Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
There is a stereotype that black women will always fight with their men. There are many who would try to avoid that. .
ALOT of black women have too much negative attitude but can you blame them? MOST black guys don't want the responsiblity of taking care of their women and kids.
Sad but true.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:49 PM

15 posts, read 39,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
ALOT of black women have too much negative attitude but can you blame them? MOST black guys don't want the responsiblity of taking care of their women and kids.
Sad but true.
I am so glad my husband and I are the excepton to the sterotype you mentioned. I have been happily married coming up on 19 years. He adores his children andhis wife and I enjoy him. We are equally yoked together.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 PM

15 posts, read 39,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
Sad but true.
I also want to add that I stay at home with my children and I go to school part-time.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I was on a message and there was a discussion by black women that was about, White men treating black women better than black men treat them, because white men DO NOT mistreat women. I found that to be very odd thinking. I'm a black guy but I know plenty of white women that grip and moan about being mistreated by white men.
I've no first-hand experience with any black couples, but my impression has always been that black women tend to keep their men in check maybe better... I might be totally wrong. My opinion is pretty much based on the way they're presented in TV shows and on some daytime talk shows I've seen when I was lucky enough not to work.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,300 times
Do white men treat black women better? Not always. Then again, that would probably be my answer regardless of the races mentioned.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,186 times
This is not about whether or not a man of any race would treat any one "better" then that of another. It seems that when black people (I'm black as well), date out of our race we seem to want to justify it by putting ourselves down. As backwards and basically retarded as it seems, I think it's true. Since I've moved to LA, I can't think of a race I haven't dated. My conclusion is that a man, is a man, is a man. Peroid. No particular race has the market cornered on chilvary and respect. So when you hear someone say that they will not date someone of their own race, it's a sign of that individual person's insecurity about something. A therapist or Oprah will have to help them figure that out. When you think about it, it's an absolutely ridiculous thing to say.

Also, Black people are just that, people. I have white friends with deadbeat "baby daddies" as well. So, to say that "Black Men" do not take care of their families is another stereotype. But you have to actually KNOW some of us to know that. However, unfortunately most people get their views of us from tv or rap videos and they think that that accurately reflects all of us. I have to believe on some level they have to know how utterly stupid that is. Personally, I don't worry about those people.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Soju,

You have a right to your opinion. But can we lay off with the stereotypes? How can you say MOST black men............? I think you have an issue with Black men, which is fine if you do, but do take YOUR issues with black men and slander us with your stereotypes. Can we agree on that?

There are 40 millions blacks in America and you have done research and arrived at the conclusion that MOST black men avoid responsability?

I'd like to know how you came up with MOST. Can you explain? With concrete info, not what you think based on your limited life experiences.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:00 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Soju,

You have a right to your opinion. But can we lay off with the stereotypes? How can you say MOST black men............? I think you have an issue with Black men, which is fine if you do, but do take YOUR issues with black men and slander us with your stereotypes. Can we agree on that?

There are 40 millions blacks in America and you have done research and arrived at the conclusion that MOST black men avoid responsability?

I'd like to know how you came up with MOST. Can you explain? With concrete info, not what you think based on your limited life experiences.
I think that Soju has that opinion because the African American community does have a problem with the women being single parents and having to raise their children alone. It seems to me that I've read many news articles where this is stated as a factual problem about the black youth having issues because of their lack of a father figure in their lives. Then in the very public eye, you have Obama's biography of his mother being a single parent. I'll have to google up some articles to back my statement about black men not honoring their parental duties, but I don't have time right now to get into this topic in depth. However for a start, this webpage says that 65% of African American children are in single parent homes.

Children in single-parent families, by Race - Comparisons by Topic

Otherwise, I feel that from other articles, unlike the black men who are eager to date white women, black women traditionally have only dated black men. And also, they have had family pressure to never date a white man. Maybe this is from their bad memories of white slave owners forcing themselves on black women. So... any black woman that dates a white man has probably initially resisted the first courtship gestures and in order to succeed, her white boyfriend has had to really woo her... and in trying harder to win her heart, she's been treated like a princess.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:11 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quickly, googling up "black families absent fathers" brought up many results. From this article from a site devoted to black political perspective (so the author of the article is black):
POLITOPICS CENTRIST: POLITICAL COMMENTARY FROM A BLACK PERSPECTIVE:ABSENT BLACK FATHERS
Quote:
Anyone with half a brain can see the damage the destruction of the traditional black family is having on our children. Almost 70% of our children are growing up in homes without a father. The radical left would have you believe those men are absent because racism is keeping them from making a living that supports children and it's just too painful for them to look their kids in the face while 'the man' is preventing them from taking care of them. So they just stay away and suffer in silence.

Yes, there are a lot of black men out there who have it hard, but that's not the reason 70% of our children are going to bed every night without a father down the hallway. This is evident in the fact that the trend continues regardless of income. Poor, Working Class, Middle Class, Upper Middle Class and Wealthy black men are not being "parents" to their children.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
I was on a message and there was a discussion by black women that was about, White men treating black women better than black men treat them, because white men DO NOT mistreat women. I found that to be very odd thinking. I'm a black guy but I know plenty of white women that grip and moan about being mistreated by white men.

Chime in with your thoughts and views. Do these black women have a point or do they just think "the grass is greener" on the other side?
Well, the statement that white men do not mistreat women is not true. Quite a generalization. Try working in a battered woman's shelter sometime or sitting in family court. Incredibly sad and tragic circumstances here, courtesy of abusive men (including a high percentage of white men).

I think many black women are disillusioned with men in general. Seems to be an increasing problem these days for women in general to simply find a man who is suitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships