in the electrical department, had a very small weekend cottage on some acres in the hill country, divorced, good relationship with his two young adult kids, saw them frequently. Completely average looking guy, a small bit of a belly. I bet he was FLOODED with responses because he was the only one, for a single woman who was seeking a partner around the age of 40. Out of hundreds and hundreds of postings.

If you're literally not getting ANY hits on your page, if you want to send it to me privately I'll tell you what you're doing wrong. ;D Just joking, kinda.
No wonder you only found one. I mean...its Craig's List, the bottom of the barrel platform that's next to POF. lol

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-08-2019 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 8 days ago)

35,951 posts, read 18,249,493 times
Quote:
No wonder you only found one. I mean...its Craig's List, the bottom of the barrel platform that's next to POF. lol
Looking through the women seeking men, I did find a number of normal women. Not firecracker hot, but normal women with normal jobs and friends. There was a lot more to pick from, as far as the women posting there vs the men.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:58 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,448,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I have been slowly getting into the dating pool. I experimented with some different styles of ads. Writing the basic list of statistics and an ad that sounds like every other ad only gets bots and hookers. I have yet to hear anyone say that "they don't like to laugh" or "the outdoors is only for the mosquitoes? That might actually be a good starting point for an ad cause it would set you apart from the rest.
!
The profiles I saw, all said they "love travel" then I'd find out they never really went anywhere. They just wanted to meet someone who could fund the traveling for them.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ybor View Post
Why not? It's a cute pic. . Shows my softer side. Besides, women are gonna date me, not a dog, haha!
My profile even states: Don’t pretend to have a dog.
It’s an illusion. So much dishonesty out there, so many choices, I’ll pass on a hint of dishonesty. You aren’t alone though, I ask “is that your dog?, I’m an animal over too.” 50% of the time, it’s someone else’s or they no longer have it. Strange phenomenon.

Except the guy with the monkey, that really was his, but I wasn’t interested because he was shirtless. Some women just don’t like that either. 🤷🏼

Old 07-06-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
The same thing happens to women. I’ll quit replying with someone if they put off meeting. There are a lot of people who use OLD for entertainment purposes or curiosity it seems.
You're right.

If someone doesn't want to meet IRL after a week of corresponding, I'd even block them so they couldn't contact me anymore. That way they won't waste even one more minute of your time. There are a lot of people on OLD for curiosity purposes or who want to play games.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:10 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,054,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The profiles I saw, all said they "love travel" then I'd find out they never really went anywhere. They just wanted to meet someone who could fund the traveling for them.
Yeah, I bypass the "Have passport, will travel!" ones.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I bypass the "Have passport, will travel!" ones.
In some cases, they are gold diggers. If they haven't actually done much traveling, it just seems like they want someone to take them places. They are looking for someone who will finance a lifestyle for them. It's a given that people, generally speaking, like to take vacations so I don't see a need to mention it in a profile.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
In some cases, they are gold diggers. If they haven't actually done much traveling, it just seems like they want someone to take them places. They are looking for someone who will finance a lifestyle for them. It's a given that people, generally speaking, like to take vacations so I don't see a need to mention it in a profile.
Right? I’m not going anywhere I need my passport for until I get to know someone very well. Road trip first. Happy hour before that...most of my vacation time is already planned out anyway. I have a job and pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships