Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 10:55 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,708,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I would go to karaoke at a bowling alley. What if he had a really good voice and wanted to show it?
I would too. I like when people let loose on there. So funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 11:17 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,311,237 times
There is a big difference between spending money and making sophisticated choices. Many people don't recognize this, and they equate price to sophistication. I'm not saying that the physical item or service itself is sophisticated or not, but that the criteria and value system that a person uses to determine what clothes they wear or restaurants they visit or media they consume determines how self-aware and complex they are.

I feel that he heart of "class" is a combination of self awareness and confidence. Maybe courage is a better word than confidence and humility is part of self awareness but for brevity's sake I will just stick to my initial word choice. Confidence without self awareness is flawed cockiness and awareness without courage/confidence makes one a follower. To me, a classy choice is one that shows confidence and awareness.

The problem with trying to impress someone with "class" in dating is that it is one of those characteristics that is in the eye of the beholder. If I am trying to impress a woman using my definition of class but her definition is based on expense, she will obviously not be impressed, and vice versa.

For many people it is easier to spend a few extra bucks on dinner than to articulate their values system in a way that is recognized and appreciated by their date, and thus it is no surprise that dating is very expensive.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:33 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,100,296 times
Anyone who goes out to the fanciest restaurant in town for a first date is kind of an idiot.

First, that's a lot of pressure to put on your date. Second, it's bound to put the woman ill-at-ease, wondering what you're expecting in return.

What's wrong with just finding something fun to do? NOT A MOVIE. But something where you can relax, be yourself, and chit chat. A park. A beer. A friend's party.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:50 PM

34 posts, read 27,488 times
"Anyone who goes out to the fanciest restaurant in town for a first date is kind of an idiot."

I'm an idiot I suppose. I can afford the very best independent restaurants. Why wouldn't I treat her to the best? This way, I get to eat upscale, with company. These are restaurants that are prohibitive or awkward to visit on your own. Of course, prudent profile screening is important, but, after all, it's only a date and life is just too short.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,980,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
According to the article, the average cost of a date in California is above $200... That's stunning. I don't even know how to spend that much in a night without going to a $$$$ kind of restaurant. Who does that on a typical date?

The high end for me has been in the ballpark of $100... The low end is in the ballpark of $20-$40. Keep in mind this is generally for a full-day date, not a quick coffee. (I don't have any experience with online dating.)

On the other hand, I'll definitely exceed the $1600 average on dating this year. Just in the last 2-3 months since I started dating actively, I've probably spent $1000 or more. Granted, that does include spending $400 to buy a plane ticket in order to make a 10-day visit. But still.

I guess I just go on dates more than the average.
I can see that $200 easy. Movies where I live are $17 each. Let’s call it $35. Two drinks and a popcorn are $25. So that’s $60.

Let’s say you go to a typical nicer restaurant. Entrees are $25, wine is about $45. One appetizer is $12 or so. Dessert is $10.
So the dinner is about $120. Tax and tip adds about $30. Let’s call it $150.

$210 where I live and add $4 for parking at the multiplex.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,980,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
If a man has the opportunity to date his DREAM GIRL (****insert the name of whatever famous beauty you wish here***) he would NOT suggest that they go out for coffee as their first date.

I do not want to be considered or treated as anything less than a guy's dream girl. If I'm not his dream girl (or on that scale for him) then he most likely will not take the time to properly invest in me (emotionally, romantically, financially, etc.). I would not want to have my time wasted or to waste his time.
I like the way you expressed this sentiment. When a potential doesn’t start with their best foot forward it doesn’t bode well for the relationship.

You want a little bit of anticipation and magic leading into the date and coffee doesn’t do it.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:04 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,049,637 times
Quote:
If a man has the opportunity to date his DREAM GIRL (****insert the name of whatever famous beauty you wish here***) he would NOT suggest that they go out for coffee as their first date.

I do not want to be considered or treated as anything less than a guy's dream girl.
No one is ANYONE'S so-called "dream girl" on a FIRST date. Seriously, get over yourself. LOL

Old 08-25-2018, 06:06 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,049,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I can see that $200 easy. Movies where I live are $17 each.
The only kind of ticket pricing that I know of that is THAT high is at an IMAX theater. The rest are typically 10 to 12 bucks per person. Never hear of such a price otherwise.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:16 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
That's all I'm willing to do. Most women I've dated want instant chemistry and will refuse a second date using that cop out line. No way I'm springing for an expensive dinner on the first date.
It's virtually impossible to have instant chemistry. Our natural pheromones are being covered up by hygiene products.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:18 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
A park. A beer. A friend's party.
Not gonna work - Most modern day American women want something more "romantic" and "original" than that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships