Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:56 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I know women who won't take meetings alone with a man. If it's a lunch meeting, they will invite a third person related to the topic.

I don't think it's weird. It's just something some people believe that's different from what other people believe.

That's bizarre. How do they handle job interviews?

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
There's a lot about Mike Pence that is very weird. This doesn't surprise me.

(Though it seems to me, he's more at risk for cheating by having dinner with another man alone.....)
Right?

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Smart man. He understand relationships and respects his wife.

I know, this will turn political in no time.

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I think it's ridiculous. Men and women can be friends. It's like the Duggar kids who apparantly call out code names to the boys to avert their eyes if a pretty girl comes into view. Can't stand stupid stuff like this. I would be insulted if my husband even suggested he or I do this.
I can't climb aboard this train of thought, as someone who has a female best friend. To me there is a difference between noticing a good looking woman and being alone with a woman with no accountability around. Pence probably wouldn't cheat but I have no issue with him not even wanting to entertain that temptation.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:59 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I was thinking about "dinner" in more professional terms. Having dinner with a colleague, particularly when travelling, is not unheard of. Declining business dinners because someone else might be having wine with their meal is equally strange.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:01 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
If he's talking about a work environment, you can't blame him. Why risk being accused of harassment? I realize it's very uncommon, but it just takes one alleged incident to destroy a career. I take precautions, seems only prudent. In my office, in a one on one meeting the door stays open if at all possible, man or woman (though it's because of a woman to be candid). If I needed to meet with a woman offsite, I have others along more often than not. When that's not possible, we meet in the most innocent, open, public places possible.

You may say but you know Alice, and she would never falsely allege anything. True enough, but in today's world, we can't agree to meet privately with Alice unless we're willing to meet privately with anyone - including someone we don't know well enough to trust. We can't pick and choose anymore. And even a great trusting work relationship can go sour over time.

It's just self preservation, why take unnecessary chances? The world is much different now than it was two generations ago, mostly for the better, but some conventions have changed as a result.

I'd call it a sign of the times, more than "weird."

Old 03-30-2017, 11:02 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I can't climb aboard this train of thought, as someone who has a female best friend. To me there is a difference between noticing a good looking woman and being alone with a woman with no accountability around. Pence probably wouldn't cheat but I have no issue with him not even wanting to entertain that temptation.
Sure, but the most likely scenario that he'd be having dinner with a woman would be professional and political, which should not be a problem. Men and women can work together without any kind of romantic or sexual situation being an issue. We do it every single day. He's either saying that he couldn't control himself around a woman or that women in general couldn't control themselves around him, which is, in fact, a weird thing to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I was thinking about "dinner" in more professional terms. Having dinner with a colleague, particularly when travelling, is not unheard of. Declining business dinners because someone else might be having wine with their meal is equally strange.
^^^This, exactly.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:04 AM

540 posts, read 362,918 times
It's not harming anyone. It works for him
Pretty sure his wife appreciates it.

Bill Clinton comes to mind

Old 03-30-2017, 11:04 AM

651 posts, read 407,983 times
I know a lot more women who live by this rule then men. Personally, I dont think its a bad rule. Even when there is trust some events can turn into "one thing led to another" kind of business.. In theory..

Old 03-30-2017, 11:22 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If he's talking about a work environment, you can't blame him. Why risk being accused of harassment? I realize it's very uncommon, but it just takes one alleged incident to destroy a career. I take precautions, seems only prudent. In my office, in a one on one meeting the door stays open if at all possible, man or woman (though it's because of a woman to be candid). If I needed to meet with a woman offsite, I have others along more often than not. When that's not possible, we meet in the most innocent, open, public places possible.
A man could also accuse you of harassment. Why is this a gender thing? Use your brains, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships