Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have had several friends who had to get rid of pets after they had kids because the pet did not bond with the baby. The reality is that some pets just are not going to bond, and the baby is entirely innocent. In other cases, the SO might be allergic. I am allergic to cats and allergic to dander, so dogs are pretty much out as well. It is not always the cruelty or bad character of a person that results in having to get rid of a pet.
Newsflash...No pets are going to bond with a baby. I have two cats that run from my son the moment he wakes up. But they sleep with him at night, so they do love him.

I am allergic to cats and dogs. We coexist just fine. I hate people that make excuses to get rid of pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Aww, that poor thing... What a cruel thing to do to a beloved pet who was part of the family *before* the "significant other" moved in! I honestly don't understand how people can do this to their pet.

Here's a story I saw on Yahoo today that brought tears to my eyes:

Woman Dumps 10-Year-Old Dog at Shelter and Tells Grandson to Take a Photo to Remember Her

A woman walked into the Clay County Animal Care and Control, at the time without a dog and explained to shelter staff she wanted to surrender a dog who had originally belonged to her daughter. Just a few hours later, the woman returned with Duchess, who was innocent to the fact that she was being abandoned... Read more
OMG poor baby! I would never do that. My dogs love me so much. Abandoning them like that would be simply cruel.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:31 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
OMG poor baby! I would never do that. My dogs love me so much. Abandoning them like that would be simply cruel.
Agreed I have a coworker that has been fighting to get her apartment complex to let her have her dog, which has been staying at the shelter since her ex dropped it off. I would move to a place that allowed pets. I do not get it.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:35 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Agreed I have a coworker that has been fighting to get her apartment complex to let her have her dog, which has been staying at the shelter since her ex dropped it off. I would move to a place that allowed pets. I do not get it.
My dogs would just sit there and cry and cry. We took them to the shelter for their spay because it was cheaper than the vet. Big mistake! They were so scared waiting around for their turn. When I picked them up, one of them almost pulled her stitches she jumped in the car so fast. Get me out of here Mom!

Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Newsflash...No pets are going to bond with a baby. I have two cats that run from my son the moment he wakes up. But they sleep with him at night, so they do love him.

I am allergic to cats and dogs. We coexist just fine. I hate people that make excuses to get rid of pets.
Thanks, agreed. A human picks/adopts a pet for it's life. As soon as someone says they are allergic or don't like cats/dogs, I do NOT try to figure out how to get them in my house and throw away the pets.

The door was closed to the baby's room. Parakeets and lizards don't bond well with babies either, I kept them separate.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
. In other cases, the SO might be allergic. I am allergic to cats and allergic to dander, so dogs are pretty much out as well. It is not always the cruelty or bad character of a person that results in having to get rid of a pet.
So the allergic person needs to find someone who has no pets. They are lower on the hierarchy than a pet who has been with their owner for years.

I can't imagine how you think it is NOT cruel to dump a pet for someone who, in most cases, will be gone in a few weeks or months. Cats and dogs ARE sentient beings, they do feel emotion, and they have been known to grieve when a human close to them dies or otherwise exits their life.

My cat was dumped at the shelter due to "allergies." Whoever did it, it's their loss and my gain. As long as she is alive, someone having allergies is an instant deal breaker for me, because I will NEVER make her go through being abandoned again.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:01 PM

926 posts, read 673,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Thanks, agreed. A human picks/adopts a pet for it's life. As soon as someone says they are allergic or don't like cats/dogs, I do NOT try to figure out how to get them in my house and throw away the pets.

The door was closed to the baby's room. Parakeets and lizards don't bond well with babies either, I kept them separate.
Yep. As I've always said in my thread, pets (especially cats and dogs) are sentient beings and should not be treated any less than a human being or be easily discarded like an object just because they are incapable of speech and their intelligence isn't as extensive as ours.

If Cynthia was still alive, I most certainly would NOT take her to the humane society or remove her from my life if any guy I was dating had "allergies" or just didn't like cats. Um, no. If a pet is in someone's life FIRST, before anyone else entered the picture, that pet has seniority over anyone else that wants to inhabit the home; or, at least they should. People come and go (and break your heart, cheat on you, mistreat you, etc.) but a loyal and loving pet is yours for life...and they will stick with you through thick and thin and will love you forever.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:02 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
I am a huge animal lover. Dogs especially but I love them all. If anything, if I were to get close to someone with pets, I'd make that person jealous by interacting too much with their pets.

Dogs, kitties and babies love me. They just do. People have commented on that my whole life.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A boa that is allowed freedom around the house? A house goat? 26 ferrets?

I think there has to be a line in there somewhere...
One of my degrees is in biology, and I worked in a rat lab back in the days when I was pre-vet. The goat and ferrets are fine. The boa would be fine as long as it's confined because it might eat a ferret!

Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 PM

926 posts, read 673,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
One of my degrees is in biology, and I worked in a rat lab back in the days when I was pre-vet. The goat and ferrets are fine. The boa would be fine as long as it's confined because it might eat a ferret!
Um, I'd be more concerned of the boa constrictor squeezing me to death while I'm sleeping than it eating a ferret!

I'd definitely draw the line of a snake (big or small) roaming through the house! I seriously would NEVER sleep again lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships