Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 AM

53 posts, read 49,063 times

Advertisements

At varying stages in my life, I have referred to my love interest as:
  • Teens-20's: girlfriend
  • 30's-40's: my lady
  • 50+: partner

To introduce my love interest as my girlfriend in my 40's felt weak and childish. To refer to her as my lady, which was okay but felt cheesy. So I settled on partner now and it seems to encapsulate who she is to me. Not married so wife is not accurate although, she gets a kick out of my sometimes referring her as such.

So how do you introduce or refer to your love interest to family, friends the public in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 06:22 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Just usually by name. It's implied that we are together.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:23 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
We generally introduced each other using our name as it was obvious we were a couple. If someone asked if we were
married at that time we would tell them no. Major thought was not put into this.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:30 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
"My lady" makes me gag.

We just had a thread about this last week. The consensus is there is no good general grownup term for love interest that ticks ALL the boxes.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ther-babe.html

I could be called girlfriend till I'm 100 and be fine with it. In fact my 89-year-old grandma was telling me about her "boyfriend" just the other day.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Hi Bill, How are you? This is _____. ______ this is Bill.

No reason to delve into specifics.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,634 times
'Have you seen my new mirror?'

Old 06-22-2017, 07:47 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
"This is SnugglyBumps. We like to make the naked pretzel."

Old 06-22-2017, 08:17 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,006 times
Guess I'm the odd one out, 'cause I think "my lady" sounds classy.
I haven't been in a "steady" relationship in a while, but I have introduced as "my lady" in the past. I think now I might just say: "This is (name of person).."

Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"My lady" makes me gag.

We just had a thread about this last week. The consensus is there is no good general grownup term for love interest that ticks ALL the boxes.
On the same note, "my girlfriend" sounds... how you say?... overachieving. Like you're demonstrating that you have a girlfriend. Which I can see as being totally normal in one's teens, and maybe until college graduation. But after that, it's more normal to have one than to not have one. So an introduction as "my girlfriend" isn't necessary. Unless you're being territorial against unscrupulous men. Which is fine.

So as an adult, a simple "X, this is Y. Y, this is X." is perfectly good. The rest is determined by context and body language. So if you and X are holding hands or have your arms around each other, you're probably together romantically. If you and X are simply standing, chances are you're just friends or even colleagues.

Certain situations can complicate things. Situations like social dancing, where it's normal to get relatively close with non-romantic partners or even strangers. But more often than not, the above paragraph applies.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:05 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,976 times
I think I feel a disconnect here, but I'm not sure.

There are, ahem, a few threads on this forum along the lines of "What are we" and there are myriad terms to describe different types of relationships: wife/husband, fiancee/fiance, girl/boyfriend, casually dating, FWB, FB, etc...so these are obviously distinctions that are meaningful for people.

Yet, in this thread, so far most people have said it is not important to define the relationship to other people.

Of course, defining something for one's self in no way obligates one to define it to others.

So, I guess, after thinking through it a bit more, I agree with the majority. Introduce a person by their name and if anyone wants to know more specifics they can ask.

But, then what do you say?

ETA
After re-reading the OP it again comes down to specifics.

Introducing someone to acquaintances at a dinner party is different than introducing them to close friends and family.

I also don't think most of society is ready for "Hi, this is my friend, with benefits, Katerina". Which might be all the more reason to start introducing people that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships