Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 04:52 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

I take it that this is an excuse for just not getting any dates.

It always perplexes me, if I went somewhere and there were no guys I wanted to date, I wouldn't start a thread on how much guys suck. I would just be on my way...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 03:33 PM

1,178 posts, read 685,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Do not recommend. In the generic interest social groups, the women are generally subpar compared to your average population at a trendy bar on a weeknight night. The few women that do come that are mediocre get swarmed by men with poor social skills, have a poor time, and rarely return.

The specific interest groups (tennis, windsurfing, etc.) are slightly better, but still pale.

Here's the major problem with Meetup.com. Meetup.com is not considered cool. Females, especially younger and attractive females, want to associate with things that are cool.

Stick with bars, grocery stores, malls, coffee shops, etc. as means of meeting women. Maybe co-ed sports leagues or the gym too. If you can meet females through your social circle, do it.
Making a lot if unfounded assumptions here presented as truths. How would you know the women are “uncool” and “subpar” unless yourself, who must also be uncool and subpar, attends the groups?!?

Ridiculous.

Meetup is hit or miss. The specific interest groups are usually pretty good. I use meetup very, very often for and have had tons of fun.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:48 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I always thought Meetups were more for a particular activity or interest. What is the OPs interest? Just meeting women?
There are people who suggest Meetup groups as a way to meet people and find possible interests, or as they package it, "Go out and have fun. Do things and just meet people. By being appealing and fun you'll attract interesting people." or something to that effect.

I used it when I was new-ish to Atlanta. I joined several groups. They were fun and interesting, but not where I'd look for actual interests. My groups were either dominated by older women, older couples and men, older married men, or college-aged men.

Quote:
And this...

Anyone off the street can go ANYWHERE. You find them in stores, libraries, clubs, even... just on the street! If it scares you, don't go to a Meetup alone in someone's home.
Ditto.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
I'm surprised that some took my comments so personally.

I tried Meetup.com to meet women, make friends, and to network. I'm trying not to offend anyone so I don't want to delve any further on my experience. I just wanted to know other people experiences and see if I did something wrong (considering i'm very new to the site). I'm one of the few people who don't like the idea of using an app or social media to meet new people. I think it's lazy and distant. I prefer meeting new people in person because you can instantly tell if you click with them or not. Whereas online you could trade comments with someone for weeks and later realize you don't have any interest in them (romantically or as a friend).

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. *hugs*

Last edited by FreshFresh; 04-23-2018 at 07:09 PM..

Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 PM

602 posts, read 395,977 times
This thread is hilarious. I am on Meetup and have met some great ladies that way. We are all part of at least one coed group and our main complaint about those is that the guys are all either super thirsty or not that cute. So, yeah.... lol

Old 04-23-2018, 07:01 PM

602 posts, read 395,977 times
I wouldn't mind meeting guys to date, bit I am open to meeting and making friends with men AND women. I just feel like the men are there to make male friends and find female dates, as if you can't be friends with women.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:19 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

It always perplexes me, if I went somewhere and there were no guys I wanted to date, I wouldn't start a thread on how much guys suck. I would just be on my way...
You've missed your opportunity to post about sub-par men at whatever venues.

Oh, wait---looks like someone else covered that base for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfRescuingPrincess;
.This thread is hilarious. I am on Meetup and have met some great ladies that way. We are all part of at least one coed group and our main complaint about those is that the guys are all either super thirsty or not that cute. So, yeah.... lol

Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 PM

814 posts, read 760,231 times
Met two older women. Had a FWB deal with one who was 43. At the time I was 30.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:31 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm surprised that some took my comments so personally.

I tried Meetup.com to meet women, make friends, and to network. I'm trying not to offend anyone so I don't want to delve any further on my experience. I just wanted to know other people experiences and see if I did something wrong (considering i'm very new to the site). I'm one of the few people who don't like the idea of using an app or social media to meet new people. I think it's lazy and distant. I prefer meeting new people in person because you can instantly tell if you click with them or not. Whereas online you could trade comments with someone for weeks and later realize you don't have any interest in them (romantically or as a friend).

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. *hugs*
Forgive me for saying so, but you did bring it up, so...I can't imagine you're that surprised, since you launched in about "bitter," "jaded" "older" women from the get-go. It's pretty unlikely you had no idea these were going to come off as pretty nasty, speaking into a forum filled with women.

Hugs back.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You've missed your opportunity to post about sub-par men at whatever venues.

Oh, wait---looks like someone else covered that base for you:
Yeah, that's the thing, what if the women are just as disappointed and that's why they're coming off as pretty closed-off and not all that friendly?

Maybe they had the same motives but just aren't finding men they're attracted to, and they're frustrated just like the OP.

Just a thought. Women who like what they see (and speak to) are usually (not always but usually) pretty friendly...smiling...welcoming, etc., to various degrees but there's encouragement.

It seems like either way, unless you're straight-up about it, like a "singles in City X" Meetup or something, then kind of "shifting" in to some non-dating focused group hoping to accidentally bump into someone totally hot may just be missing the mark. I think, either be straight-up about it, or do something else to meet dates. This in-between thing doesn't seem that successful, at least overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships