Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,929 times

Advertisements

Being let go from a job due to “issues” and another because you had no way to get there, and another because you were inefficient and then saying it’s not your fault does not sound to me like someone that is down on their luck. It sounds like someone who gets a job because they have to, discovers that they just don’t feel like doing what they are supposed to do, does the bare minimum or even less than that, and gets fired on a repeating basis.

Would you find that attractive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 AM

228 posts, read 161,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Being let go from a job due to “issues” and another because you had no way to get there, and another because you were inefficient and then saying it’s not your fault does not sound to me like someone that is down on their luck. It sounds like someone who gets a job because they have to, discovers that they just don’t feel like doing what they are supposed to do, does the bare minimum or even less than that, and gets fired on a repeating basis.

What if you gained 20 lbs, struggled to lose it and your SO dumpes you after x amount of months saying he lost his attraction for you? He's reasonable so understand.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:28 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I have a little problem with the "not my fault" statement.
Once or twice it could be a bad luck or really not their fault, but a permanent issue being always someone's else fault? I have a hard time believing it. Just look into the reasons why someone gets constantly fired from the jobs, and reevaluate the behaviour leading to it.
Who would want to date a person who is always blaming others, and never acknowledge their own mistakes? Not me!
Yep. Absolutely.

Anybody can have bad luck. An uninsured driver ramming your car. A natural disaster. Those kinds of things.

But when your life is a constant litany of troubles with work, spats with friends or romantic interests, a running battle with creditors, or whatever, then that means you have not mastered running your life. It might be a case of not planning ahead, choosing the wrong people in life, or whatever.

So when has this as a constant theme in their lives but it's NEVER THEIR FAULT, it almost certainly is their fault, but they won't take a hard look at how they operate and won't change their lives. And, given how a long-term relationship is a partnership, a romantic interest is fully justified at looking at someone with constant 'bad luck' and wondering if it's wise to throw in with that person.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:44 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post

Well everyone has to work, lol if I had my way I'd volunteer at my church every day & start a kitten farm, but yes, like everybody else i have to work. I feel like I put effort into my job. I loved working at McDonalds it actually wasnt bad at all until the end. I liked the people and the customers even tho it got stressful. The last few jobs haven't been my favorite but in any situation I'm in I try to look at the positive. I put in effort & tried super hard. It just wasn't enough.

And no, I guess I wouldn't. A few of my boyfriends have had jobs, a few haven't. It never bothered me much since I only really ever cared about the person. Anyone can have bad luck I guess.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
So when has this as a constant theme in their lives but it's NEVER THEIR FAULT, it almost certainly is their fault, but they won't take a hard look at how they operate and won't change their lives. And, given how a long-term relationship is a partnership, a romantic interest is fully justified at looking at someone with constant 'bad luck' and wondering if it's wise to throw in with that person.
Well that's true. Some people just don't want to take the gamble & I don't blame them!

Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Well, it WAS your fault. Nobody gets let go multiple times and is never at fault.

Why don't you go for a higher than entry level job? What skills do you have?

I dated jobless people - it was just a rough patch for them - but I would not date anybody who keeps getting fired. How can you say it would not affect your partner when you are not working and broke? If your bf wants to go on a vacation, he cannot go with you without paying your share. If he wants to start a family and plan a future, real estate, retirement - you have nothing to contribute and will always have to depend on the other person.

Life is not a fairytale, you have to clean up your act and find a REAL job and stick with it.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Sorry OP, but you need to look long and hard about why you can't hold a job, and fix that. It is much more important than whether or not you have a boyfriend.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:15 AM

888 posts, read 555,423 times
Not being able to hold down a job is a big deal. I wouldn't date someone who had this issue.

As far as it " never being your fault", I don't really buy that. It can't always be someone else's fault if you can't ever keep a job.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry OP, but you need to look long and hard about why you can't hold a job, and fix that. It is much more important than whether or not you have a boyfriend.
I know I just started the thread to ask people their opinions to see if he was right or not. I guess he was.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:33 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
One of my first jobs, when I was 18, was working in the kitchen of a nursing home. For the most part, the experience went very very badly. Some things WERE my fault...although innocently done, and some were really and truly NOT my fault. But compiled with the ways I WAS responsible...let's just say I wasn't a good fit. LOL

So...I get it, that sometimes, despite our best efforts, we're not meant for some jobs.

My advice would be to try to examine where things went wrong, and fix what you can fix. For example, if transportation is a problem, try to fix that. Get your license, get a car, figure out public transportation...whatever needs to be done to make yourself one step more reliable, and so on.

I'm not going to beat you up. Just do what you can to make yourself more hireable. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships