Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 08:11 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

A friend and I were having a conversation about my relationship history and she pointed out what she thinks is a pattern. In my 20s, I dated a woman who had a child from a previous relationship. In my 30s, I dated a woman who turned out to have abandonment issues. And even though we only dated for a short period of time, we became close friends and I've helped her through several crises. In my 40s, I was dating a woman who, very early in the relationship, revealed that she had bipolar disorder. My friend observed that I somehow ended up in relationships with three women who either needed or would potentially need my help. Her argument goes that because I didn't run away screaming when I learned the first woman had a child, that the second woman had dependency issues, or that the third had a mental disorder, I was therefore trying to be a rescuer.

Now, my understanding of the white knight personality is that they seek out people to rescue. They look for people who need help of some kind. But in my case, I never went looking for women who needed to be saved. I never saw these women as being in need of any help, certainly not when I first began pursuing them. If anything, I saw them as the exact opposite, as completely independent women who were doing quite well on their own. So I rejected my friend's argument.

But as I reexamine those three examples my friend gave, it's hard for me not see the pattern she pointed out. Three people who either needed my help or would've potentially needed it. And it's hard for me to dismiss that as just a coincidence. In the case of the third woman, I've lately been plagued by self-doubts over whether I should've asked her to move in with me rather than let her move back home to pay off her massive credit card debt. Part of me now wonders if the only reason I'm having these doubts is because some part me wanted to be her rescuer. When I reflect on it, what I feel is guilt over having stood by when I could've helped.

I guess my question is whether it's possible to fall into that white knight mode of thinking even if you're not deliberately looking for people to rescue? In other words, can you turn into a white knight after you've gotten involved with someone? And is that necessarily a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 08:15 PM

1,261 posts, read 971,889 times
White knight?...thats racist!

Oh, btw, everyone is screwed up and needs to saved sometimes....

Old 04-15-2017, 08:57 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,946,871 times
See how everything "white" is made to be perceived as good and everything "black" is made to be perceived as bad.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:59 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,372,709 times
I... think there are too many factors and variables to make sweeping assumptions about some of these situations. Is she suggesting that single or divorced mothers are inherently in need of rescuing? Really? Based on what, exactly? What suggests this? Was there anything to suggest this particular single mother was looking to be rescued?

These unique dynamics, such as child/ren from a previous relationship or mental illness, doesn't, shouldn't, imply these individuals are in need of rescuing, especially when the parties involved are in stable and supportive environments.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._z5FOFhsMkncjQ

Old 04-15-2017, 09:06 PM

https://youtu.be/YgSPaXgAdzE

Old 04-15-2017, 09:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,875,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand McLovin View Post
Awwww no you aren't. Nice though going back to old music.Pretty sure my friend's got high to that... ...damn losers..lol

Old 04-15-2017, 09:23 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
You're no white knight. You just like picking low hanging fruit

Old 04-15-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Awwww no you aren't.
Thanks so....I guess...https://youtu.be/QtTR-_Klcq8

Old 04-15-2017, 09:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand McLovin View Post
Thanks so....I guess...https://youtu.be/QtTR-_Klcq8
LOL

How about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships