Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:08 AM

1,199 posts, read 731,351 times

Advertisements

Attractive people get away with more. In other news, the lions still suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 01:02 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,374,503 times
Not for me. That's not how I operate. I wouldn't get involved with someone who isn't compatible, attractive or not.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:18 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,620,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I have read countless threads and posts in the relationship forum regarding how some people have overlooked certain deal breakers that they had because the person they were dating (or were in a relationship with) was so "hot" and "so good in bed".

So...are some people that superficial (and desperate) that they would allow a person's sexual and physical attractiveness to dictate how much dysfunction, abuse (in any form) or mistreatment that they would willingly tolerate?

Why would a person allow another human being to mistreat them, abuse them or take advantage of them (in whatever way) just because they're sexually attractive? Since when does physical appearance or sexual prowess take precedence over how a person is treated emotionally and mentally?

Why do some people place so much value and importance on a person's physical appearance (and how good they are in bed) versus how that person treats them? Are those people's priorities completely messed up?
I mean, the way I see it, women put up with tons of crap from men who I would never be interested in all the time. So yes, I can overlook some things for someone who I find really attractive. Better to deal with his crap than an ugly guy's crap.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:19 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Attractiveness buys you a lot of slack in the dating world. The ugly person wont get anywhere near the breaks a hot person would.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:32 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
I have read countless threads and posts in the relationship forum regarding how some people have overlooked certain deal breakers that they had because the person they were dating (or were in a relationship with) was so "hot" and "so good in bed".

So...are some people that superficial (and desperate) that they would allow a person's sexual and physical attractiveness to dictate how much dysfunction, abuse (in any form) or mistreatment that they would willingly tolerate?

Why would a person allow another human being to mistreat them, abuse them or take advantage of them (in whatever way) just because they're sexually attractive? Since when does physical appearance or sexual prowess take precedence over how a person is treated emotionally and mentally?

Why do some people place so much value and importance on a person's physical appearance (and how good they are in bed) versus how that person treats them? Are those people's priorities completely messed up?
Some people have always been this way, I have seen this often in my life time. I don't know why that is, they probably don't know. Perhaps some low self esteem issues in some areas, you would need a psychiatrist to figure it out.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:10 PM

102,222 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:

Yes. I recall the guy who said his gf was "perfect", except for one little problem: she doesn't work, she doesn't do anything in the home--not cook or clean, while the bf works a long day and pays all their expenses. If he doesn't do the cooking for dinner, there's no dinner.

In the end, we managed to drag a confession out of him that she's so beautiful that he can't get over his "luck" in landing her as a gf, so he's been willing to put up with her laziness up to a point. But it's starting to wear thin, he said. But he doesn't want to break up with her, because she's so pretty! "Please, C-D, give me the magic wand that will make her contribute to the household in some way, because otherwise, she's perfect!"

So, yeah, OP.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:

April,

It isn't necessarily that these people are superficial or desperate, although in a lot of cases that's certainly true. I think a lot of these folks are just naive. Too often, particularly when we're young and inexperienced in relationships, we think the other person will change. We might even delude ourselves into thinking that we'll be the ones who change them. I think this is one reason certain women are drawn to the bad boy. In other cases, there's an element of denial at work. Everyone is telling you this person is treating you badly, but you don't want to believe it. Because then you feel like a fool. Lastly, I think it's simply a matter of not being able to think clearly. Your feelings are so strong that you can't be objective, which is why you tune out the stuff everyone else is telling you.

I've overlooked a lot of things I probably shouldn't have. But one thing I never tolerated was being treated badly. Anyone who does is suffering from low self-esteem. They may have convinced themselves they'll never do better than the person they're with and that they should just be thankful this person wants them. It's sad.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Block the jerks that treat you like crap.

Many tolerate being treated like crap because they think they can't do any better.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:44 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,232,180 times
Yes it does.

I've read a few threads here where the women gave chances to men simply because they were good-looking. Happens a lot IRL but some don't want to admit it and try hard to find other qualities to justify gutting out the relationship.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,781 times
Quote:
Does a person's attractiveness influence how many deal breakers a man or woman will overlook?
Of course

As with everything, potential mates are a mixture of positive and negative (to us) qualities. If the bad qualities outweigh the good (not necessarily 50/50), then the relationship will end.

*oversimplified, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships