Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 09:02 AM

522 posts, read 343,404 times

Advertisements

I'm talking information like your last name, where you work, Facebook (if one has one), introduce to family/friends, etc.

Let's say you begin dating a total stranger that you met online.

I have a friend who dated someone that he met on a dating site. He broke it off and she started calling him at work and harassing him. She even called his boss!

Another friend went out with someone for awhile. He broke up with her because she wouldn't give him any space. She became friends with his brother's wife and she made him look like the bad guy as if he is at fault for the relationship ending. She also bashed him on facebook. They only dated a few months.

What's your rule on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
I think it's okay to tell them your last name on the first date, I don't see why you wouldn't. And you can tell them what you do, but you don't specifically have to tell them where you're work.

I'd wait until you're exclusive or close to exclusive before you start introducing to family and friends.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Date one. And I don't have rules, I go with the flow.

(Though not introducing them to family on date one).

Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
I'm talking information like your last name, where you work, Facebook (if one has one), introduce to family/friends, etc.

Let's say you begin dating a total stranger that you met online.

I have a friend who dated someone that he met on a dating site. He broke it off and she started calling him at work and harassing him. She even called his boss!

Another friend went out with someone for awhile. He broke up with her because she wouldn't give him any space. She became friends with his brother's wife and she made him look like the bad guy as if he is at fault for the relationship ending. She also bashed him on facebook. They only dated a few months.

What's your rule on this?
I wouldn't meet a stranger without knowing their last name. I would find it weird if somebody wanted to meet me, but didn't want to tell me their name.

I would also find it weird if I was on a date with somebody, and employment came up conversationally, and the person was secretive about where they work/what they do.

Other things, play by ear based on how well you connect with the person, how intimate you want to be, what you're comfortable with. No rule of thumb.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Date one. And I don't have rules, I go with the flow.

(Though not introducing them to family on date one).
This.

I'm an open book, and haven't had any dudes use the information I disclosed against me. None of that. My husband is about as transparent as they come. I still tease him about his username on OKCupid, which was his first and last name. His response: "I don't have anything to hide. I don't care if people look me up. Go ahead."

And I did, and I sent him a FB request the day we started talking.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wouldn't meet a stranger without knowing their last name. I would find it weird if somebody wanted to meet me, but didn't want to tell me their name.
First name I can see but last name? Why is that important if you are meeting in a public place full of people? Someone can give you a fake name so you can't really verify it unless you're asking a a copy of a driver's license or something like that.

Quote:
I would also find it weird if I was on a date with somebody, and employment came up conversationally, and the person was secretive about where they work/what they do.
Why is that?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
First name I can see but last name? Why is that important if you are meeting in a public place full of people? Someone can give you a fake name so you can't really verify it unless you're asking a a copy of a driver's license or something like that.

Why is that?

Why would you NOT share that info with someone you're interested in potentially socializing with on a more than passerby level?

People who aren't comfortable sharing their identity or basic life details aren't people I consider to be particularly well-suited to even a dating level of intimacy. If you're that guarded, socializing with others is only gonna go so far. Because people finding out your name and the work you do is pretty standard.

If you're that guarded, dating may not be for you. The whole point of dating is to get to know people.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:38 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

Why is that?

Seriously? People go out to meet people to get to know them. That includes sharing stuff about you, job, family, passions, where you've lived, etc etc. This is a pretty critical part of getting to know someone. You know, talking to people you just met.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Why would you NOT share that info with someone you're interested in potentially socializing with on a more than passerby level?
On a first date when you barely know the person? Not everyone is nice or friendly or what they appear to be when you first meet. Some people are pretty vindictive and don't take rejection too well.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
On a first date when you barely know the person? Not everyone is nice or friendly or what they appear to be when you first meet. Some people are pretty vindictive and don't take rejection too well.
Yet, I'm supposed to be comfortable even meeting a person so paranoid that they are not giving out names? Nah.

Geez, I get a first and last name from people I meet for a job interview. I'd expect no less of a date, which is essentially an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships