Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:27 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Oftentimes they don't know they're asexual until after they've in conventional relationships. They may assume they have a low sex drive, have hormonal issues, are stressed out, dealing with depression, etc. So it's not like asexuals knowingly seek out relationships with non-asexuals when more times than not they don't realize they're asexual (vs. the other reasons) until later in life, often after going through therapy/counseling and introspection/soul-searching sparked by relationship challenges (sexless or infrequent sex during a LTR or marriage or physical intimacy issues).

I do have a friend that was married for a number of years and currently enjoys a companionship/relationship with someone who is also asexual.
How do asexuals even meet each other outside of asexuality forums? I would assume that an asexual man wouldn't bother seeking out any kind of relationship although I could imagine that an asexual woman might still enjoy a relationship that didn't include sex. I could be wrong though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 10:31 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Why be in a romantic intimate relatioship if you're not into any type of sexual act (kissing, foreplay, etc) ??

So, women that been "faking it" for millennia are doing it for what purpose? boredom? sht&giggles? financial gain?
Because they like the RELATIONSHIP except for the sex.

Of course non-asexual guys won't get it - they only tolerate the relationship to GET the sex, right? But lots of women, and some guys, just like the conversation and being together to do stuff and maybe even cuddling but no more than that.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:50 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
How do asexuals even meet each other outside of asexuality forums? I would assume that an asexual man wouldn't bother seeking out any kind of relationship although I could imagine that an asexual woman might still enjoy a relationship that didn't include sex. I could be wrong though.
Support groups, forums, niche dating sites, etc. I don't see why an asexual man is less likely to desire other forms of companionship than, say, a woman. Both can appreciate forms of closeness, cuddling, hand-holding, hugging, and other types of intimacy (emotional, intellectual, etc.) They just aren't interested in sex. I have asexual friends that came to realize they have little interest in sex, often after they've been in relationships, but still very much enjoy companionship and other forms of connection.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:59 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Because they like the RELATIONSHIP except for the sex.

Of course non-asexual guys won't get it - they only tolerate the relationship to GET the sex, right? But lots of women, and some guys, just like the conversation and being together to do stuff and maybe even cuddling but no more than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Support groups, forums, niche dating sites, etc. I don't see why an asexual man is less likely to desire other forms of companionship than, say, a woman. Both can appreciate forms of closeness, cuddling, hand-holding, hugging, and other types of intimacy (emotional, intellectual, etc.) They just aren't interested in sex. I have asexual friends that came to realize they have little interest in sex, often after they've been in relationships, but still very much enjoy companionship and other forms of connection.
So, you women are saying cuddling isn't a intimate sexual act in a romantic relatioship? I always thought it was. The OP mentioned "not interested in sex" meaning none whatsoever is what I was basing my comments on.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
So, you women are saying cuddling isn't a intimate sexual act in a romantic relatioship? I always thought it was. The OP mentioned "not interested in sex" meaning none whatsoever is what I was basing my comments on.
I don't personally consider cuddling to be an intimate sexual act if there was no sex involved before or after the cuddling.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:12 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
I don't personally consider cuddling to be an intimate sexual act if there was no sex involved before or after the cuddling.
Yeah, spooning on the couch watching a movie with all your clothes on is affectionate and intimate, but it's not sexual.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

Intimate sure, but not sexual. Not to me anyway.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:21 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
So, if we were in a committed relationship (hypothetically of course) you wouldn't have any problems with me cuddling/spooning/sporking other women? because after-all...it isn't sexual

Im really starting to like this cuddling thing

Old 10-23-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
So, if we were in a committed relationship (hypothetically of course) you wouldn't have any problems with me cuddling/spooning/sporking other women? because after-all...it isn't sexual

Well, I don't consider kissing sexual either, but YES, I'd have a problem with someone kissing/cuddling other women if we were supposed to be exclusive. Those aren't things that I do with people who I only like in a friendly way even though I don't consider them sexual. That's why I also don't agree with the sentiment that a relationship is strictly platonic if sex isn't involved because sex isn't the only thing that makes a relationship romantic (in my opinion).

Old 10-23-2017, 11:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

Loads of people would have problems with that intimacy outside of their committed relationship. That doesn't make it sexual.

Some people would not have an issue with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships