Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,570 times

Advertisements

I have been dating a guy for 5 months. Now he's asking me can I loan him a $1000 to pay his bills, I don't want to do it! What should I do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 05:52 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmona View Post
I have been dating a guy for 5 months. Now he's asking me can I loan him a $1000 to pay his bills, I don't want to do it! What should I do
Tell him no. Or, if he owns a car, have him sign over the title to you, and he'll get it back when he repays you. Collateral solves many problems with potential financial abusers.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:

Just say NO. Or ask for collateral as a previous poster mentioned. He is testing to see if he can get it & then not repay you.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:11 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
It's a bad idea. I hate giving out money or "loaning out money" to friends. I do ask for collateral if I feel like they genuinely need the money. And you be surprised that the amount of people who "desperately" need the money all of a sudden find another way to get the money once you ask for collateral.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
When you first start dating I think it's horrible idea to give woman money to pay their bills or for beauty reasons. She technically hasn't "earned" it and she knows it. So she won't generally appreciate the gesture. That is just my opinion. But let's say you have been dating her for a couple of months and she starts dropping hints of bills being due.

What's the general rule of thumb for giving your girlfriend money?
Never.

Each person's bills and expenses are their own responsibility. Unless they want to wind up on The People's Court or Judge Judy when they break up and the argument starts about whether it was a gift or a loan.

Any guy I would date who asks me for money would be dumped right then and there. My money is my own. Period. And I would never date anyone making less money than I do.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:45 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Break up with him. He's a gold digger.

Thanks for resurrecting this gem of a topic.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 PM

75 posts, read 36,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
When you first start dating I think it's horrible idea to give woman money to pay their bills or for beauty reasons. She technically hasn't "earned" it and she knows it. So she won't generally appreciate the gesture. That is just my opinion. But let's say you have been dating her for a couple of months and she starts dropping hints of bills being due.

What's the general rule of thumb for giving your girlfriend money?
I personally don't subscribe to either gender being the "provider", but feel it's the "right time" to help financially when you feel comfortable sharing with each other.

Neither member of the relationship should leech off the other, though. And if she is having trouble paying bills, maybe work with her to understand where her money is going. She was affording to live life without you, I imagine, so unless something drastic has changed, she should be fine.

That said, if I was really into the relationship, and I felt like she wasn't using me, I'd help her out if she was struggling or had a life emergency come up.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:31 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I think it's just as common for women to give their men money these days. Especially among the millennial set, where women are out-earning men now. My daughter helps her broke ass boyfriend with rent every once in awhile. They are both students and money is really tight for both, but he would do the same for her if he could. He does drive her places since she lives on campus with no car.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:47 AM

641 posts, read 405,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think it's just as common for women to give their men money these days. Especially among the millennial set, where women are out-earning men now. My daughter helps her broke ass boyfriend with rent every once in awhile. They are both students and money is really tight for both, but he would do the same for her if he could. He does drive her places since she lives on campus with no car.
I think it's becoming a lot less frequent now that men are providing financially for women. Women are out earning men up until a certain age at least.

Aside from individual cases men or women should be earning their own money now.

Last edited by gazzaa2; 09-14-2017 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: t

Old 09-14-2017, 04:25 PM

29 posts, read 19,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Women are in no way, shape, or form out earning men.... and it is DEFINITELY NOT as common for women to give men money.

As for the original question... NEVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships