Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 09:13 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times

Advertisements

Fixation as some folks are on looks and money, they don't get it. The reasons you are a guy that women don't want to date.

• First you call us girls. Men date women, not girls.
  • You are terrified to talk to us, and we can tell. It represents not seeing us as people, but a commodity to acquire.
  • Since you are terrified to talk to use, we know you don't want to DATE us. You just want to bang us. The only quality in us you care about is whether or not we meet your minimum standard of attractiveness.
  • You think there is one set of things that "girls" are attracted to, not recognizing that we are all different people.
If you think we can't smell these vibes coming off you, you are wrong.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:45 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,349,706 times
There's certainly a chance that one man who struggles with dating shares these attitudes or characteristics, but aren't men who struggle with dating "all different people"? So point by point;

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Fixation as some folks are on looks and money, they don't get it. The reasons you are a guy that women don't want to date.

I find calling women "girls" obnoxious, and I frequently point it out. I also know a couple of men who do this regularly, even with the various women they're currently dating.
  • You are terrified to talk to us, and we can tell. It represents not seeing us as people, but a commodity to acquire.

I was once terrified to speak to women, and at 59 I still sometimes blush when doing so. I never once thought of women as a commodity to be acquired.
  • Since you are terrified to talk to use, we know you don't want to DATE us. You just want to bang us. The only quality in us you care about is whether or not we meet your minimum standard of attractiveness.

Why would you conclude this? I can understand, I guess, someone mistakenly inferring this from my anxiety. People misconstruing the meaning of anxious behavior is pretty common.
  • You think there is one set of things that "girls" are attracted to, not recognizing that we are all different people.

I agree with this one. I didn't think this way, but lots of men do, including men who date regularly. Not being attractive is a stumbling block to dating, but lots of men and women overcome it. I do agree that people who struggle are more likely to get frustrated and to blame something outside themselves, and even when that something contributes, it's best, and most accurately thought of as a challenge, as opposed to an insurmountable obstacle.

So I'm not suggesting that you should be attracted to men who stumble and stammer socially, and I'm sure some men are as you describe, but your generalization is insulting and kind of ironic, given your stance on such as it applies to you.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:46 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:
I think I'm getting what you're saying but this statement is a linguistic anomaly.
  • First you call us girls. Men date women, not girls: Girls call you girls. "Girls night out." "Girls just want to have fun." etc. It's not just boys who use this and the word choice is often benign.
  • You are terrified to talk to us, and we can tell. It represents not seeing us as people, but a commodity to acquire: This is quite a logical leap. You are right: some guys really are nervous to strike up a conversation but that doesn't mean they don't see women as people. For your claim to have any sort of grip you're going to have to give some verifiable examples otherwise it's entirely unfounded and not worth a second look.
  • Since you are terrified to talk to use, we know you don't want to DATE us. You just want to bang us. The only quality in us you care about is whether or not we meet your minimum standard of attractiveness: Another logical leap. See above.
  • You think there is one set of things that "girls" are attracted to, not recognizing that we are all different people: With this I agree. A lot of guys fail at dating because they try to apply what "girls" want instead of learning what a certain person wants.

Quote:
Some can, some can't. Then again, I question the validity of some of these "vibes" unless you can further expand on your claims.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:50 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
There's certainly a chance that one man who struggles with dating shares these attitudes or characteristics, but aren't men who struggle with dating "all different people"? So point by point;

So I'm not suggesting that you should be attracted to men who stumble and stammer socially, and I'm sure some men are as you describe, but your generalization is insulting and kind of ironic, given your stance on such as it applies to you.
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing. Why did you used to be terrified of talking to women, and why do you still sometimes blush when doing so? Did you not have any sisters or female cousins, or friends who were girls when you were growing up? Is it your shyness that makes you blush, or do you only approach babes to talk to, so their babeness makes you blush?

Help us understand this phenom.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,782 times
What I've noticed about some young men, and to a degree, some older men, too, is that they put women into one of two categories: doable and not doable. I've actually had conversations with some of these twits and that is their world view. I would never apply that to every man - I've met a lot of decent human beings - but I will say, I do see a trend on this one point among some of them...and they complain they don't know how to meet women. Maybe that's part of it?

Old 06-16-2017, 10:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Eh, lots of adult women call men boys, and say boyfriend, or whatever. They call their female friends girls.
I'm a boy. I like girls. It just means male and female to me. Whatever. A professional setting is different, of course.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Eh, lots of adult women call men boys, and say boyfriend, or whatever. They call their female friends girls.
I'm a boy. I like girls. It just means male and female to me. Whatever. A professional setting is different, of course.
Right, intention and context is everything. "Girls" can be used in a friendly, respectful way, or it can be dripping with condescension.

Sometimes I wonder if the men who complain so fiercely about women have never been involved in any activity like a sport or a hobby that put them out there and got them used to disappointment. Like, sometimes you try out and don't make the team. Sometimes you play your heart out and still lose. After that, you brush yourself off and try again, you don't go home never to leave the house again, complaining all the while that the other team cheated and the coaches hate you.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right, intention and context is everything. "Girls" can be used in a friendly, respectful way, or it can be dripping with condescension.

Sometimes I wonder if the men who complain so fiercely about women have never been involved in any activity like a sport or a hobby that put them out there and got them used to disappointment. Like, sometimes you try out and don't make the team. Sometimes you play your heart out and still lose. After that, you brush yourself off and try again, you don't go home, never to leave the house again, complaining all the while that the other team cheated.

I didn't make varsity basketball senior year. It still burns

Co-ed water polo club wasn't a bad back up... nah, it was.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:17 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:

I refer to "women" as "girls" all the time. Never had problems dating.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I refer to "women" as "girls" all the time. Never had problems dating.

Whenever a girl has called me a cute boy (as happened earlier this week), I always respond positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships