Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,798,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sure, but the most likely scenario that he'd be having dinner with a woman would be professional and political, which should not be a problem. Men and women can work together without any kind of romantic or sexual situation being an issue. We do it every single day. He's either saying that he couldn't control himself around a woman or that women in general couldn't control themselves around him, which is, in fact, a weird thing to believe.

^^^This, exactly.
Pence is super Christian apparently and the Bible has a passage I remember that says something from abstaining from even the appearance of sin. Having dinner alone at a table with a woman that is not his wife, what is the first thing a passer-by is going to think? His rule may be weird from a secular perspective but from a Christian perspective the logic is sound. Hence why I'm not a Christian.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:36 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,380,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Pence is super Christian apparently and the Bible has a passage I remember that says something from abstaining from even the appearance of sin. Having dinner alone at a table with a woman that is not his wife, what is the first thing a passer-by is going to think? His rule may be weird from a secular perspective but from a Christian perspective the logic is sound. Hence why I'm not a Christian.
Pretty much.

I know this view well because I once lived by it. From a conservative evangelical perspective, this makes sense given the doctrine Pence et al., aligns with.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:37 AM

52,349 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Quote:
I was going to mention the Christian component as well, but since I'm not in his head I don't know for sure.

24,201 posts, read 19,256,270 times
I think it's very weird and extremely sexist and means that women can't be in positions of power where they might have to work late and discuss business over a meal the way people commonly do. Of course, when you look at the current White House administration and see all the male faces, it doesn't come as a surprise to hear this attitude from President P****grabber's administration.

8,924 posts, read 5,641,330 times
He doesn't trust himself when he has a couple drinks. Be it man or woman, watch out! We all know how these goodie goodies are....

Old 03-30-2017, 11:38 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,418,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
Only Woman Pence Is Allowed to Eat Alone With Is His Wife

Having dinner alone with the opposite sex when you're taken just...isn't cool. The alcohol thing is weird.
Weird for me but I've known a number of religious couples who wouldn't dream of dinner or anything "alone" with the opposite sex. As if a lunch or dinner at a restaurant is alone, but who knows what kind of s*xy talk could happen without a chaperone present! It's supposedly a sign of respect for your spouse that the other person is jealous, but whatever.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:39 AM

365 posts, read 258,769 times
deleted

Last edited by Rombus; 03-30-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-30-2017, 11:41 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,418,465 times
Quote:
My mind isn't in the gutter so I'd assume nothing about a "couple" - why would you assume all cross-gender pairs are romantically involved...like at lunch even? Silly. Only an issue in a small town for people with very parochial thinking.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:44 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,256,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Weird for me but I've known a number of religious couples who wouldn't dream of dinner or anything "alone" with the opposite sex. As if a lunch or dinner at a restaurant is alone, but who knows what kind of s*xy talk could happen without a chaperone present! It's supposedly a sign of respect for your spouse that the other person is jealous, but whatever.
even if someone wants to do this in a social context, it's still highly problematic in the professional world, because it gets used to justify not putting women in positions of authority.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:48 AM

11,400 posts, read 24,487,413 times
The religion thing is his business, but if he was meeting with Angela Merkel or Queen Elizabeth, would they need a chaperone?

By the same token, he should not meet with anyone alone in order to protect himself from rumors of impropriety.

Why do certain groups of people want to make everything about sex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships