Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:03 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I once dated a guy who owned three dogs. I'm not really a lover of dogs (in the house anyway... animals belong outside in a barn imo) and he stopped seeing me because of it. I would never ever mistreat any animal, I like most dogs personalities, but it must have been obvious that I didn't like to go over to his house, because it smelled like wet dog, because they jumped on me, and because there was no where to sit that wasn't covered in dog hair. In summary, we were not compatible and he recognized that fact before I did.

My husband had a bunny when I met him. He was cute, but we didn't "bond", I tolerated him. Now he has gone to bunny heaven and we are pet free and I intend to keep it that way. Whew!
Well you got lucky! At a park where I walk, I've seen a woman pushing a stroller at different times. The first time, I thought she has a baby in it, but up close I saw that there were two dogs. Seemed nutty to me because I always thought that dogs were walked on a leash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times
I wanted to ask everyone here who are cat lovers/owners a question:

Will a 12 week old feral kitten ever be able to acclimate to being an indoor cat and living in a loving home? I just saw an ad on Craigslist where a person has 5 feral outdoor kittens (including their mama) that have been hanging around her house and she wants to find good homes for them before animal control comes and takes them. She said the kittens all have fleas and they come around with their mama in the early evening time when she puts food out to feed them all.

My heart broke when I saw this ad, but honestly, I don't want to take in a kitten that is infested with fleas and is used to living outdoors roaming around with no semblance of a stable or normal home life.

I'm thinking this might be more than I can (and am willing to) handle and that I should probably just go to the Humane Society as my original plan. But...I just feel so sorry for this little kitten.

Is there any way I could get rid of the fleas first *before* bringing the kitten into my home? Would she ever calm down and get used to living with a human as an indoor cat without her brothers and sisters?

Has anyone here ever adopted a 3 month old FERAL kitten and the kitten adjusted to an indoor home life without any other kittens or cats around them? Just wanted some opinions or advice before I actually go out and see this kitten - because I know what's going to happen as soon as I see her...I'm going to probably take her on the spot...but I DON'T want a flea infestation in my new apartment nor do I want a nervous and unruly kitten that's going to pee all over everything or scratch and bite me out of fear of having its environment changed...

Thanks in advance for any *honest* advice or suggestion regarding this!

Old 08-04-2017, 01:19 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I wanted to ask everyone here who are cat lovers/owners a question:

Will a 12 week old feral kitten ever be able to acclimate to being an indoor cat and living in a loving home? I just saw an ad on Craigslist where a person has 5 feral outdoor kittens (including their mama) that have been hanging around her house and she wants to find good homes for them before animal control comes and takes them. She said the kittens all have fleas and they come around with their mama in the early evening time when she puts food out to feed them all.

My heart broke when I saw this ad, but honestly, I don't want to take in a kitten that is infested with fleas and is used to living outdoors roaming around with no semblance of a stable or normal home life.

I'm thinking this might be more than I can (and am willing to) handle and that I should probably just go to the Humane Society as my original plan. But...I just feel so sorry for this little kitten.

Is there any way I could get rid of the fleas first *before* bringing the kitten into my home? Would she ever calm down and get used to living with a human as an indoor cat without her brothers and sisters?

Has anyone here ever adopted a 3 month old FERAL kitten and the kitten adjusted to an indoor home life without any other kittens or cats around them? Just wanted some opinions or advice before I actually go out and see this kitten - because I know what's going to happen as soon as I see her...I'm going to probably take her on the spot...but I DON'T want a flea infestation in my new apartment nor do I want a nervous and unruly kitten that's going to pee all over everything or scratch and bite me out of fear of having its environment changed...

Thanks in advance for any *honest* advice or suggestion regarding this!
A close friend who already had two cats and two dogs accepted three feral kittens rescued from the street. They were taken to the vet and treated for worms, fleas, and vaccines. The plan was to only foster them, and every weekend she would round them up to be taken to an adoption place and each weekend she returned with all three of them. This went on for months until she decided to just keep them. Whenever I'd visit, the feral cats were always unseen - hiding in furniture upstairs. They only ever came out to eat or use the litter. All I can say from this experience - the feral cats never became affectionate or interested in bonding despite the presence of the older, social cats in the house.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
A close friend who already had two cats and two dogs accepted three feral kittens rescued from the street. They were taken to the vet and treated for worms, fleas, and vaccines. The plan was to only foster them, and every weekend she would round them up to be taken to an adoption place and each weekend she returned with all three of them. This went on for months until she decided to just keep them. Whenever I'd visit, the feral cats were always unseen - hiding in furniture upstairs. They only ever came out to eat or use the litter. All I can say from this experience - the feral cats never became affectionate or interested in bonding despite the presence of the older, social cats in the house.
My sister had a similar experience with a couple of feral cats that she "adopted". They'd allow her to be near them but never touch them, though she did manage to trap them to get them fixed and vaccinated. When she moved 1000 miles away she found them a home with someone with a barn and a lot of property, since they were never going to be great pets

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-04-2017 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Thanks to both of you for honestly answering my question. And when I read both of your replies, it was what I was afraid of seeing...because I kind of figured this is what might happen if I tried to adopt a feral kitten that was used to not having any human contact (other than being fed) and used to being wild and roaming around outside with no stable home life or love from a person.

I'm just going to stick to my original plan of going to the Humane Society....and I have to forget about that poor little kitten. I wish I can save every single feral cat and kitten in my local area, but, I just can't.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Thanks to both of you for honestly answering my question. And when I read both of your replies, it was what I was afraid of seeing...because I kind of figured this is what might happen if I tried to adopt a feral kitten that was used to not having any human contact (other than being fed) and used to being wild and roaming around outside with no stable home life or love from a person.

I'm just going to stick to my original plan of going to the Humane Society....and I have to forget about that poor little kitten. I wish I can save every single feral cat and kitten in my local area, but, I just can't.
It's tough, I know what you're going through. My bf bought a fancy breed cat that he prefers, and at the same time he agreed to watch a friend's shelter-adopted cat, as they were getting evicted. I spent several weeks visiting him during this time and I much preferred the plain, everyday adult tabby cat on loan to the fancy breed kitten he purchased. The loaner cat was so calm, affectionate, and social. The expensive cat was mostly aloof and my daughter was miffed because the kitten wouldn't allow her near him. She was very patient though, and eventually he tolerated her. The thing is, my bf was asking if I'd consider to get a cat for my daughter, and I told him that I'd rather a cat like the common housecat he was temporarily caring for but there is really no telling the temperament of a cat based on the brief time one spends at a shelter or breeder. If I'm going to take on the responsibility of a cat, I'd like the cat to actually be friendly and a companion pet - not dart away as soon as it sees my outstretched hand.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:50 PM

37 posts, read 21,874 times
My puppy means the world to me. however, my puppy is afraid of people and is difficult. As long as my partner would do a genuine effort to work things out I would be ok.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The thing is, my bf was asking if I'd consider to get a cat for my daughter, and I told him that I'd rather a cat like the common housecat he was temporarily caring for but there is really no telling the temperament of a cat based on the brief time one spends at a shelter or breeder. If I'm going to take on the responsibility of a cat, I'd like the cat to actually be friendly and a companion pet - not dart away as soon as it sees my outstretched hand.
^^^^ This.

I don't want a kitten that's going to grow up being always afraid of being held, cuddled and petted. I want her to bond with me just as I'll bond with her...I want her to want to be in my company and I want her to enjoy me loving her, doting on her and spoiling her rotten.

I don't want a skittish kitten that's going to grow up to become an anti-social skittish cat; most of these poor little things had no control over what kind of life they were born into. Some kittens are born into a real home with a human family, they're raised around people who love them and are used to human interaction...but, alternatively, a lot of kittens are born into a feral, nomadic existence where they have barely (if) any human contact and no secure, loving and safe place to call home. It is these types of cats that are usually unable to ever bond with a human, as the posts by DontH8Me and fleetiebelle describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships