Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Man.

If someone gave me a ring worth thousands of dollars, I think it would actually fill me with anxiety, because it's such a small thing, so easy to lose. Even having something like that on my person would freak me out. And given that one of my "tricks" to not getting robbed in life is to not flash my net worth around, having something like that on my finger 24/7 would bug me on that front, too. I'd feel like I was living with a target painted on my back.

I'd prefer a beautiful piece of amber in a finely worked silver filigree, anyways. Or a down payment on a house. Or a luxurious vacation. No one can steal my memories and unless I get Alzheimer's or something, I won't accidentally lose them!
You think like my gf soon to be fiancé. She too doesn't want a ring like that because she's worried about losing it or messing it up, so she rather have something simple and low-key that's not too much than to have a big ring. Rather save the thousands of dollars on a house, future, trips, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 11:17 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
Quote:
Man.

If someone gave me a ring worth thousands of dollars, I think it would actually fill me with anxiety, because it's such a small thing, so easy to lose. Even having something like that on my person would freak me out. And given that one of my "tricks" to not getting robbed in life is to not flash my net worth around, having something like that on my finger 24/7 would bug me on that front, too. I'd feel like I was living with a target painted on my back.

I'd prefer a beautiful piece of amber in a finely worked silver filigree, anyways. Or a down payment on a house. Or a luxurious vacation. No one can steal my memories and unless I get Alzheimer's or something, I won't accidentally lose them!
That is why you buy insurance for those expensive pieces of jewelry. To protect your self.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:30 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
That is why you buy insurance for those expensive pieces of jewelry. To protect your self.
Oh, sure. But though it might be covered, I don't get my peace of mind back if someone mugs me at gunpoint or breaks into my house because they noticed my bling and decided I must be loaded. And I'm not sure if it's covered, if you take it off in a public bathroom and forget it on the sink, and by the time you go back it's gone. I lost one of my favorite rings that way once. Thankfully it was not a very costly piece, and I know the artist, so I could replace it with something similar.

It just feels like waving around a wad of $100's, even if I won the lotto, I wouldn't want to be all flashy with my wealth like that. And I'd rather a partner who proved his worth by being a good companion, primarily, than one who proved it with expensive gifts.

I don't judge anybody, people like what they like, that's cool...this is just where my head's at, that's all.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am ok with my diamonds being mined by slave labor. But you do you... I wanted the real deal.

In the process of searching for a diamond, fiancé was so tired of hearing sales people justifying the high price by saying that they were conflict free and not blood diamonds, he finally told on lady he will take the blood diamonds for the discount led price. Finally shut her up.
Klassy.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Man.

The thing that always astounds me (and I am pretty financially pragmatic and NOT a person who is pro wearing thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of jewelry on my finger, by any means...my engagement and wedding bands are both fairly simple and relatively modest) is the number of women who a. insist upon a particular ring and then b. don't wear it regularly once married. I've been blown away by the number of women who simply elect to keep the ring that was such a big deal/status symbol/whatever in a jewelry box, versus wearing it. Just because they don't like it for everyday wear...not talking about people whose career fields prohibit wearing jewelry for various reasons, etc.

I never take my rings, off, personally, except when kneading dough. My grandma wore her engagement ring from when she got it in 1942 to the day she died in 2007, and was buried in it. All my childhood, I was fascinated by it...it was a tiny chip of a diamond on a thin gold band, the most my grandfather, a WWII soldier, could afford. The gold band was, by my childhood in the 80s and 90s,worn to a thin, spindly wire. But she never, ever took it off, not even when her husband died in 1977.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:00 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I know what I like. It just happens to be that what I like is expensive. I have expensive tastes, but my reality doesn't match my fantasy.

I like Emerald cuts, and Asscher cut diamonds. Ideally, I'd like a 4 or 5 carat emerald cut diamond ring, with trillions on the side, and then princess cut small diamonds going down the shafts of the ring.

What I have is an emerald cut, almost 2 carat, with trillions on the side, no princess cut diamonds on the shaft.

Sooo...what I'd want is about $20,000. For ME, it'd be unconscionable to have such an expensive ring...unless I won a whole hella lot of money in the lottery. I like what I like, but the reality is a little downscaled. LOL
Lol. I like the way you think. Thankfully my fiancé knows me well and wanted to get me what I wanted from the start and he would not have to listen about upgrades later on.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Man.

I love jewelry. And just like furniture, I only want the real deal. I detest silver as it is way to much maintenance.

I have diamond rings on both hands, but I never take them off when I am out. They fit properly so that won’t fall out and more importantly, they are insured. I also don’t go in areas that would be prone to robbery.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Oh, sure. But though it might be covered, I don't get my peace of mind back if someone mugs me at gunpoint or breaks into my house because they noticed my bling and decided I must be loaded. And I'm not sure if it's covered, if you take it off in a public bathroom and forget it on the sink, and by the time you go back it's gone. I lost one of my favorite rings that way once. Thankfully it was not a very costly piece, and I know the artist, so I could replace it with something similar.

It just feels like waving around a wad of $100's, even if I won the lotto, I wouldn't want to be all flashy with my wealth like that. And I'd rather a partner who proved his worth by being a good companion, primarily, than one who proved it with expensive gifts.

I don't judge anybody, people like what they like, that's cool...this is just where my head's at, that's all.
Honestly no one has ever said anything about my jewelry in public. I would assume because I have jeans on with a plumbing company logo, T-shirt and hoodie, they would think my rings are costume. I am ok with that, because they really are for my enjoyment and I know what they are.

First rule of jewelry is never take it off in public.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:47 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I love jewelry. And just like furniture, I only want the real deal. I detest silver as it is way to much maintenance.

I have diamond rings on both hands, but I never take them off when I am out. They fit properly so that won’t fall out and more importantly, they are insured. I also don’t go in areas that would be prone to robbery.
I don't spend a lot of time slumming myself, but I've heard of robberies happening in even nice areas, places I've been that seemed very safe. I don't assume.

I don't care for fancy furniture either. I like comfortable furniture, and I don't want to lose my mind when my cat scratches it up. I love my cat more than I love my old couch. Toss a nice comfy throw blanket over it, good to go.

But see, even that is part of my point in how I like my things. My couch was a gift from a very sweet man I dated, with whom I am honored to still have a friendship, and the blanket that is presently over the back was made by a dear and talented friend of ours, it's crocheted of beautiful colors. So much better (to me) than some expensive leather couch I bought myself, with no provenance beyond a price tag and a name brand, these things are treasured reminders of the people I've had in my life. Those connections and memories are the real wealth. Not the value of the objects that symbolize them.

All a matter of personal taste. I tend to put my money into experience, and my art collection. I have a pretty serious art collection; some of those pieces are valuable.

My favorite piece of jewelry, is a "slave bracelet" (ring/bracelet with chain between) that my mother gave me, she got it when she was a teenager in the early 70's, and it's very unique. It is silver, and I don't really know what you mean about high maintenance, because I occasionally polish it, but it doesn't need it often. In most of my favorite silver pieces, the tarnish gets into the details of the design and provides contrast, the surfaces remain shiny.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:17 AM

Another not-insignificant issue of note is that there are also widely varying opinions re: ring "upgrades."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships