Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:27 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Some people will not leave one person until they find another. This is her choice, and is choosing to be miserable, instead of being alone.
Like trapeze people.

They swing till the next guy will catch em before they let go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
anytime I hear these stories, I go.

THANK YOU!

Thank you for keeping him and not letting him be in circulation.
Thank you for using the excuse of "not Happy" as the go to for stepping out of a committed relationship.
and Thank you for seeing that relationships do take work, but not the kind that results in nagging or harm.

Like attracts like. Nothing more, nothing less. Please encourage them to stay together....the rest of us want to thank them for sparing us .

Old 11-14-2017, 09:48 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I'm just trying to understand why people stay together when they know it's not working. I mean, why stay with someone who treats you badly and makes you feel insecure about yourself. I thought she had more self-respect than this. In business, she is very smart. Why in her relationship is she so stupid?

I would tell her to stop complaining except that I don't want to lose her friendship because otherwise, she is perfect. It's just this stupid relationship that she is in and doesn't seem to want to leave.

I just don't get it.

I'm going to guess that at SOME point, in the beginning, she was swept off her feet with this guy. She fell head over heels for him.

Sadly, she thinks that even if things are miserable, she's miserable with HIM, and that's better than being alone.

Understand...she gets SOMETHING from this relationship. Actually, both of them do.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think they have both found exactly what they want in a partner.

And my guess is, if John were to suddenly see the light and decide to be a better partner, she'd quickly be out the door saying "it's too little too late. I just don't love him anymore, even though he's improving, I can't turn back time and love him again".

When in fact, if he became a better partner she wouldn't want him anymore. Because he would no longer "fit".

She wants a guy she can complain about all the time and blame her unhappiness on. And vice versa.

And my guess is, she left her ex husband when he stopped being rude to her.

Yup. The rocks in her head match the holes in his.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 AM

867 posts, read 1,588,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
anytime I hear these stories, I go.

THANK YOU!

Thank you for keeping him and not letting him be in circulation.
Thank you for using the excuse of "not Happy" as the go to for stepping out of a committed relationship.
and Thank you for seeing that relationships do take work, but not the kind that results in nagging or harm.

Like attracts like. Nothing more, nothing less. Please encourage them to stay together....the rest of us want to thank them for sparing us .

I was laughing out loud at this one! It's so funny!!!

Old 11-15-2017, 12:59 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:

But aren't they common-law married anyway?
Depends entirely on the state where they are living.

My state, NY, for example, does not grant common-law marriage, however NY does recognize common law marriages that formed in states that do grant them.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:12 PM

315 posts, read 256,087 times
Why are you wasting time trying to determine the motivations behind other human being's behaviors? If you really need to understand why, ASK HER. Maybe what she is telling you is the truth. Maybe not. Who cares? If it bothers you this much, don't be friends with her. If you do choose to continue being her friend, get over it. You do, however, have the right to ask her not to complain about her relationship to you.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:27 AM

16 posts, read 9,405 times
Quote:
One of my best friends has been living with a guy (I'll call him "John") for the past 17 yrs. She has cheated on John at various times due to her not being happy. I think John has cheated as well, but have never talked to him about it.

John doesn't treat her well and this bothers my friend. She says that John told her loved her but wasn't in love with her and that she should find someone else. She has tried to find other men but nothing sticks.

There was one guy she going to leave him for but that fell through when the new guy decided he didn't want a relationship with her.

My problem is that all she does is complain about John and how bad he is to her and that the relationship is going nowhere. But she won't leave him. She just complains about him.

I listen to her because I think that is what a good friend should do but I'm so tired of it. I really think that she doesn't want to be alone (who does?). It's getting harder and harder to have respect for her because of this situation.

She is a pretty, smart, financially secure woman so I don't why she doesn't want to live alone or find a female roommate.

Can someone help me understand what is going on with her? I just don't get this at all. If she is unhappy, then why stay with someone who obviously doesn't want to be with you?
Some people just can't be alone and get stuck in a toxic relationship instead or breaking up and find their full potential. It is easier to stay safe and don't change anything, than breaking up, work on yourself, and find a better partner

Your friend might be pretty and smart, but she is a girl, not a woman. Emotionally adult people understand their own feelings and react to them by doing something, instead of complaining.

You can go straight to the point and tell this to her, but then you will be the wrong person for her and she will find somebody else to complain. OR she will understand whats going on and make a first step. But it's not likely to happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships