Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Has it ever occurred to you stout-hearted that a good relationship can make a person happier than they were alone?
It might be those crazy ones that say they are going to kill themselves if you leave them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 09:15 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
A hot cup of coffee on my sunny deck, while reading a great book while my kid sleeps in makes me happy.

It doesn't necessarily follow that, if that doesn't happen, my life is misery.

Telling someone they make you happy isn't a statement that, were they not in your life, happiness would be impossible to obtain.

Unless you are Bill Withers, writing, "Ain't no Sunshine." And even then, you're probably just trying to write a decent soul song and get paid.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:33 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Personally I'd take it as the compliment it was intended as and NOT over analyse it to death so it turns sour

Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Whenever I have been told this by my wife it hasn't been said with an intent like "without you I would die inside"
she simply means her life is in a good spot and part of that is due to the relationship we share together, Which in turn has allowed her to feel fulfilled and content with life as it exsist in the here and now.

Unless you have a preexisting reason to worry about someone's intentions to you, there is literally no real need to try and assume what "bad places" this is coming from within their minds.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:09 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Personally I'd take it as the compliment it was intended as and NOT over analyse it to death so it turns sour
I know, right?

How this world is changing. Typically what it means is the person is happier because of someone else.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:13 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Whenever I have been told this by my wife it hasn't been said with an intent like "without you I would die inside"
she simply means her life is in a good spot and part of that is due to the relationship we share together, Which in turn has allowed her to feel fulfilled and content with life as it exsist in the here and now.

Unless you have a preexisting reason to worry about someone's intentions to you, there is literally no real need to try and assume what "bad places" this is coming from within their minds.
I have a (woman)friend who swears she would die without me. I love her, but I don't like the idea of her dying.

But these days, every compliment comes from a bad place of low self esteem, ill-intent. I think that a lot of people just don't know how to receive compliments. Cuz everyone's out to get you, yo!

Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 971,696 times
I find the best thing to do to my partner is to over analyze every compliment and positive statement from them until I can find something wrong with it.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:21 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,257,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
So what do you think?
I think he's just being affectionate towards you and enjoys your time together. I wouldn't read anything more into than that.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:23 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
That's kind of what I thought...whether it's someone or something, thinking that's going to make you happy is detrimental. Which is something I learned myself. I would say it's more a self-reliance thing, than self-esteem, at least for me, since I'm independent and need my time and space.

He also made a couple other comments about how he didn't smoke as much when I was around, because I made his anxiety or whatever go away...lol. Which I also thought was sweet and was flattered by, but also sort of wary. Like, you're going to replace smoking with me? um ok...let's see how that works out...lol.
He's telling you he has issues. Are you ok with being with a smoker?

Old 04-25-2017, 03:02 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Nope, and I'm steel hearted rather than stout hearted .

But seriously folks, the first place anyone should look for happiness, contentment, fulfilment or whatever else is within. Then you can share your abundance with somebody else (if you want to) rather than expect them to fill your basket.
Be careful, that just might make that somebody else... happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships