Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:31 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,564,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
He reads as someone who likes to nurture real relationships.

What’s your take: friendly or more?
how about you read what he writes instead of reading between lines that only you see?

date him if you want, and figure out if you like him enough to marry him, if not you arent going to lose anything in the process that you werent going to lose due to getting older, time doesnt wait for the indecisive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe he'll introduce you to one of his friends who will actually ask you out...eventually? Is he/are they all afraid to be alone with a woman? It all sounds quite odd but if you're having fun and have low expectations, you might as well keep going.
Maybe? The gay friend was definitely attractive. Maybe he has a whole circle of friends that are my type.

Maybe these dates were setup for him. He’d definitely not shy about suggesting things to do, maybe it is the formal asking part he is confused about.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:47 AM

639 posts, read 377,494 times
The whole thing sounds odd to me. Why is he scheduling meal time with an old, gay friend?

I have old friends that are gay. We aren't setting up a time to go out to dinner somewhere.

Why is he talking to you about his first kiss? Wonder how that topic came up.

A whole lot here we don't know. hard to tell the guy's motivation.

Maybe he just sucks at approaching woman and likes you.

Maybe he is indifferent for a relationship and likes being single.

For most guys, they don't invest in you unless there is something more going on then a strictly friendly relationship with no other benefits. If they are in Jr. High school maybe, but not adults.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:04 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
He’s straight.
Well, at least we cleared that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408;
They are 15 years out of college. The college friend is newish to the area K is not. Which adds to the puzzle. It seems like he has a broad circle so I am surprised he is so gung ho about devoting time to a nascent friendship.

So far we both like ha Hong out and he seems fun so that’s a pro in his column.
Surprising that he's not new to the area. Somehow, he gives the impression of being new, and wanting to build a circle of friends, which includes you. I guess you two hit it off to some extent at that party (I remember that thread), so he feels like you're fun, and have common interests.

Seems platonic for now, but who knows, ultimately? But one can never have too many friends, right? He sounds cool. OTOH, maybe he's pretending it's platonic, inviting a 3rd wheel on some of these outings, because he doesn't want to lose you altogether, and risk not seeing you again, with a fake "I have a boyfriend" line, if he were to be upfront about wanting to date? Maybe he's testing the waters? (I say this right after reading Bo Lorem's post.). IDK. I'm still leaning more toward "platonic" though.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
how about you read what he writes instead of reading between lines that only you see?

date him if you want, and figure out if you like him enough to marry him, if not you arent going to lose anything in the process that you werent going to lose due to getting older, time doesnt wait for the indecisive
You're implying the OP is single because she's "indecisive"? And btw, he hasn't asked her to date him. That's kind of what the thread is about. Is it really necessary to be rude, in order to give the OP feedback?

Old 05-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
The whole thing sounds odd to me. Why is he scheduling meal time with an old, gay friend?

I have old friends that are gay. We aren't setting up a time to go out to dinner somewhere.
No clue, but apparently the guy came out after college so he find find out he was gay till now. He might be a connector sort of person.
Quote:
Why is he talking to you about his first kiss? Wonder how that topic came up.
It was a random circle to that one. But I seem to have gift for people randomly telling me personal stuff so that doesn’t surprise me. People will tell me about their mot embarrassing moments, first sexual encounter all sorts of stuff. Unprompted.

Quote:
A whole lot here we don't know. hard to tell the guy's motivation.

Maybe he just sucks at approaching woman and likes you.

Maybe he is indifferent for a relationship and likes being single.

For most guys, they don't invest in you unless there is something more going on then a strictly friendly relationship with no other benefits. If they are in Jr. High school maybe, but not adults.
Definitely unusual. Lots more time invested than the average random guy I have met.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:31 AM

639 posts, read 377,494 times
Quote:
No clue, but apparently the guy came out after college so he find find out he was gay till now. He might be a connector sort of person.

It was a random circle to that one. But I seem to have gift for people randomly telling me personal stuff so that doesn’t surprise me. People will tell me about their mot embarrassing moments, first sexual encounter all sorts of stuff. Unprompted.

Definitely unusual. Lots more time invested than the average random guy I have met.
Either way it sounds like a fun time.

I recommend continuing to hang out, have fun. If you like the guy, I'm sure you know the ways to show a guy subtly that you like them in ways more than just friends.

If he has any clue at all about women, he'll respond accordingly.

If not, then either he is too scared to act which is only saving you time or not interested and you can just keep things friendly if you choose.

It's possible he's meeting with you in good intentions to eventually hook you up with one of his buddies, but this in reality is highly unlikely.

Men are possessive creatures. We aren't generally out of the goodness of our hearts taking an attractive women and giving them to our buddies.

We want them all to ourselves.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
Either way it sounds like a fun time.

I recommend continuing to hang out, have fun. If you like the guy, I'm sure you know the ways to show a guy subtly that you like them in ways more than just friends.

If he has any clue at all about women, he'll respond accordingly.

If not, then either he is too scared to act which is only saving you time or not interested and you can just keep things friendly if you choose.

It's possible he's meeting with you in good intentions to eventually hook you up with one of his buddies, but this in reality is highly unlikely.

Men are possessive creatures. We aren't generally out of the goodness of our hearts taking an attractive women and giving them to our buddies.

We want them all to ourselves.

Yup, nothing to lose here. He seems fun, we have good conversation! I can play it by ear and turn up the charm as needed.

He's inviting me to stuff with a new crowd. Maybe he has cool friends too. As I was joking with some female friends about, we don't have enough guy friends to intro us to other guys.

He probably has a bunch of guy friends that are outside of my circle. We didn't go to the same college, he went to college on the east coast, I went to college locally. Many of my friends are locals. So he probably has access to a whole crew that I don't even know exists.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Is HE gay too? I think you better confirm that first.
Wow, great question. I hadn't even thought of that. ETA: Oh, sorry. I didn't read down far enough. I don't know, though...his bringing it up...then making a whole "ha-ha" conversation trying to drive home how very very non-gay he was...well, I may be cynical but I'd still be wondering.

It's just so...well, actually, like RBCCL said, it sounds like an episode of Friends.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,074,140 times
I just don't understand asking someone you just met to be the world's most awkward 3rd wheel on your first time out together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships