Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,775 times

Advertisements

No. Definitely not.

Not even if you have kids. Just remain civil obviously but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:13 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Surely, you're not advocating a person remain good friends with a toxic ex-partner just because he or she loved them at one point?
You're right.
I'm surely not.
So, why waste time bringing that up?

I'm just curious why so many people liked someone enough to date them, maybe love them, and then decide they want them completely out of their life.

It speaks to me that that person doesn't make good choices in partners.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
You're right.
I'm surely not.

I'm just curious why so many people liked someone enough to date them, maybe love them, and then decide they want them completely out of their life.

It speaks to me that that person doesn't make good choices in partners
People dont have the ability to see into the future. People change, and hearts change all the time, sometimes for the worse.

I find the term "still friends" with exs to be very subjective. Keeping in contact via phone or Facebook with an ex isn't the same as hanging out on a weekly/regular basis - that's not a friend - that's hanging on because someone cant let go, imo.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:34 AM

971 posts, read 689,714 times
My ex-wife cost me a half million dollars and I lost a home that was paid for and two building Lots. The thought of retiring doesn't even cross my mind because I will be working until my death because of her. No thanks, not interested in ever speaking to her or for that matter even seeing her again.
Bitter? Yup.

The only people that I know who still speak to exes are ones who mutually agreed to split and didn't screw each other over financially. I don't know anyone who got screwed and still speaks to the ex. I am sure they are out there though.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:46 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
I'm only friends, and like, semi-friends, with an ex way back from high school that I dated for maybe 3 months.

The rest, no. Once an ex, always an ex. No reason to ever really go back. Even if you end on good terms.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:47 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Only after long enough of a time has passed where neither one of you still have any attraction for or to the other.

I have 3 of my ex-bfs on my FB list, the last becoming an ex 13 years ago. Two of them are in LTRs, and the other became a Conservative, so there's nothing "going on" with any of them.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:53 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
No way would I be friends with an ex girlfriend. We aren't together anymore so there's nothing more to discuss.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:55 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
You're right.
I'm surely not.

It speaks to me that that person doesn't make good choices in partners.
I never realized you had to be friends with someone.. We break up you're out of my life, no exceptions.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:00 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
Aquinteces, I wouldn't say remaining close is the best idea for most circumstances.

For myself I view it more from a perspective of respect. A respect towards whomever I may be see romantically after a relationship has ended and what is attempting to be accomplished by seeing one another in that capacity.

It's less about "me" and more about creating a bed for things to flourish and direct attentions on what is most important moving forward.

Last edited by rego00123; 10-04-2017 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-04-2017, 11:20 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
I can only speak for myself, and I already know there is plenty of difference between me and most posters here. Perfectly fine, while I could not be compatible with almost anyone on this board, I have had great success in my love life post divorce, so it's not like my needs are impossible for anyone to meet. But it is a requirement of mine that unless a partner has a very good reason I shouldn't be friends with someone, they do not get to tell me who I can or cannot be friends with.

A very good reason is, "I have it on good authority from someone I trust, that this man has raped someone, and I don't think he's a safe person for you to spend time around." or "That woman is actually a drug addict and a thief and I don't want her to even know where we live."

A good reason is not, "You used to have sex with him and I'm scared you might want to again." or "He finds you attractive and flirts with you, and I'm afraid you'll fall for it." We can work together to overcome feelings of insecurity or jealousy, but those feelings in a partner are not going to dictate my choices or actions.

So...I need a partner who doesn't feel easily threatened by other men, and who is able to trust. It's ok that this isn't everyone, but they're out there, and I have one. Good for me.

As for choosing to be friends (or not) with an ex... It depends. If that person is toxic, or the relationship turned toxic, it is in the best interest of mental health, for us to not be friends. I wanted to try and be friends with my ex husband...it was our original goal...I thought we could put the past behind us, and be decent to one another going forward. But he has continued to occasionally show me spite and bitterness over two years after we broke up, and if he can't let go of that, well...I do not need it in my life. I had to overcome my codependent, "caretaker" tendencies that forgave every hurt he dealt me and worried about his wellbeing, and declare to myself that I owe him nothing, and have no investment in his opinion of me, good or bad. We have to finish coparenting and raising our teenage sons...we can coordinate things via brief, to-the-point texts. Talk about the kids and only the kids. Soon, our sons will be adults and each of us can have our own relationship with them independent of the other. My own parents haven't spoken to each other in probably 20 years.

On the other hand, I have former lovers where the friendship was really healthy and wonderful, it was more important than the sex or romance, and we parted ways for reasons that weren't dramatic or toxic. No one seriously hurt the other, we just decided that a relationship was not the best fit for us at that point, and ended that piece, but we never stopped being friends. A few such are mutual friends of my boyfriend and I. He knows I would not consider getting back together sexually with these people, and he is secure enough in our relationship to be comfortable with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships