Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:36 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
If you're pathetic and/or okay with looking like the guy who is buying women's lingerie for himself to wear.
Hey, what's so embarrassing and pathetic about a guy walking into Victoria's Secret and buying women's lingerie? Did you ever think that it's most likely a gift for a woman in their lives? I mean, I've done it before. And usually when the representative comes up and asks ''Can I help you with anything today?'', my go-to response is usually ''Yeah, I'm a cross dresser and I'm looking around''. Usually I get a nice laugh, then I break character and tell them I'm only kidding and that I'm shopping for a girlfriend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 04:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,138,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Hey, what's so embarrassing and pathetic about a guy walking into Victoria's Secret and buying women's lingerie? Did you ever think that it's most likely a gift for a woman in their lives? I mean, I've done it before. And usually when the representative comes up and asks ''Can I help you with anything today?'', my go-to response is usually ''Yeah, I'm a cross dresser and I'm looking around''. Usually I get a nice laugh, then I break character and tell them I'm only kidding and that I'm shopping for a girlfriend.
but if your buying some for your wife or gf but then flirt with the salesgirl that is pathetic and gross.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:49 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Lovin’ it!!!

Old 06-10-2018, 06:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
When I was young and single I got asked out several times by customers or just people who saw me working while they did business with people around me. I took a few guys up on offers for lunch/dinner but I don't recall any lasting relationships coming out of that. I mostly dated guys I worked with and ended up falling in love twice and getting married once! Now that dating coworkers/customers is "frowned upon" it makes me wonder how anyone ever meets organically, it's as if the rules are forcing you to go online to meet people who aren't already part of your social circle.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:27 AM

777 posts, read 452,863 times
So I was only 16, and working in a retail establishment.... This guy came into the store with a simple bouquet of flowers, gave them to me, said he'd noticed me walking by the place he worked for a while now... he loved how I dressed.... yada yada....

What can I say? I was starry-eyed, naĂŻve, and it didn't hurt that he bore a distinct resemblance to Shaun Cassidy. (Yes, I am aware I am dating myself here.)

Of course I went out with him. Of course, it didn't work long term - I was 16....

But if you're going to ask out a stranger working with the public, go big or go home. IMO.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:37 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
I'm not a fan...but like most things, it depends.

I worked retail when I was younger, and I am generally pretty friendly...but most of the time when I was being asked out, I wasn't available. I was in a committed relationship, and while I was going to be smiling and nice about it, I was going to also say no. The problem is when guys don't want to take a no, but think if they just persist, the answer will change. At that point, you're not doing anything that will be appreciate by anyone. Like does any guy actually think a woman will dump her committed partner for some rando who just always comes into the store where she works?

So I draw the line where it's just harassing someone because they can't get away, they have to do their job.

And on that note, it's extra bad when it's a coworker. If I feel like a dude is holding the power of forced proximity to MAKE me have to deal with his ongoing attempts to pursue me, after I've clearly said no to him, I'm not going to be happy about that. And it's happened more frequently with supervisors, especially those in middle-management positions such as shift leaders or team leads or assistant managers, than with any other kind of person. Only once was it a customer doing that.

Twice I had guys threaten to get me fired if I didn't go to bed with them. Even though I was in a relationship. I ended up quitting those jobs, but this was back in the late 90's and I was pretty young. Nowadays, I would go to HR with something like that.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:13 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Quote:
Hey, what's so embarrassing and pathetic about a guy walking into Victoria's Secret and buying women's lingerie?
Absolutely nothing.

Asking out the VS cashier because you think the atmosphere of the store is conducive to flirting with the employees? Pathetic. That's what my post was in response to.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
I got asked out ALL THE TIME as a waitress, but there is a different dynamic there. At fast food, they are not sitting there all the time and you are not dependent on their tips. Even if I didn't care about tips I couldn't offend a regular, I wanted to let them down SO gently, so there is no embarrassment, hard feelings.

At ff I wouldn't care as much. I'd still want to be nice, but I would probably tell a little white lie. 'Sorry, I'm taken'.

One guy who was there all the time I was more real with. He said he wanted to marry me, which was not uncommon. I said you know you think that because your experience of me is that I bring you beer and smile at you no matter what you say, and that is not how a relationship would be at all.

I did go out with, and eventually get engaged to a customer. We also went to the same college, but didn't meet there. He dragged his friend to eat and drink there probably more often than they actually wanted to, so that he could get to know me a little before asking me out, which apparently required gaining the courage to.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:04 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
i work in fast food and get asked out pretty often. being pretty has nothing to do with it, everywhere i have ever worked it seems like most of the females i work with also get asked out a lot. sometimes it's by random customers, sometimes it's by guys that come in every day. they learn your name and then ask you out. i am sure other people who work in fast food or retail may know what i'm talking about... you will get hit on if you work those jobs lol.

I do like getting asked out and it does make me feel good. sometimes I will even accept. but i really do hate the way guys go about it. If i do get asked out, it's usually when theres a huge line of people and then i just get really embarrassed. i feel really put on the spot and then i get nervous and i feel like the customers that are around or waiting are listening. i would like it better if guys came up to me after my shift or maybe when there are less people around.

so, have you ever been asked out at work? (by a customer not my coworkers). Was it awkward? what kind of job do you have? Just want to know if others go through this and how you handle it
If they are an automatic 'swipe left' just tell them no politely, maybe say 'Sorry, I am taken'. If they are a possible to you, then you can suggest they come back at x time when your shift is over. This also gives you a chance to chat with him before deciding if you want to give your number.

BTW, you are stunning. Absolute pure natural beauty with a radiant smile. You are going to have this 'problem' ALOT, no matter where you work!

Old 06-15-2018, 07:06 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
All men understand "Sorry, I'm Taken." As a man I get practice on my flirting techniques, and I know one day I'll get a, "Why, no! I'm not!"

Note that I'm OLN and don't usually meet women in RL. Nevertheless it is good for both men and women to practice our flirting techniques.

You improve your social skills in every case, and upon being rebuffed we men learn to not wear our hearts on our sleeves, and I expect the female perspective is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships