Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 10:00 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,396,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
But if it's okay to have them, why wouldn't it be okay to show them?
If it's okay to have a bangin' bod, why wouldn't it be okay to show it off? It is okay to have them, and showing them is a-okay, but as is the case for many situations, there can be dress codes for this or that reason. Even the woman with a sweet figure and nice assets isn't going to sport a cocktail dress at every chance. Time and place for all things.

And for those whose workplace has a liberal policy, then it's obviously okay to show them off, weather and mood permitting. I have a lot of tattoos. I didn't get them because I need to show them off. I'm not picking out my daily outfits with the thought "Hey. I have these tattoos. I should probably display them." Nah. I wear what I want based on my particular mood, occasion and weather.

Quote:
Isn't that the whole point?
Is the purpose of dying one's hair and wearing makeup to show off to others or just for one's own pleasure? I'm sure many women enjoy these beauty rituals for themselves and how it makes them feel. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with other people. Since I don't speak for all tattooed people, I couldn't possible assume or guess what their reasons are.

Quote:
If we couldn't see them, what would it matter?
Why would what matter? I didn't get my tattoos for other people. I like seeing them. I got them for myself, not because I care to expose them to random Joe walking past me at Trader Joe's. I also dye my hair, bleach it, wear bright colors because I like them. Just like I enjoy wearing red lipstick when I'm in the mood. I like the look, and it's my favorite color.

Quote:
Why should they be hidden?
Ask the people with the dress codes. My guess is, uniform look of all employees, an attempt to avoid "distractions," maintain the company's professional or [insert] image, or whatever. Schools can be included here as well, depending on the particular school and district.

When I worked freelance, I didn't need to worry about covering up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,420,406 times
Yup, you're just a totally dorky old grump, OP. Lol.

Relax, sit on the porch, and drink some ice tea.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:13 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,351,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
If it's okay to have a bangin' bod, why wouldn't it be okay to show it off? It is okay to have them, and showing them is a-okay, but as is the case for many situations, there can be dress codes for this or that reason. Even the woman with a sweet figure and nice assets isn't going to sport a cocktail dress at every chance. Time and place for all things.

And for those whose workplace has a liberal policy, then it's obviously okay to show them off, weather and mood permitting. I have a lot of tattoos. I didn't get them because I need to show them off. I'm not picking out my daily outfits with the thought "Hey. I have these tattoos. I should probably display them." Nah. I wear what I want based on my particular mood, occasion and weather.

Is the purpose of dying one's hair and wearing makeup to show off to others or just for one's own pleasure? I'm sure many women enjoy these beauty rituals for themselves and how it makes them feel. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with other people. Since I don't speak for all tattooed people, I couldn't possible assume or guess what their reasons are.

Why would what matter? I didn't get my tattoos for other people. I like seeing them. I got them for myself, not because I care to expose them to random Joe walking past me at Trader Joe's. I also dye my hair, bleach it, wear bright colors because I like them. Just like I enjoy wearing red lipstick when I'm in the mood. I like the look, and it's my favorite color.

Ask the people with the dress codes. My guess is, uniform look of all employees, an attempt to avoid "distractions," maintain the company's professional or [insert] image, or whatever. Schools can be included here as well, depending on the particular school and district.

When I worked freelance, I didn't need to worry about covering up.
No, I can't go through answering all this. My only point was, it seemed like you were saying that it's okay to have tattoos, piercings, whatever, as long as they were covered up. Didn't sound like you. I must have misunderstood.

I've always liked trying different looks. I just don't like permanent changes, for myself; a big reason would probably be because I would get bored of them.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Ok..

I'm just saying my experience sitting in meetings with professionals across various disciplines for 25 plus years...

YMMV.

I really don't have a dog in the fight... I personally couldn't care less... I mean that in the purest sense... I couldn't care less. I'm just reporting what I see and my experience.

If tats become more open and acceptable in my crowd, fine... LOL... again.. I just don't have a given argument either way.... LOL...
I mean, I'm just saying, most people in such workplaces wear "work attire," which could mean different things, of course. In a standard meeting in a white collar profession, that could mean business suit, business casual, etc., so it makes sense you won't see a sleeve, back piece, thigh piece, etc. That's all I'm saying. My ex wore business casual a la Banana Republic, and unless he explicitly mentioned his tattoos, no one knew he had the six or so he had. Most people have a work attire they wear whether they have tattoos or not, so most parts of the body are automatically covered.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,339,092 times
I never get why some people take others preferences so personally.

You have a tattoo and someone doesn't like you because you have it.. Don't argue about it, just move on.

Everyone has something about them that makes them unattractive to a potential partner. It's life. Adults know this.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
No, I can't go through answering all this. My only point was, it seemed like you were saying that it's okay to have tattoos, piercings, whatever, as long as they were covered up.
Ahh, I see. I was just saying that it's fine to have tattoos if that's what you like, and if a job requires you to cover them you, you'll find a way. There's makeup for the tattoos that aren't normally covered up by clothes. Most people with tattoos outside certain regions probably sport more discreet tattoos that can be easily covered.

Quote:
Didn't sound like you. I must have misunderstood.
I was like "Hmm. What is she asking here? This isn't usual." Lol.

Quote:
I've always liked trying different looks. I just don't like permanent changes, for myself; a big reason would probably be because I would get bored of them.
I get you. The bored issue is what my husband says.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:31 PM

926 posts, read 677,019 times
Quote:
You're (in general) purposely poking holes through the skin, or poking holes and injecting a foreign object/material, I would call that mutilation, no matter how harmless it may be. It's damaging the body, no matter how trivial. Like I said, I've done it, so I'm not all up in arms about it. But it's still a fact.
Hmm....my body is now "damaged" by my nose and tongue piercings? How is it damaged? I can still smell and breathe through my nose; and I can still eat with, swirl food in my mouth with, taste food with and um, do other things () with my tongue......so yeah, no damage here!

Old 09-24-2017, 04:57 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,608,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Your "opinion" is ludicrous when you're making ignorant and illogical assertions. If you don't like having them challenged, don't share 'em.
I have absolutely zero desire to get in the middle of this, and this has no bearing on being tattooed or not, but this post reminded me of something my old dad said occurred when he was in Normandy, France in 1944.
He and some guys in his troop, (he was in the Royal Tank Regiment), were talking together, when a second lieutenant joined in.
One of the guys asked my dad, "how does that Yank Mack truck, (lease-lend), you're driving, compare to the British Bedfords we have?"
My old man replied that it was great, because it was L.H.D., and they drove on the right in France.
The lieutenant chimed in with, "you have every right to your opinion trooper, but NO right to express it!"

Old 09-24-2017, 06:09 AM

310 posts, read 204,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't imagine they care whether you like them or not.

My motto: if you don't like something, don't do it.

Just curious. How do you feel about men's tats?
Men's tats I'm indifferent about. I just have (please forgive me) a preference for female skin being unexcessively marked up. An aesthetic opinion, mainly. Some tattoos look like works of art, others like unhealed gashes, smudges or unreadable scribbles. Getting a tattoo doesn't automatically make it a good idea if done without skill or without much forethought--it's presumably a lifetime committment, so it better be one heck of a good idea. Skin is such a specialized canvas!

Last edited by westegg; 09-24-2017 at 06:28 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 06:18 AM

310 posts, read 204,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Yup, you're just a totally dorky old grump, OP. Lol.

Relax, sit on the porch, and drink some ice tea.
Thanks. I prefer Snapple diet lemon.

By the way, Get the hell off my lawn.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships