Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:52 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's just as rude, though, critiquing women bimbos and gold diggers simply based on who they date or what they look like. How are you to determine if a sexy, attractive woman doesn't deserve a well off mate? Who are you to decide who other women can and cannot date or marry? Feminists get mad when they see older, wealthy men marry young, good looking women. Why? They should just let it go. It's not affecting them. Methinks they are a wee bit jealous.

It seems strange to me that feminists preach against marriage, but most of them marry. That's weird and doesn't mesh with what they preach to others.
Yeah, I have no idea what feminists you're even talking about that you know.

Rude or not, if I see someone acting like a brainless ditz, I might think something about it. I won't share that thought, but I'll think it. I know that people form their own judgments of me, too. Some have even gone as far as telling me what they think of me from how I post. I don't want to make them uncomfortable and I apologized for any such thing I have done, but I won't apologize for being me. Judgments roll off of me like water. They have to, with some of what I've put up with in my life. I may have an opinion, but I don't expect it to carry any weight, and so long as I'm happy, the opinions of others don't matter much to me.

As for the gold-diggers, if a woman outright admitted she was looking to marry a rich man so she could enjoy "a certain lifestyle"... Again, I might have my own opinions on it, but I sure wouldn't voice 'em. Because ultimately, whatever makes ya happy is whatever makes ya happy. And if a man is happy snaring a hot young woman because of his money, if both of 'em are getting what they want...it IS their life and not my place to say, right?

I've never met a feminist who preached against marriage, either.

I know feminists who are hippies, vegans, sex workers, therapists, derby girls, sadists, business owners, political activists, lawyers, politicians, men, women, transfolk, straight, gay, bi, q****, and ace, conservative and liberal (though mostly liberal) and I have yet to meet whatever sort you're talking about. (I'm sad that the Q is a bad word here...not intended as such in this context.)

But then...I also don't live in Arkansas! *shrug*

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That is the women you know, that doesn't apply across the board. Feminism = equal opportunities, thus giving you the ability to choose the type of life you want.
...and THAT, I am all for. Whether I choose to accept the label, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 04:22 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Feminists claim that a career is a guarantee that a woman will always be independent. They pretend there is no such thing as job loss, long term unemployment or disability. They claim there are only inherent risks in marriage and being dependent on a man.
A job, career, any kind of employment is necessary for both men and women. There are no guarantees in this life, no feminist would tell you that. Being dependent on anyone, man or woman, is not a healthy way to be.
Instead of talking to women who claim to be feminists or otherwise I strongly urge you to read. Start with the seminal book The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan. it was published in 1963. Everything in the book still holds today. It literally changed my life, the way I saw the world, the way everything fell in to place.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Many of them preach against marriage. One of the key components of feminism is that "a woman does not need a man".

Old 10-27-2017, 06:26 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Many of them preach against marriage. One of the key components of feminism is that "a woman does not need a man".
No one should "need" someone in order to thrive as an adult. Do not confuse that with "want".
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-27-2017, 06:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Feminists I have known were hypocritical. For example, they'd preach about being independent, but most of them wanted to marry high-wage earning men, professional men. If they saw a less educated woman doing the same, they would label them "bimbos" or "gold diggers".
Quote:
Then you knew self-serving, judgemental jerks who are not representative of the group.
Right!? Not the folks I hang with.

Quote:
Are you critiquing women who are educated, which means possibly intellectual and/or professional, for wanting partners in their same educational and/or socioeconomic class? For discriminating against the unintelligent, uneducated, or lower class or income men?

Did they tell you they were looking for rich men, or is this simply an observation you've made?

Honestly I would suspect the motives of people who partner way out of their own intellectual and socioeconomic class. How much do they really have in common? And is either of them merely using the other? I would wonder these things.

The last time I dated a man who was a lot less educated and significantly lower income than me (my present boyfriend makes less than I do, but not so much as to be vastly different in standard of living--I'm talking the difference between upper-middle and minimum wage here) he first took advantage of me, getting me to try and bail him out for several previous bad life choices, and then resented me for my help! The last time I dated a man who made far more money than I did, I wound up uncomfortable with his gifts and how he always insisted on paying for things. I'm more comfortable with a 20 year age gap, than a $50k income gap, I've learned.

And while I don't consider myself a feminist, if I saw a woman who had nothing but her looks going for her...no education, no money, not much intellect, but looking to use her hot young sexy self to land a rich guy so she could enjoy his money...well, if she acted like a bimbo, I might think she was, and if she acted like a gold-digger, I might think that, too.

I don't see what any of that has to do with feminism or hypocrisy.
They're bogus "observations" similar to what we hear from the manosphere. So what if someone of a certain educational and socioeconomic background prefers to date others with a similar background. Maybe they have shared goals, outlooks on life/lifestyle, intellectual pursuits/interests, finances, etc. That's not to say either party isn't independent, but if they have significant goals that require a good bit of resources, well...

And there are plenty on both sides that would side-eye a woman having such require whether she's a high-earner or not.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:53 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
No one should "need" someone in order to thrive as an adult. Do not confuse that with "want".
Exactly. I don't need a man. I do very much fancy my husband and want him in my life.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:02 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:

Rude or not, if I see someone acting like a brainless ditz, I might think something about it. I won't share that thought, but I'll think it. I know that people form their own judgments of me, too. Some have even gone as far as telling me what they think of me from how I post. I don't want to make them uncomfortable and I apologized for any such thing I have done, but I won't apologize for being me. Judgments roll off of me like water. They have to, with some of what I've put up with in my life. I may have an opinion, but I don't expect it to carry any weight, and so long as I'm happy, the opinions of others don't matter much to me.

As for the gold-diggers, if a woman outright admitted she was looking to marry a rich man so she could enjoy "a certain lifestyle"... Again, I might have my own opinions on it, but I sure wouldn't voice 'em. Because ultimately, whatever makes ya happy is whatever makes ya happy. And if a man is happy snaring a hot young woman because of his money, if both of 'em are getting what they want...it IS their life and not my place to say, right?

I know feminists who are hippies, vegans, sex workers, therapists, derby girls, sadists, business owners, political activists, lawyers, politicians, men, women, transfolk, straight, gay, bi, q****, and ace, conservative and liberal (though mostly liberal) and I have yet to meet whatever sort you're talking about. (I'm sad that the Q is a bad word here...not intended as such in this context.)

But then...I also don't live in Arkansas! *shrug*

EDIT:

...and THAT, I am all for. Whether I choose to accept the label, or not.

She is most likely a conservative leaning woman many of them do not really proclaim themselves to be feminists. My mother never has and was a stay at home mom my whole life. In the modern era the term is riddled with political connotations and certain little social tid bits. I can point to a very prominent youtuber named Roaming Millennial who is a conservative woman that has done a lot of video commentaries on the subject.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:35 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
What are your thoughts?
It's evolutionary biology. Women generally want to be with their kids. Women tend to worry more about the kids. Men tend to think the kids will be ok with out them.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:04 PM

1,199 posts, read 730,821 times
It's a remnant of biology.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:06 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
They're strawwomen feminists. They're propped up their to rail against from the darkest recesses of one mind's fears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships