Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:22 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ugh... NO! That would be very humiliating to me, to announce that someone refuses to marry me...
Why? It was his issue, not mine. Not something for me to be humiliated by. I was just no longer caring about his feelings, and had established an internal, kicking him out date, when he decided to cheat and move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
It's no wonder our society as a whole seems less trusting these days.

Why does it matter? people keep asking. Why do I need to know the details of your relationship?? (Even though "status," not "details" is what the OP asked about.)

It matters in a sociological sense, for building community. Most of us don't think about it as we go about our daily routines, and when we go to an event where we might meet stranger, most of us probably don't consider hedonic vs. agonic modes of interaction, as you may have studied in sociology class.

But when you meet someone for the first time, it could go one of two general directions: friendship or conflict. (Yes, most of us these days don't think that hard about it and are reluctant to categorize, but it happens whether you want to admit it or not). You tend to generally think one way or another about someone after meeting them and spending a little time.

One factor that influences the interaction is the level of trust that is built, and one factor that influences trust is the type of information that is shared. If you have a baseline of trust with them, you could get to know them better; you could become friends. They could hire you at their company. You could sell them a house. You get the picture.

So you could just stand there and not share anything and go on with your day, but the fact is that little interactions like these go toward building your community (or not), which is why "it matters."

Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why? It was his issue, not mine. Not something for me to be humiliated by. I was just no longer caring about his feelings, and had established an internal, kicking him out date, when he decided to cheat and move along.
It's humiliating because if you KNOW all this ^^^ already, it makes you look either 1) dumb or 2) like a bad decision maker to still be with him.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:45 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's humiliating because if you KNOW all this ^^^ already, it makes you look either 1) dumb or 2) like a bad decision maker to still be with him.
When you have kids, sometimes you have to put them ahead of your own needs. And at that moment they needed him, more than I needed to hurt them by throwing him out.

And it did work out doing it my way and letting him make the fool out of himself. I do not ever have to hear my son say I threw his father out on the street.

But I did learn to not let another man get too comfortable.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:55 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
It's no wonder our society as a whole seems less trusting these days.

Why does it matter? people keep asking. Why do I need to know the details of your relationship?? (Even though "status," not "details" is what the OP asked about.)

It matters in a sociological sense, for building community. Most of us don't think about it as we go about our daily routines, and when we go to an event where we might meet stranger, most of us probably don't consider hedonic vs. agonic modes of interaction, as you may have studied in sociology class.

But when you meet someone for the first time, it could go one of two general directions: friendship or conflict. (Yes, most of us these days don't think that hard about it and are reluctant to categorize, but it happens whether you want to admit it or not). You tend to generally think one way or another about someone after meeting them and spending a little time.

One factor that influences the interaction is the level of trust that is built, and one factor that influences trust is the type of information that is shared. If you have a baseline of trust with them, you could get to know them better; you could become friends. They could hire you at their company. You could sell them a house. You get the picture.

So you could just stand there and not share anything and go on with your day, but the fact is that little interactions like these go toward building your community (or not), which is why "it matters."

I understand your point, and of course people need to share to bond. But I want to know about the person. Who they are, what are their passions, how they think, and to explore common ground and interests, or to learn about something they're passionate about, etc.

I don't need to know their relationship status. That doesn't tell me anything I need to know about them in order to make a personal connection. It may be something I should know before making a romantic connection, but that's not on my mind when I first am introduced to someone, especially at a social event.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
But I want to know about the person. Who they are, what are their passions, how they think, and to explore common ground and interests, or to learn about something they're passionate about, etc.
Being introduced to someone's boyfriend doesn't preclude you from learning any of that ^^^ about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

I don't need to know their relationship status.
That doesn't tell me anything I need to know about them in order to make a personal connection. It may be something I should know before making a romantic connection, but that's not on my mind when I first am introduced to someone, especially at a social event.
I don't think anyone is saying we NEED to know this tidbit. My only point is that it provides context to the situation. You keep fluffing this up to be more than it is.

The OP asked a very simple question; protests like this turn an easy point of fact into a self-indulgent manifesto.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Being introduced to someone's boyfriend doesn't preclude you from learning any of that ^^^ about them.

I don't think anyone is saying we NEED to know this tidbit. My only point is that it provides context to the situation. You keep fluffing this up to be more than it is.

The OP asked a very simple question; protests like this turn an easy point of fact into a self-indulgent manifesto.

It doesn't provide any useful context. Being told XYX is someone's partner or boyfriend doesn't help me learn about a person in any way.

And I'm introduced to boyfriends all the time, they're just presented as people with names, not "boyfriends".

The OP did ask a simple question, and the answer is simple. I introduce people the same way people are introduced to me "Hi, I'm Tim. This is Jane".

The only one protesting here is you that seems to think you're entitled to, or at least benefit from, knowing the relationship status of people you just met. It's none of my business, I couldn't care less. If they choose to share or advertise, that is their business, not mine.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:16 PM

426 posts, read 352,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofasetic View Post
At varying stages in my life, I have referred to my love interest as:
  • Teens-20's: girlfriend
  • 30's-40's: my lady
  • 50+: partner

To introduce my love interest as my girlfriend in my 40's felt weak and childish. To refer to her as my lady, which was okay but felt cheesy. So I settled on partner now and it seems to encapsulate who she is to me. Not married so wife is not accurate although, she gets a kick out of my sometimes referring her as such.

So how do you introduce or refer to your love interest to family, friends the public in general?
Well when I'm in a relationship I say, this is the person I'm getting freaky with. 😎

Old 06-22-2017, 01:18 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
The OP asked a very simple question;
So, the answer to that simple question is to introduce people by name. That's all others need to know.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:00 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,330 times
Maybe it's admission by omission.

I was thinking that I spend time with people who aren't my romantic/sexual interest. My sister for example. It's not rare that I go out with her and my nephews. I'm sure that most people, who give it a thought, assume that we're a couple with our children. And, when the occasion comes up, I usually introduce as: so-and-so this is my sister, name, and this is so-and-so.

Is this weird in any way?
I don't think so

So, why is "this is my boy/girl friend" (whatever) any different?

"This is my neighbor, ______"
"This is _______, we work together"
"Meet _____. We went to college together and he/she is in town for a few days"
etc

None of these seem too controversial. So, why is "This is [my current romantic interest]" any different?

But, if it is, then maybe we can agree to announce all relationships that are not romantic, so if no explanation of the relationship is given we can all assume that it is a romantic relationship.

ETA
I wonder if the root of this whole problem are lingering misguided beliefs about sex and relationships. That's it is somehow inappropriate to admit to these acts outside of "my husband/wife"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships