Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 PM

93 posts, read 63,884 times

Advertisements

Back story: It was almost like a movie. Her flights got cancelled on a visit to FL for a job interview and she had to stay with her cousin (my then roommate) - we met. We had an instant physical connection but we put it aside. She got the job and we became the best of friends. There wasn't one weekend where I didn't think to make plans with her. She stood by me patiently as I continued to see the wrong people. I took a job in Chicago and we continued to see each other every few weeks or so (her family and close friends live in the area). We even went on a European vacation together and that's when we realized we had fallen into a situation that was much more than just "friends".

Fast forward and after a year of knowing each other we finally decided to make it official and have been happily dating for two months now with visits every 2 weeks. All of our friends and family are ecstatic. We have discussed the prospect of closing the distance by August - she has work opportunities in the area as a result of her family/friend ties and is unhappy in FL and I am already established in my career here. Is this too soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrodriguez View Post
Back story: It was almost like a movie. Her flights got cancelled on a visit to FL for a job interview and she had to stay with her cousin (my then roommate) - we met. We had an instant physical connection but we put it aside. She got the job and we became the best of friends. There wasn't one weekend where I didn't think to make plans with her. She stood by me patiently as I continued to see the wrong people. I took a job in Chicago and we continued to see each other every few weeks or so (her family and close friends live in the area). We even went on a European vacation together and that's when we realized we had fallen into a situation that was much more than just "friends".

Fast forward and after a year of knowing each other we finally decided to make it official and have been happily dating for two months now with visits every 2 weeks. All of our friends and family are ecstatic. We have discussed the prospect of closing the distance by August - she has work opportunities in the area as a result of her family/friend ties and is unhappy in FL and I am already established in my career here. Is this too soon?
Not necessarily, since you've known each other for a while. But that doesn't mean it will be easy. Being in a long-distance relationship means you've mostly seen each other's best-behavior sides. The transition to living together will be rough, but hopefully you both have great communication skills and lots of patience.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:45 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I don't think it's too soon. It sounds like your feelings are leading to you into a long-term, full time commitment. And a couple that can travel in foreign countries together happily can live together happily.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:36 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Too soon?

Nope, as mentioned you two already spent time with each other before, it's not like a one night stand thing.

The time you spent with her is more than enough to have got a good feeling for her and the relationship.

Better close the deal now rather than later.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:58 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't think it's too soon. It sounds like your feelings are leading to you into a long-term, full time commitment. And a couple that can travel in foreign countries together happily can live together happily.

Hee hee....yes, traveling with someone shows you what they are REALLY like....

Old 03-21-2018, 01:01 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hee hee....yes, traveling with someone shows you what they are REALLY like....
I have always maintained that before a couple marries or moves in together, they should plan and take a two-week cross-country road trip together.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:33 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
If you both have steady employment and savings to fall back on, there should be no problem cohabitating. Worse case scenario, one of you can easily move out.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:47 PM

93 posts, read 63,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have always maintained that before a couple marries or moves in together, they should plan and take a two-week cross-country road trip together.
That's great advice! We did 10 days throughout Ireland and a side trip to Prague - experience of a lifetime.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:21 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
I moved to another country with my SO after we had been dating about 9 months. It was a huge leap of faith, for sure, but my thoughts at the time were a.) This feels right and b.) Nothing has to be permanent.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
No....It sounds like a natural progression. Be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships