Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:04 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
More or less... but is there any way to get his dad to stop asking?
Yes. Answer his solicitations with a suggestion he go into a 12-step program. Every time he asks. Don't even answer the question about money. Respond with a kindly suggestion that he get involved in a program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 11:01 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. Answer his solicitations with a suggestion he go into a 12-step program. Every time he asks. Don't even answer the question about money. Respond with a kindly suggestion that he get involved in a program.
I don't think he is doing drugs/alcohol anymore but he did for a long time when my fiancé & his sisters were young. I think he is somewhat clean but refuses to look for work... ultimately for whatever reason he thinks it's ok to ask for money from a son who got where he is with NO HELP from his father, paying his own way for school and housing. MY fiancé deserves the $$ he works hard for.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Your fiance has to do this. It can't be you. Fiance can come up with a stock answer like, "I won't loan you any more money. Please stop asking." He sends that every time with no further discussion. Does HE have the guts?

Old 01-30-2018, 11:53 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
More or less... but is there any way to get his dad to stop asking?
Yes. Next time there is a request, your fiance should say, "We have recently made a strict financial plan that we will be using in our marriage, and Jdawg is the Comptroller. From now on, Jdawg will be handling our budget, so I need to ask her if we have room in our spending for that, while still meeting our short- and long-term goals." Then you, OP, say no. Can't afford it. Be the brick wall, and use your strict financial goals (keep it vague) as your reason.

After a few times he will stop.

You are also modeling smart financial decisionmaking.

Last edited by zentropa; 01-30-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 12:25 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Your fiance has to do this. It can't be you. Fiance can come up with a stock answer like, "I won't loan you any more money. Please stop asking." He sends that every time with no further discussion. Does HE have the guts?

Old 01-31-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes. Next time there is a request, your fiance should say, "We have recently made a strict financial plan that we will be using in our marriage, and Jdawg is the Comptroller. From now on, Jdawg will be handling our budget, so I need to ask her if we have room in our spending for that, while still meeting our short- and long-term goals." Then you, OP, say no. Can't afford it. Be the brick wall, and use your strict financial goals (keep it vague) as your reason.

After a few times he will stop.

You are also modeling smart financial decisionmaking.
Why is this HER problem to solve? It should be her husband's issue to deal with. I get a sense that he doesn't have the guts to completely cut his dad off. And THIS is the real problem here.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Why is this HER problem to solve? It should be her husband's issue to deal with. I get a sense that he doesn't have the guts to completely cut his dad off. And THIS is the real problem here.
It's a joint problem. They are going to be married, and it is their money in question, hers as much as his. The Dad will be less likely to keep asking for more if SHE acts as the gatekeeper relaying the message of marital solidarity, rather than the son he finds so easy to manipulate.

This is a team effort, and it WILL work. Sometimes it's better to be practical than righteous, don't you agree?

Old 01-31-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
It's a joint problem. They are going to be married, and it is their money in question, hers as much as his. The Dad will be less likely to keep asking for more if SHE acts as the gatekeeper relaying the message of marital solidarity, rather than the son he finds so easy to manipulate.

This is a team effort, and it WILL work. Sometimes it's better to be practical than righteous, don't you agree?
I do NOT agree. They aren't even married yet, for starters. And we don't know if they will have joint finances or not; it's not safe to assume that every married couple handles their money that way. Nonetheless, the father is hounding the SON, so the SON should deal with it, rather than hiding behind his wife's ... uh ... skirt.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I do NOT agree. They aren't even married yet, for starters. And we don't know if they will have joint finances or not; it's not safe to assume that every married couple handles their money that way. Nonetheless, the father is hounding the SON, so the SON should deal with it, rather than hiding behind his wife's ... uh ... skirt.
You still don't get it. The truth doesn't matter to the Dad. The question was how to get him to stop asking. I invented a line they can use to get him to stop asking. It's a negotiating tactic. All the PC bull**** about who controls the finances is irrelevant, and they can do it any way they want. It's the message to the Dad that is important. See?

Old 01-31-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You still don't get it. The truth doesn't matter to the Dad. The question was how to get him to stop asking. I invented a line they can use to get him to stop asking. It's a negotiating tactic. All the PC bull**** about who controls the finances is irrelevant, and they can do it any way they want. It's the message to the Dad that is important. See?
Yeah, I invented a line that HE can use to get Dad to stop asking. See my first post in this thread. Not sure where you are confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships