Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:35 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,093,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Stop attacking this man’s art! Yes, it’s a bit...different, but fascinating. The choreographed street dance was my favorite. Very memorable!

I don't think it's about the art as art. It's about the art as "this is the perfect woman, why won't she appear on my doorstep?" plus as regards this particular thread, the fact that it VERY much underscores "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." MOST people, even if fascinated by these figures, don't find them beautiful. Cy does.

Cy, it is not that a toned or thin body in and of itself automatically looks sick. Not by any means. Can I be honest here...it is the shadowed eyes (like circles from being sick), gauntness of the faces with the slack open mouths, it DOES look like a sick person. You asked. Well, that's the way I see this. I've seen sick, I've seen right near death. Often your girl images remind me of these images I have in my head of the real deal. That "I've almost given up, I'm almost done, part of me is actually already gone and moved on" look.

It IS art, sure. I don't want to attack your talents. And I absolutely love various forms of all the arts. They make us human. Or...they exist because we're human, and then they keep us that way.

But you do paint what MANY other people will see as an extremely depressing picture. All about death, decay. Slack overly wide-staring near-death faces. That's your statement and that's fine. But do most people find it beautiful, like in attractive, if it were on a real person...probably not. This supports the idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You prove the idea is real, right here on this thread and in fact, on many others where you share your art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 10:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,096,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But you do paint what MANY other people will see as an extremely depressing picture. All about death, decay. Slack overly wide-staring near-death faces. That's your statement and that's fine. But do most people find it beautiful, like in attractive, if it were on a real person...probably not. This supports the idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You prove the idea is real, right here on this thread and in fact, on many others where you share your art.

Sure, and there are artists that celebrate the dark, macabre, side of humanity. Francis Bacon became incredibly famous in surrealism doing so. It's not the art in isolation.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sure, and there are artists that celebrate the dark, macabre, side of humanity. Francis Bacon became incredibly famous in surrealism doing so. It's not the art in isolation.
Absolutely. As I said, I find many types of art fascinating.

However, this, specifically, was why "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is supported by this particular art, which, while it may have its own merits (I think it does), underscores what someone thinks is physically beautiful in other humans, were they to walk off the page and become real. Most of us don't seem to feel that way but Cy does. He proves his own point. It's not about critiquing art for art's sake. It's about the idea, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

One's choice of art itself, OTOH, could still support "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," since obviously, beauty doesn't just mean human, physical beauty. In fact, the example of art was used near the beginning several times (I used it too). Two people can look at the same piece, one will be moved to tears, the other will say, "Ugh. That thing is UGLY." Again, support for the general idea.

Cy again and again supports the idea he's attempting to refute.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:46 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,366,438 times
It's true though.

Looks don't matter. Attraction does, and attraction is relative based on people's preferences etc.

And physical beauty is not the end all, be all of things. A very physically attractive person with a nasty personality is not desirable at all, at the end of the day.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
It's true though.

Looks don't matter. Attraction does, and attraction is relative based on people's preferences etc.

And physical beauty is not the end all, be all of things. A very physically attractive person with a nasty personality is not desirable at all, at the end of the day.
Yes. And most healthy people know this.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,096,007 times
Quote:
It's true though.

Bingo. I can't even count the number of objectively good looking people I met and determined they weren't attractive at all.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Yes. And most healthy people know this.

Healthy as in how? Mentally, emotionally?

Old 03-07-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Healthy as in how? Mentally, emotionally?
Yes. IOW, people who see other people as whole, not as objects...people who can function more or less in the actual world. Nobody is perfect and I think we're all a little bent in some way but MOST people ultimately realize we want more than one thing in a partner. That is healthy, IMO, because that is how we view potential partners not as "things" to fit our exact parameters but as complete people with whom to have experiences.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Yes. IOW, people who see other people as whole, not as objects...people who can function more or less in the actual world. Nobody is perfect and I think we're all a little bent in some way but MOST people ultimately realize we want more than one thing in a partner. That is healthy, IMO, because that is how we view potential partners not as "things" to fit our exact parameters but as complete people with whom to have experiences.

Agreed.

But I don't know.

My experiences have left me in a perpetual state of confusion when it comes to dating, relationships, and all things related.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:18 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,123,728 times
Quote:
I don't think it's about the art as art. It's about the art as "this is the perfect woman, why won't she appear on my doorstep?" plus as regards this particular thread, the fact that it VERY much underscores "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." MOST people, even if fascinated by these figures, don't find them beautiful. Cy does.
And I'm a weirdo, never denied it. but even saying that I also find the baywatch/playboy/hooters waitress type of attractive hott also I just tend not to date that type even if I have the opportunity because those types have caused me the most pain when I tried(before I learned that lesson).

Quote:
Cy, it is not that a toned or thin body in and of itself automatically looks sick. Not by any means. Can I be honest here...it is the shadowed eyes (like circles from being sick), gauntness of the faces with the slack open mouths, it DOES look like a sick person. You asked. Well, that's the way I see this. I've seen sick, I've seen right near death. Often your girl images remind me of these images I have in my head of the real deal. That "I've almost given up, I'm almost done, part of me is actually already gone and moved on" look.
Funny because that's how I feel most of the time these days, the older I get the further apart the happy times are as I have no control over the times that give me the greatest joy. TV and movies get it wrong they paint people with depression as ALWAYS being depressed and while there are people like that those people usually grow a bit of acceptance of their state. regulars here may have noticed a gap of almost a couple of years in my posting/venting that was one of those happy periods, was too busy hanging out, making love and making music and art and feeling like I was on cloud 9 with my then girlfriend. I had nothing in life to complain about. then it ended (she's one of the women who I mentioned has been trying to get back with me for a year and some change).
Hell sometimes I think I'm cursed, it's like I'm not allowed to have a happy life for more than a few months at a time on average or years at a time in best case scenarios. it always ends in abandonment, hell even my biological mother abandoned me.

people always say"find happiness within" but what if nothing else gives you that same spark?
people say "do things you enjoy doing" well I do, but those same things I enjoy 100x's more when doing them with someone I care about and I notice the difference. I feel the deference.

And feeling has always been an issue for me as I only really feel a handful of emotions, I can feel the dull echo of most emotions but that's it. but I feel love/joy intensely when it's there and feel depression/anger/sadness in the absence of it. being around friends I feel a dull comfort of familiarity but nothing intense. that romantic bliss is the only strong positive emotion I'm wired to feel, and its the only thing that brings the other positive emotions to come out and stretch their legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships