Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:34 PM

926 posts, read 675,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
I'm 61, and I'm sorry, I find extensive tattoos on women more like graffitti than anything attractive. On legs, arms, neck, chest, etc. They can be portraits, the Declaration of Independence, skulls, you name it. I don't understand the need to presumably and permanently deface skin like this. Small, discreet tattoos I can understand, but sprawling inkmarks seem a risk if after a few years they are perhaps no longer as relevant a "statement" as before. Am I such a totally old dork thinking like this? Is it just a passing, generational thing? I hope so. I apologize to tattoo aficiandos, but that's how I feel.

To answer your first question, yes. But, it's your preference and you're entitled to it.

As far as your second question, it ain't a 'generational thing'. People been doing that for a lonnggg time. You look at it as them 'defacing' their skin - but for the people who get them, it has a deep meaning to them....usually something has happened to them in their life that they want to remember, memorialize or pay tribute to.

If you don't think women who have a lot of tatts are attractive and you wouldn't date them, that's fine...because they wouldn't want to date someone like you anyway, it wouldn't be a good match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:45 PM

310 posts, read 203,704 times
I don't dislike tattoos per se, it's only when they seem to be taking over a whole body. I can only imagine people don't do this as a whim. As you say, it can be a highly personalized rememberance or tribute. But I guess subtle or not is up to the individual.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:47 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,543,472 times
I do believe age plays a big role in your perspective on ink. I'm "older", late 50s and I simply associate ink as a masculine symbol. I couldn't care less if women are covered with them. To each her/his own. But, I simply cannot find women heavily inked attractive. And I do see older women these days with large tattoos. But still, younger women seem to be the biggest market for them. I also think older folks look silly with ink but again, I think it's a reflection of my age and background. I would never judge someone for getting ink - their body, their decision. I just look the other way when I see heavily inked women. I was with a friend at a restaurant the other day and our waitress "disappeared". My friend went to the bar and ordered another drink saying he could not find our waitress. The bartender asked which waitress was ours. My friend replied, tattoo girl. He's another old geezer...

Old 09-23-2017, 01:48 PM

926 posts, read 675,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Tattoos are gross and ugly on anyone. I see a person with tattoos and a lower class of people as one and the same.
That's just sooooo judgmental, damn.

I hope there's never a day when you're in need of emergency services or at the hospital and needing life-saving surgery....what are you gonna do when you see the EMS tech who's trying to save you has two full sleeves and tatts all on his neck? Are you gonna turn him away and allow yourself to die because you think he's too 'low class' to touch you?

Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,557,757 times
I had a quality control manager, corporate level, for a major manufacturing company who spent his weekends at festivals doing tattoos. He made more money at that than his professional job. His wife's skin was sensational.
The son of the owner of another company I worked for was a well know tattoo artist. Later in life he decorated his mother and sister even better that his girlfriend.
All of these women were wonderful people and beautiful in their decorated skin. I'd date any of them, given the opportunity, and I 'm older than the OP.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,386,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I do believe age plays a big role in your perspective on ink. I'm "older", late 50s and I simply associate ink as a masculine symbol. I couldn't care less if women are covered with them. To each her/his own. But, I simply cannot find women heavily inked attractive. And I do see older women these days with large tattoos. But still, younger women seem to be the biggest market for them. I also think older folks look silly with ink but again, I think it's a reflection of my age and background. I would never judge someone for getting ink - their body, their decision. I just look the other way when I see heavily inked women. I was with a friend at a restaurant the other day and our waitress "disappeared". My friend went to the bar and ordered another drink saying he could not find our waitress. The bartender asked which waitress was ours. My friend replied, tattoo girl. He's another old geezer...
And right there is your judgement.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:32 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,936,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
OP is either into younger women or hippies/artists. Average women 50+ are not tatted.
My mom is 53 and has quite a few. Although she didn't start getting them until the early 00's, when she was late 30's. She had one tattoo that she got back when she was 18, which was a rose on her ankle. Everything else she got was 2001 and later.

I remember really wanting a tattoo(s) when I was 15-16, which was back in the late 90's. They hadn't really reached a new wave of popularity, as they have in the last 10-15 years. I never could decide what I wanted through the years and then just became content with not having any. I kind of like that I have zero tattoos. My ex girlfriend from a while back, started to get them. She didn't have any when we met, but only because she was just 18. She did have over 20 (I think?) piercings already. Through the years, she had gotten about 10 tattoos before our relationship was over. She probably has more today. I would even pay for them as Christmas/birthday gifts.

Some women look good with lots of tattoos, others don't. My soon-to-be-wife has a few. I'm fine with them. I just kind of like that I don't have them.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:44 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,893,910 times
This thread comes up every so often and the usual answers are that some like tats and some don't. I'm in the less is more, camp others don't like'm at all. It's funny that this came up now, I was at the grocery store a day or so ago and I see this young-ish woman and she had shorts and a tank top on and she had randomly placed tats on both her arms and her legs and just due to the coloring and me being a little ways away from her I look over and at first glance she looked like she had some kind of skin disease. LOL, about a half second later I realized it was tats. That's really not the look I think most woman are going for, but I'm wondering again if this perception of mine was just due to the spacing and size along with the coloring. LOL.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:51 PM

19,764 posts, read 12,332,675 times
I may have to get some ink for the opposite reason most people do- to make my skin look clear because of some pigment problems. Cosmetic tattooing can help even it out so I will admit to liking that type of ink.

I saw an older lady at the beach with a trail of paw prints around her from her neck to her feet like her dog with inky paws ran all over her. Dog person I would guess.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:52 PM

52,395 posts, read 52,893,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Some women look good with lots of tattoos, others don't. My soon-to-be-wife has a few. I'm fine with them. I just kind of like that I don't have them.
Yeah, tats are so ubiquitous anymore that not having them will probably be the next new thing. Yes, I do realize that tats in some form have been around forever before any tattoo fan feels the need to correct me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships