Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I guess that reinforces the perception of low class people getting tats lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM

30,902 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
So, what do you think about nose piercings? Like with a little diamond stud? Have you ever seen this kind of piercing on a woman? What do you think about it?
I don't like them, but at least you can take them out. Tattoos are forever.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:32 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,433 times
I like Polynesian tattoos on Polynesians. But when I see traditional, tribal, or ethnic tattoos on certain people, it looks out of place. Not that I care.

I do make snap judgments about people, based on their appearance. I think we all do, don't we?

Because tattoos are popular now, I judge tatted people as the type who follow trends. A trend that will probably change and be unpopular in time.

There's a certain haircut some women wear that I call the "bich cut" because I've never met a women I liked who wore their hair that way. I know it's silly, but I still think "bich" every time I see it.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:34 PM

19,432 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
LOL, gum chewing was exactly the example I was going to use . I know intellectually that gum chewing does not equal "low class", but I was brought up to think it did & it's a hard one for me to overcome. To the point that when a dr recently recommended I chew gum recently, my immediate reaction was to be horrified LOL.
You can always tell the "bad" person in a movie because they're chomping on gum. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
On another note, how do we know Hilary doesn't have a tattoo
This reminds me of a scene from the movie Roxanne. Daryl Hannah is locked, naked, out of her house. As Steve Martin, the fire chief, is helping her to get back in, he says, "I, uh, notice you don't have any tattoos. I think that's a wise choice. I don't think Jackie Onassis would have gone as far if she'd had an anchor on her arm."

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 09-24-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,762,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
How could you possibly know whether prominent women politicians don't have any tattoos. Also consider their age, background and religious affliation. It wouldn't be unusual for a woman in her late 60s to not have tattoos, especially a woman from her background.

But your drivel presupposes this is a desired career path for most women, let alone tattooed women. The vast majority of women will never get into this level of politics. Your argument is baseless. Unless you've seen every prominent professional women unclothed, you couldn't possibly know what they have going on.

Yes, if she had a shoulder blade or ankle tattoo, people would really get bent about it.

Based on what sample size and demographic? If this refers to folks of your brand of thought and region, sure, but in my circle, where I live, your ideology is most definitely not the majority.

My countering your ignorance and verbal diarrhea is not "hitting a nerve." Trust. The "personal opinion" of an internet stranger doesn't make a blip on my care-o-meter. I move through life just fine. Thanks.
We were talking more about visible tattoos that aren't covered by clothes, and about visible piercings and unusual ear shafts, and stretching the ear lobe. No one in the business world goes around like this unless they own the company, because no one wants to offend a possible client. If Donald Trump looked like a gypsy, I wouldn't have taken him seriously, either. You want to rebel, create a new trend or join an existing one to fit in with the local crowd, go right ahead. If my life were in danger, I could overlook just about anything. However, if I went to spend a lot of money and the salespeople or lawyers looked like the Thompson Twins or a motorcycle gang in full rebellion mode, sorry, I'll go somewhere else. And it's common sense that most people would do the same. I wouldn't have gone there in my drawers...

Old 09-24-2017, 12:40 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,762,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I guess that reinforces the perception of low class people getting tats lol
Covered by business attire is one thing, on the face and hands is quite another. I know someone who had a tattoo on one of his fingers, and it turns out that it's close to a gang tat. He got it years ago, and had no way of knowing what it would be regarded as years later. Any time he ever got pulled over in the years since, he gets a lot of extra questioning because of it. Who's sorry now?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:43 PM

130,493 posts, read 12,130,332 times
Back to OP, I highly doubt any good looking tattoo chick , wants to date a self confessed "old grump" anyhow.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
You can always tell the "bad" person in a movie because they're chomping on gum. lol

This reminds me of a scene from the move Roxanne. Daryl Hannah is locked, naked, out of her house. As Steve Martin, the fire chief, is helping her to get back in, he says, "I, uh, notice you don't have any tattoos. I think that's a wise choice. I don't think Jackie Onassis would have gone as far if she'd had an anchor on her arm."

I'm a huge Steve Martin fan. He's so talented, smart and funny!

Old 09-24-2017, 12:50 PM

My daughter has one tattoo and I was very much against it. But her body, her choice.
Her skin is so beautiful, why mess up perfection? It's an eyesore, in my opinion but too late to cry about it now.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:05 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,374,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
We were talking more about visible tattoos that aren't covered by clothes,
We were? Who is "we" here? I was under the impression that the thread's focus was just tattoos in general. So...tattoos not covered by business or work attire?

Quote:
and about visible piercings and unusual ear shafts, and stretching the ear lobe.
I mean, what others do is no big deal to me, Tongue splitting isn't my cup of tea, nor face tattoos, but whatever.

Quote:
No one in the business world goes around like this unless they own the company, because no one wants to offend a possible client. If Donald Trump looked like a gypsy, I wouldn't have taken him seriously, either.
Most tattooed people don't sport face and neck tattoos. First, it was about "tattoos on women," then it turned to "tattoos that are visible in casual business and business attire." You're moving the goalposts.

Quote:
You want to rebel, create a new trend or join an existing one to fit in with the local crowd, go right ahead. If my life were in danger, I could overlook just about anything. However, if I went to spend a lot of money and the salespeople or lawyers looked like the Thompson Twins or a motorcycle gang in full rebellion mode, sorry, I'll go somewhere else. And it's common sense that most people would do the same. I wouldn't have gone there in my drawers...
Are you going to ask a potential salesperson to disrobe so you can inspect their canvas for body art? It stands to reason that the type of tattoos you're now addressing are still more prevalent among specific social circles and groups. The people I know with face and/or neck tattoos are tattoo artists or work in a non-corporate or govt. industry. They may be musicians, photographers, writers, business owners, artists, etc., that reside in places where these tattoos aren't scorn-worthy. For instance, in my husband's profession, there are a lot of men with very visible tattoos, and they move through life just fine. Tattoos are pretty conventional within the martial arts community. I have one friend, a woman, that has a tattoo on her face. She's a tattoo artist.

Tattooed Professionals - Inked Magazine | Inked Magazine

And it's not necessarily common sense that "most people" would react the same way. You seem to be ignoring factors like region, industry, demographics, culture, etc. A tattooed professional in So Cal, NorCal, Portland, Seattle, and other metro areas, will likely have a different experience than if they lived in another area with a different culture and demographics. You're more likely to see a tattooed chef at an eatery in the Bay Area than in a smaller city in the Midwest or South. A tattooed chef that resides in the latter may not be as well-received, which is no surprise, really. Again, there are many variables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships