Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times

Advertisements

I've learned that I should stay single. Too many crappy people out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 09:18 PM

728 posts, read 472,303 times
People suck. Everyone seems to be getting something on the side anymore. I'm too old to be on the dating scene anyway. Be single, no lost sleep that someone is messing around.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:21 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant17 View Post
People suck. Everyone seems to be getting something on the side anymore. I'm too old to be on the dating scene anyway. Be single, no lost sleep that someone is messing around.
How old are you if I may ask - don't feel obliged to answer. There is a reason I ask.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:29 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
-That I am perfectly happy on my own, and prefer an FWB arrangement.

Quite honestly, a FWB arrangement appeals to me. It just never happened.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
[quote=Raena77;49832029]I've learned that I should stay single. Too many crappy people out there.

I am learning the same thing

Old 10-17-2017, 03:28 PM

20,394 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I learned that the guys I thought were my "type" (from when I was in high school, the last time I thought about it, or was single) are in fact not really that appealing to me now, and that my type has completely changed. And what exactly that is now.

I learned which love language expressions I respond to best and how to recognize them in others.

I learned that casual sex isn't really that fulfilling for me and I can't ever guarantee I won't develop attachment...nor can I force myself to have it for someone when I don't, even when he seems "perfect on paper" and cares about me a lot. I learned that while it sucks to have to reject a guy (whether up front, or breaking up with him) that you really like...that the alternative, of dating or sleeping with him just to be nice, when you're just not feelin' it...is worse. And sometimes there is no easy or kind way to handle it, even when we try our best.

I learned that while polyamory seems like almost a natural fit for my ideologies and life preferences, and it's a lovely notion on paper, in real life it is stressful even when it's good and I simply don't have time for it. And that just because I am "wired" to be open to and capable of polyamory, it's not such a huge part of my needs or identity that I've got to have it. I can be just as happy with monogamy...with the right partner.

I learned what I like in bed! Seems crazy not to already have a good idea of that by age 36 (at the time when I was dating, post-marriage) but I really did not know. My ex had been the best I'd had to that point, and it really wasn't that great with him, but I thought "well, guess this is as good as it gets." I'd never had truly awesome sex before. I won't get into all the kinks I discovered I love, but that was life-changing stuff, too.

I formed a great many personal ethics and rules, and gained other insights from books, forums (not this one mostly, though) and discussion groups. I learned that while my own struggles aren't the same as everyone's, or most people's maybe, that nevertheless everybody has struggles.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:37 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
To accept (or reject) people as they are because I can't make them bend to my will.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:13 PM

728 posts, read 472,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303guy View Post
how old are you if i may ask - don't feel obliged to answer. There is a reason i ask.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:57 PM

401 posts, read 552,268 times
More you put yourself out there, the rejections tend to hurt less.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:29 AM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I don't think I'd want to experience the embarrassment of being arrested for paying some undercover cop acting as a prostitute to service my needs.
I saw something somewhere that said "if you want to be sure it's not a cop, pay them to take nude photos first." The logic was that undercover cops usually make the arrest on the proposition/ exchange for cash. Basically, the "I want to do _____ with you, I'll give you $___.__ to do it." That's the solicitation and that's where the arrest is made. A real prostitute will take the cash for nude photos, and it's also not illegal. An undercover cop is highly unlikely to agree to such a proposition since they're not really sex workers and don't follow through on the propositions. Take it with a grain of salt. I don't know the source, but it seemed like it would work. Frankly, you couldn't pay me enough to hire a prostitute. But to each their own.

As far as this thread goes, I've learned that I try too hard to present as "perfect" and it's not sustainable. By this I mean that at the beginning of relationships I try way too hard to present myself as more patient, less jealous, and generally more easy going than I am. It works for a little while - a few months. Maybe a year, but it's not sustainable long-term and it leads to trouble because I've essentially misrepresented myself and we're both unhappy (I'm being someone I'm not, and she is now with someone who isn't exactly who she thought she was with). So I've made a much, much more conscious effort to accurately represent myself from the start. It's paid off. Some relationships haven't worked out, but I see it for the better (they'd have been doomed down the road if they didn't), and my current relationship is the most satisfying and fulfilling I've ever had.

Also, I'm not a fan of some of the cynicism here, but it's good that so many people are OK with being single. I wish more people were OK with that. Being comfortable and happy single has made relationships better for me (because I'm not in them if they're not working), and has made me much more comfortable/confident on my own. It's REALLY important to be single for a while and get to know yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships