Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

His comments in the news denying responsibility for how districts react to such draconian cuts to educational funding by the state just leave me amazed...
This is just like the officer at the train station in "Sophie's Choice"--blithely offering Meryl Streep's Sophie a choice but really trying to shed the blame/responsibility for the decision he made for thousands
Which child will you save and which goes to the gas chamber--
what choice is that???

Perry said that teacher layoffs are the districts' decision as to how to balance their individual budgets--
that "The nonteaching core would be the first place I would look if there are going to be reductions," according to his wisdom...

Perry says teacher layoffs are a 'local decision' | Texas Legislature | News from Fort W...

so if they don't WANT to fire teachers then they don't have to...
that is BS and total abrogation of responsibility
the fact is that educational budgets in ISDs are driven by personnel costs--which Perry knows--

and yes--I agree that the admin staff definitely could be reduced in preference to teachers in classrooms...but most districts are going to have to layoff teachers because there is no other way to meet the shortfall...
some districts have pared and pared their budgets to avoid cutting teachers in classroom in past few years--so they have already honed their excess...
And just as the Legislature is not willing to fire themselves to help reduce our budget deficit a school district has to have administrators to run it...

The state's use of Robin-Hood tactics to skim excess funding from most districts has made it more and more difficult for them to grow their rainy day fund for emergencies like this--
many of them are taxed fairly high and might have no room to raise their taxes--
what Perry is doing is forcing local districts to do what he as a Governor and the Legislature as a whole are too chicken and too politicized to do--raise taxes or float bonds to pay for their educational needs...
I know that HEB is probably going to float a bond election for two-tier plan to help pay for necessary repairs and upgrades to physical plants...
and other districts are probably considering if their residents will go for it...

Perry is just shoving the responsibility for the STATE's portion of educational funding down to the local level--again...

This is just another example of a politician who refuses to be honest about the cost of cutting budgets at the expense of human institutions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I heard part of his bs and walked out of the room. The guy is just delusional. I'm seriously starting to think he is good friends w/ Charlie Sheen after that little babbling commentary he had.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Charlie Sheen is relatively sane compared to Rick Perry--IMO
Perry is just not as "dramatic" and his hair is not so disheveled

Old 03-10-2011, 08:21 AM

198 posts, read 499,618 times
I cannot comprehend how anyone would vote for him.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Tta

64 posts, read 223,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPlanoDude View Post
I cannot comprehend how anyone would vote for him.
You and I both...yet there he is, back in office.
Boggles my mind.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:50 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...t?xrs=share_fb

Old 03-10-2011, 08:56 AM

634 posts, read 1,448,478 times
One should point Mr. Perry to Article Seven, Section One of the Texas Constitution:

"ARTICLE 7. EDUCATION

Sec. 1. SUPPORT AND MAINTENANCE OF SYSTEM OF PUBLIC FREE SCHOOLS.

A general diffusion of knowledge being essential to the preservation

of the liberties and rights of the people, it shall be the duty of the

Legislature of the State to establish and make suitable provision for the

support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools."

It does appear some are deeply derelict of their duties.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
One should point Mr. Perry to Article Seven, Section One of the Texas Constitution:

"ARTICLE 7. EDUCATION

Sec. 1. SUPPORT AND MAINTENANCE OF SYSTEM OF PUBLIC FREE SCHOOLS.

A general diffusion of knowledge being essential to the preservation

of the liberties and rights of the people, it shall be the duty of the

Legislature of the State to establish and make suitable provision for the

support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools."

It does appear some are deeply derelict of their duties.
burn!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM

85 posts, read 158,460 times
i wonder what criterion republicans use to pick governors for texas. obviously sanity and competance is not a high priority.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tta View Post
You and I both...yet there he is, back in office.
Boggles my mind.
I have no clue either. I've NEVER voted for him. Don't honestly know that many that have. Or at least that will admit to it. Me's thinking that it be the ones that can not think for themselves and go in and pull a straight party ticket. So wish they would do away with that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas