Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
What would you do if you got with a person of your preference, as you have described above... then they lost the ability to walk, years later?

Just wondering...
I don't know but if I found the relationship to be too cumbersome and more trouble than it's worth, I'd likely leave. But if the personality of the person turned into an extremely negative person who bemoaned they lost the ability to walk, that'd be the number one reason I'd bounce not just that they couldn't walk anymore.

This is a reason why I'd never get married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
I wouldn't enter a relationship with someone who had a disability that would affect OUR lifestyle, or significantly alter/limit my own. There is no point to this, unless you have spent time together for other reasons and fall in love despite the limitations.

Once IN a long term relationship (that has existed long enough to be considered permanent), it's different. You already have the love and bonding to keep you together. Unless their personality changes for the worse, then I'd stay with them - if they become bitter or negative, I might not stay.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
For the bold part: you would think/hope so. But I personally know a friend from school, who split up from her husband when he got MS. Some people can't deal with things like that, it seems...
I know one almost as bad. He got MS in his early fifties after he and his live-in bought a house in Lafayette Square in St. Louis, a kind of fancy neighborhood with huge old houses, which are impossible for disabled people to navigate. She refused to move to another house and refused to do anything for him beyond the bare minimum. One thing he always looked forward to in the morning was his newspaper and it was perilous for him to go get it and she would not get it for him. I always considered her a POS after that.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:25 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
For the bold part: you would think/hope so. But I personally know a friend from school, who split up from her husband when he got MS. Some people can't deal with things like that, it seems...
Well, I have a friend whose marriage was okay - not great. He got MS and turned into a really mean person. She left him a few years after the diagnosis. Not because of the MS itself. But what he turned into. Should she have stayed with him just because he has MS but is horrible to be around?

You never know their dynamics and how the relationship was before the health issue arises and how things progress.

Some people are selfish and leave once there is a health issue.
Some people turn into somebody completely unbearable once they get sick. As a partner, should you stick with that person no matter how nasty they are and how they mentally abuse you?

It is not all black and white.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:37 PM

747 posts, read 443,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, I have a friend whose marriage was okay - not great. He got MS and turned into a really mean person. She left him a few years after the diagnosis. Not because of the MS itself. But what he turned into. Should she have stayed with him just because he has MS but is horrible to be around?

You never know their dynamics and how the relationship was before the health issue arises and how things progress.

Some people turn into somebody completely unbearable once they get sick. As a partner, should you stick with that person no matter how nasty they are and how they mentally abuse you?

What about people such as myself who are born with their disability and know no other way to live and so are well adjusted to our lifestyle. Are we undateable/unmarryable what have you?

What about that?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I know one almost as bad. He got MS in his early fifties after he and his live-in bought a house in Lafayette Square in St. Louis, a kind of fancy neighborhood with huge old houses, which are impossible for disabled people to navigate. She refused to move to another house and refused to do anything for him beyond the bare minimum. One thing he always looked forward to in the morning was his newspaper and it was perilous for him to go get it and she would not get it for him. I always considered her a POS after that.
Oh, that's bad. Did they stay together or not, after that, do you know?

Old 04-19-2017, 04:49 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,154 times
Quote:

That is a tricky one, because you are getting into a case of a 'personality change' there, as well as the person changing physically.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:21 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,273 times
Quote:

Exactly. Everyone who thinks they are a rock and can handle everything thrown at them, please go to the caregiving section and read some threads there. It's heartbreaking and a real eye opener to the harsh realities when a person's mental or physical health deteriorates. Caregiving can be real draining and a challenge.

I do believe in sickness and in health, but that's only after marriage or a long number of years together. No one is guaranteed physical or mental health till their death. And people can talk all they want but no one knows how she/he will respond till they are in that situation after a long number of years. Will they stay or won't they?

Old 04-19-2017, 11:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I don't know but if I found the relationship to be too cumbersome and more trouble than it's worth, I'd likely leave. But if the personality of the person turned into an extremely negative person who bemoaned they lost the ability to walk, that'd be the number one reason I'd bounce not just that they couldn't walk anymore.

This is a reason why I'd never get married.
Dude, you're an extremely negative person and you're able-bodied!

Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Dude, you're an extremely negative person and you're able-bodied!
Yeah but I don't advertise it in real life. I fake like I'm a happy person in real life so no one can label me a negative person and I don't become a bummer to be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships