Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:41 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
At risk of offending with this analogy, I bought a new car recently. It's not the car I would have bought if I could have bought any car I wanted. But within the options actually available to me, I feel like I made a good choice, and I'm quite happy with it.

So did I settle, or did I choose wisely?
The term for it is "satisficing" in that it both satisfies and suffices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 09:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,620,773 times
Quote:
At risk of offending with this analogy, I bought a new car recently. It's not the car I would have bought if I could have bought any car I wanted. But within the options actually available to me, I feel like I made a good choice, and I'm quite happy with it.

I’d say you did both. My car isn’t anything fancy, but it’s the exact car I wanted and there isn’t really anything I’d change about it if I could. (Ok, I’m lying. I’d make it self-driving.)

Old 04-04-2018, 10:11 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
As touched on by a few already, what many call "settling" might more appropriately be called accepting reality and becoming reasonable. A relationship isn't just about what you want in a partner but also about what the other wants in a partner and your ability to offer that.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:22 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:

If the new car has not made you forget the desired one, if you'd still rather have it and you'd swap immediately if the (assumed) more expensive one became available to you, then yes, you settled.
Substitute a woman for the car and I think you'll agree with me.
Was it a wise thing to do? Certainly , since the car has no feelings and doesn't know it's second best.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:30 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
As far as the OP's question concerning relationships, the word "ideal" was used.
I think it's a safe bet to say very, very few find a perfect ideal but that is more a dropping of unrealistic expectations that you discover aren't all that important rather than it is "settling".

Old 04-04-2018, 10:35 AM

777 posts, read 453,033 times
I may not be with the "perfect man" but I am happy. We both have our drawbacks, but I don't feel like I settled (and I don't think he does either). My highest priority was and is honesty and fidelity. I feel like I have that, so I will cheerfully adapt and accept areas where he's less than perfect. That's just being an adult, accepting reality, and understanding not everything will always go as planned.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:55 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If the new car has not made you forget the desired one, if you'd still rather have it and you'd swap immediately if the (assumed) more expensive one became available to you, then yes, you settled.
Substitute a woman for the car and I think you'll agree with me.
Was it a wise thing to do? Certainly , since the car has no feelings and doesn't know it's second best.
We're all second best. What's remarkable is when we connect with people despite being second, or 50th, best.

Do you not know any happy couples who couldn't possibly have felt that they were each other's ideal when they met, but who formed a deep connection that put those ideals on a shelf somewhere collecting dust?

Old 04-04-2018, 11:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Chriz, I'm curious. How many long-term relationships have you been in? Are your family and friends in loving relationships as well? You talk about interpersonal issues like it's all theoretical, like you've never seen it in person.
PM me if you want to learn more about me.

As far as this thread is concerned, please stay on topic.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
How would one go about collecting this sort of data in any meaningful way?

How does one assess whether or not most people are with or are not with their ideal partner, as an outside observer?

You'd have a hard time coming up with a decent operational definition of "ideal." What people consider to be ideal is extremely subjective.
You can start your own thread about that.

This thread is for people who have already formed an opinion on the subject matter.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:12 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
You know what's odd... I would say, between my boyfriend and I, that my objective dating "market value" as in, how many options even worth consideration I might have, if I made myself available in my social environment, is way, way higher than his. If we are talking outside-looking-in, how easy would it be for me to find a partner, versus how easy it has (not) been for him.

But if you asked me who settled? I'd think he did. I don't get the sense he feels that way, he seems genuinely enthusiastic and grateful to have me. But I see it as a difference in our psychology. I considered many options, dated many people, and partnered with the one who truly makes me happy, without much of a preconceived "ideal" of what he might be, before we met. I went along like "I'll know it when I see it." I know other people might not think he's perfect, but I think he's perfect for me.

He held out and waited, with more of an "ideal" in his mind, as to what he really wanted, and it's one reason I'm his first relationship and he's almost 60. He would not settle for just any woman. And while I feel I made the threshold of what he needed...he probably, in fantasy, would rather a younger or more perfect looking woman, I think. Maybe one without kids, or an ex in the background. Can't say I'd blame him. I don't feel that I am his "ideal" but I'm as close to it as he's ever going to get, and he knows that, and is, I think, more than content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships