Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:08 AM

17 posts, read 15,709 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm a 48 yr old disabled Navy Veteran who is wheelchair bound. I can still move my legs somewhat and everything works, I just cannot stand or walk. Yet whenever I try to ask a woman out for a date or even just dinner, I am shot down or even told " What do I want with half a man?". I don't think I'm that bad looking, before I was disabled I never had a problem getting a date and more! So what's up ladies, isn't a man in a wheelchair worth dating? I'm very outgoing and self sufficient, so what's up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 05:15 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
They may view you as more trouble because they have to help you or something.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:20 AM

That's just it, I don't need nor do I ask for help or pity, just friendship, respect, companionship and yes love if it comes to that. Is this too much to ask? After all, I'm still human with all that this entails.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Online date.

Send pictures of you from the chest up.

When you agree to meet for the date it will be up to her to decide if she wants to continue seeing you.

Kinda like if there were no pictures exchanged and when you meet they say, 'I didn't know you were black!'

Obviously it shouldn't matter but it will weed out the shallow people.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:47 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel6 View Post
Ok, I'm a 48 yr old disabled Navy Veteran who is wheelchair bound. I can still move my legs somewhat and everything works, I just cannot stand or walk. Yet whenever I try to ask a woman out for a date or even just dinner, I am shot down or even told " What do I want with half a man?". I don't think I'm that bad looking, before I was disabled I never had a problem getting a date and more! So what's up ladies, isn't a man in a wheelchair worth dating? I'm very outgoing and self sufficient, so what's up?
Big welcome to the forum mate and a pleasure to have a veteran aboard

I'm sorry to hear of this and I think many people don't really understand the ins and outs in what being in a wheelchair is and think that you're a lot less capable than you actually are

Perhaps online dating would help mate.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
I use my wheelchair as a catch all excuse to avoid dating and keep my life as simple as possible. That won't work for those who enjoy playing the game, though, and anyone who would refer to or treat you as' half a man' is inexcusably rude.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
That's just it, I don't need nor do I ask for help or pity, just friendship, respect, companionship and yes love if it comes to that. Is this too much to ask? After all, I'm still human with all that this entails.
You appear to have a great attitude about it, which is a huge head start, but just as you hope potential dates would understand your desire for independence, you must understand that they may have many misconceptions and unfamiliarity with your lifestyle and all that it entails. Just as you would expect patience, tolerance and understanding, you have to be willing to give that as well.

I think this blog has a lot of great advice and ideas for you, and even some disabled dating websites:

https://www.vantagemobility.com/blog...h-disabilities

Old 04-17-2017, 05:57 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Half a man, huh? Well now, that not very nice.

Anyway, thanks for your service.

With technology these days, couldn't you get some prosthetic/carbon fiber legs? It seems every disabled Veteran is getting them these days.

You could try online dating sites where women are on wheels, too?

You have options.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:03 AM

I still rock climb; scuba dive, race cars etc. I need someone who wants to go, and not in slow-mo either.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I still rock climb; scuba dive, race cars etc. I need someone who wants to go, and not in slow-mo either.
Sounds like a great line for an online dating profile ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships