Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 11:49 AM

22 posts, read 8,946 times

Advertisements

Need some quick advice. Engaged to a man for 3 years. Waiting on catholic annulment for marriage.

During this time, I start my own company (4 months ago) and I got an investor. My SO didn’t believe in my business until I got an investor. Then, he wanted to be all over it.

He offered me and my investor advice on the parts that pertained to his own niche. I was trying to make him feel included and I certainly appreciate his insight.

I got the investor to pay him for his consulting work for a few months. But, he was very angry that I didn’t give him equity in the deal when the company was formed.

My investor isn’t new to this. He owns 49 percent and I own 51. But he is also doing some of the work on this business in addition to putting up the cash.

Again, my partner says he wanted to be on the paperwork. He didn’t want a “measly stipend…he wanted equity”

I told him that if we are married, what’s mine is HIS and vice versa. He said that since we have had so much drama in our relationship and he is struggling with health issues, he predicts I will leave him. And he literally said “anyone from the outside would look at our relationship and say buddy, you better get your name on the papers before marriage!”

Well, I didn’t. I told him that in time — we could talk about it. He has connected me with a friend and a very pivotal person who could help my business get its first BIG contract. The guy is very powerful. I presented the plan to this guy and he loved the company and has offered to help and wants to be an advisor.

We have also told him that we will give him small commission on any contract he establishes for us. He also wants option to invest down the road. My business partner and I said SURE!

Well, yesterday my fiancé became outraged that we were going to give this commission opportunity to the man he connected me to. He said “I GAVE HIM TO YOU! DON’T I GET ANYTHING?” I said yes, you are getting paid monthly.

He said he is worth more than 2k a month for his work and it’s a slap in the face. He continued to tell me that he wants equity. I said we can talk about 1-2 percent for 30 hours of work a month. (THIS IS STANDARD ACCORDING TO LAWYERS). He said NO F WAY! He was LIVID.

He told me that if he pulls out — or If we are “done” he will go tell his “friend” to pull out too and that I will never survive. He said “mark my words, you and your investor won’t last more than 6 months without me”.

I am horrified on pretty much any level. What do I do? I feel like I am sandwiched in….badly. If I leave him, now he’s going to try to ruin my company? OR he wants massive equity?

The company isn’t profitable yet, but we already have other investors lined up. And it looks like it could do well in 5-10 years. But, nothing is overnight. And it’s true, if I lose his “friend” then… I will definitely struggle because getting this first contract is HUGE for us. It’s a big name, too.

SO — WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Old 04-21-2018, 11:57 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Oh, sorry he is behaving this way. I'll let others with business experience chime in...but

Do you really want to marry someone who acts this way? I'm appalled at this, on your behalf...

will just leave you with that question instead of telling you what I think of him.

Congratulations on YOUR hard work.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:01 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
A. Don't marry this guy. B. If you're working with a business lawyer, talk to them about your options and how to protect your business.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:19 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
He would not get equity plus he would no longer be my fiancé.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Same advice as last time you posted ... Never let anyone treat you this way.

Break it off with him.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:25 PM

22 posts, read 8,946 times
Is there any way I could tell his "friend" what kind of **** he's trying to pull on me? I actually thought of recording him making these threats -- so he could hear what this is really about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
He would not get equity plus he would no longer be my fiancé.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:59 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Better to get rid of your fiance now and not have to deal with someone who would bully you personally and professionally. Can you imagine living with a man like this? Run. Run fast. Do it now. You can start a business later -if you go forward working with him and actually having a relationship with him, you are setting yourself for years of hell.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:08 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
You are essentially being extorted by your fiancé. He is acting neither ethically, nor in your best interests as your future husband. He sounds like a reject from a Sopranos episode. Call his bluff, and run your business as you, and your investor want. Then tell him to leave you alone permanently.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:24 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusland2 View Post
Is there any way I could tell his "friend" what kind of **** he's trying to pull on me? I actually thought of recording him making these threats -- so he could hear what this is really about.
Of course. Just tell him. He'll either believe you or stick with his 'friend' but you have nothing to lose .
Of course, if you have no intention of dumping this AH, don't bother.
Don't suck people into your drama if you intend to stay with him....or us, either.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:51 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
You've posted this exact same question numerous times. Same situation = same answer. Dump him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships