Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 12:08 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
Wanted to try it since I hadn't experienced in almost two decades. I was curious.
OP, you don't date someone just to try out dating. You don't do it just to go through the motions, so you can say you tried dating. You go out with them once or twice, and if you like them, and things seem to click, you go out with them again. If you're both enjoying each other's company, you decide to make it a regular thing. Otherwise, it's pointless. Also, if you turn it into a series of chores (flowers: check! Opening car door: check! Open restaurant door: check! ...), you're not going to enjoy it as much.

If you didn't enjoy it, you're either doing it wrong, or you just didn't hit it off with the humanoid you chose to try your dating experiment on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 04:48 AM

437 posts, read 336,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you don't date someone just to try out dating. You don't do it just to go through the motions, so you can say you tried dating. You go out with them once or twice, and if you like them, and things seem to click, you go out with them again. If you're both enjoying each other's company, you decide to make it a regular thing. Otherwise, it's pointless. Also, if you turn it into a series of chores (flowers: check! Opening car door: check! Open restaurant door: check! ...), you're not going to enjoy it as much.

If you didn't enjoy it, you're either doing it wrong, or you just didn't hit it off with the humanoid you chose to try your dating experiment on.
This is where some guys go wrong.....

Whats wrong with having the intention of forming a friendship first and having fun on a date, laughing etc.

Too many guys go through the motions for the hope of receiving "physical benefits".

JMO.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Hey! Me too. Well no, I worked at a 'bikini bar' called Bourbon Street in my 20s. I won't be doing that again! Shiny gold and matching head band and heels.
Post pictures or it didn't happen.

I read threads like this and wonder about the survival of our species. It's like the million Japanese hikikomori who live in their bedroom in their parents house and never come out. Life is an LCD screen. You have to get out there and experience people.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:24 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
You sound like a dude that needs someone equally as comfortable just being who they are and does care for the excessive courtship rituals

It's Not easy to find such people since they are much like you and just would rather keep to themselves most of the time.
I think the OP assumed the "excessive courtship rituals" were what his date wanted. Actually, he may have just fallen back on somewhat antiquated notions because he's been out of the loop for almost 20 years and they were outdated even then. So while that's what OPmight have been familiar with it's not likely his date appreciated it and since he obviously wasn't comfortable it's not surprising it wasn't a success.

Now, OP can take that as a sign he should never date again or realize that wasn't likely a typical experience and try to learn from it. Totally up to him depending on whether he wants a relationship.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
This is where some guys go wrong.....

Whats wrong with having the intention of forming a friendship first and having fun on a date, laughing etc.

Too many guys go through the motions for the hope of receiving "physical benefits".

JMO.
For guys, just friendship first = just friendship forever.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:13 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,885 times
So...you haven't had sex, with another person that is, for 17 years? How's that working out for you?

Old 09-28-2017, 07:13 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Some people dont need to be in a relationship to be happy.

Im one of them. You should experience it first though. Which u have kind of done, but not really.
You say that like it is in his control. It ain't like you can order a relationship off Amazon.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:39 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I'm happily single and have been for a few years now. It's great you are comfortable with that, but your idea of dating seems weird to me. It's so much more than flowers and opening doors, and frankly, as a woman, those things never signified to me. Flowers are NICE, but not necessary all the time and certainly not in the early dating stages. And opening doors for people is just weird and awkward - holding the door when someone needs help getting through or is coming up behind you is just kindness and courtesy, but how strange and weird when a guy runs ahead to open it for me or pulls out a chair for me. It's weird and unnatural from my perspective - I've spent most of my life solo so when someone strives to take care of a function that is as basic to self-preservation as eating on your own or brushing your teeth, it seems ridiculous to me.

I don't think what you experienced was dating in the normal, modern sense of the word. There's no need for you to date if you prefer not to, but just have a clear-headed idea of what your opting out of. What you opted for was a very 1950s experience that seemed more like going through the motions than actually engaging in getting to know another person.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:59 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You say that like it is in his control. It ain't like you can order a relationship off Amazon.
Yeah, that's too bad. I know exactly what I'd order.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:05 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I went to New Year's Eve on Bourbon Street once, and believe me ... I am NEVER doing that again.

So I now how you feel, OP.
If the dates had gone like New Years eve on Bourbon St., I bet he'd keep dating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships