Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
For only a couple of dates typically people ghost. Any notification even through text is a hell of a lot more courtesy than most get after two dates.
It was three dates. There are some things you just don't do via text or email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 01:10 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I texted a girl after a couple of dates that altho she was nice and everything, I just didn't feel there was a connection between us, and that I didnt want to go out with her anymore. I thought I did it really softly, I even said "I hope you can find a sweet guy" at the end. Instead of taking the rejection like an adult I just got cursed out...wtf. It was three f'ing dates, and it was pretty obvious that there was no chemistry between us. Why can't people just handle rejection normally?

Did you two have sex? I promise I'm not implying you did or anything like that. I just know sex always clouds the waters in these things.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You don't break up a relationship via text or email. I think that is fair. The problem with that is that three dates don't make a relationship.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It depends on how they interacted, though.

If they always communicated via text, it's not unusual that he would end things that way.

I believe, though, that texting makes it very easy for people to throw accountability out the window, which is why some don't hesitate to put you on blast via text if you **** them off by hurting their ego.

Not saying it's right, just that the protection of being behind a screen emboldens them.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:33 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It depends on how they interacted, though.

If they always communicated via text, it's not unusual that he would end things that way.

I believe, though, that texting makes it very easy for people to throw accountability out the window, which is why some don't hesitate to put you on blast via text if you **** them off by hurting their ego.

Not saying it's right, just that the protection of being behind a screen emboldens them.

I've dated people months, if not years (one, for years it was email or texting), and electronic communication was 100% of the outside date communication. This is a very personal thing.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Nobody likes being rejected. But her response was unacceptable and volatile.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've dated people months, if not years (one, for years it was email or texting), and electronic communication was 100% of the outside date communication. This is a very personal thing.
Right. If you ONLY text and then out of the blue he calls to say, "This isn't working," or, even worse, sets up a date to then say, "This isn't working ..." it would be weird. People get hired and fired via text nowadays. It can be done well, and it should be handled gracefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Nobody likes being rejected. But her response was unacceptable and volatile.

Yep.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:53 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I texted a girl after a couple of dates that altho she was nice and everything, I just didn't feel there was a connection between us, and that I didnt want to go out with her anymore. I thought I did it really softly, I even said "I hope you can find a sweet guy" at the end. Instead of taking the rejection like an adult I just got cursed out...wtf. It was three f'ing dates, and it was pretty obvious that there was no chemistry between us. Why can't people just handle rejection normally?
I'm sorry that that happened to you.You did the right thing and keep on doing the right thing.Some people just tend to take it personally...it's like you're telling them that there is something wrong with them...at least that's what they're thinking.They get insulted.I don't know why some people are like that.This is why many people just either vanish or lie to their faces.You did the right thing by being honest about how you felt without being rude to them...oh well...There will always be people who will lash out at you for being honest..even if you're being honest in a compassionate way.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:57 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You don't break up a relationship via text or email. I think that is fair. The problem with that is that three dates don't make a relationship.
Yeah, with you on this one.

I know that ending something via text seems callous to some people (mainly older), but this is how the dating scene is nowadays. An exclusive relationship should absolutely not be ended via text but when you are casually dating through Tinder, Bumble or other apps/sites then it is common to only talk through text at the beginning (as timberline said). So I do not think it disrespectful of the OP, unless for some reason they were more serious after three dates and the OP is misrepresenting the situation. I don't think that is the case. He at least had the decency not to ghost her, I'll give him that.

It is natural to be upset after being rejected, but it's in very poor taste to lash out that way after that. A simple reply of "I'm disappointed, but thanks for telling me" would have sufficed. Then you can rage in private or with friends.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:16 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
OP, I think what you did is okay, I just wouldn't say "I hope you find a sweet guy" at the end. And I would never say "good luck" when telling someone you no longer wish to see them. (not that you said good luck) I think both of those things sound too patronizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships