Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times

Advertisements

Now don't get all upset please.

I had one marriage that I went into in my early 20's, we did that a long time ago. I thought it would last forever, that's what they told me and what I wanted to believe. I was mistaken, not a great marriage and a hard hard divorce...Long story which I won't go into.

I never wanted remarriage and had 40 yrs of professions/jobs and enough bf's...and one live in. But marriage was something I never wanted again.

In my life I didn't see too many good marriages, some but not enough when I think over my life. And I am 80 now and very very content NOT married.

There are many reasons for marriage and remarriage, and went once for the reasons of a family and life together...didn't turn out that way.

I know there are many stories here.

My sister and I discussed this topic over the years and she believed her long marriage was kept alive due to the fact that she travelled a LOT in her profession and was the major wage earner. I miss her as MS got her a couple yrs ago.

A person on another group is putting out feelers about her getting married again and she's probably close to 70 I'd say. 5 children and 10 grandkids and from what we see, she has a good life but her guy has proposed....Can't imagine that for me and others have said the same thing. We know what we have NOW.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-05-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 12:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
It's definitely NOT a sentence. There's a subject but no predicate.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,603 times
Marriage is a job. Its like a farm. The married couple are the farmers.

If you don't nurture it and take care of it, it will dry up, turn to dust, and everything will blow away.

If you want it to succeed and put your mind to its success, it will thrive and be the best thing you have ever experienced in your life.

There is one catch though - it only takes one farmer not putting their mind to it for it to fail. BOTH farmers must put their mind to it for it to thrive.

Its not a sentence. Either party can get out of it at anytime.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Marriage is a job. Its like a farm. The married couple are the farmers.

If you don't nurture it and take care of it, it will dry up, turn to dust, and everything will blow away.

If you want it to succeed and put your mind to its success, it will thrive and be the best thing you have ever experienced in your life.

There is one catch though - it only takes one farmer not putting their mind to it for it to fail. BOTH farmers must put their mind to it for it to thrive.

Its not a sentence. Either party can get out of it at anytime.
Getting out is a lot harder than going into marriage...and then again one may want to wrok "harder" than the other one. And so so many distractions can change all that too.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:08 PM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
I often wonder, when one has had an unsuccessful marriage early in life, if they've deprived themselves of a good one by coloring any future ones with the experience of the first.
My poor "Duffo" brother married 4 times but finally found a women the 5th time that was able to show him that things didn't need to repeat if you didn't keep making the same mistakes....just celebrated their 20th this week.

Would I have the guts to keep doing that?Uh uh! No how !!
But I'm happy for them

Old 09-05-2018, 01:09 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Getting out is a lot harder than going into marriage...and then again one may want to wrok "harder" than the other one. And so so many distractions can change all that too.
That always seems to the case in any romantic relationship.

As for one working harder is a recipe for resentment and most often becoming a failed relationship, IME. Both need to put their fair share into the relationship.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A person on another group is putting out feelers about her getting married again and she's probably close to 70 I'd say. 5 children and 10 grandkids and from what we see, she has a good life but her guy has proposed....Can't imagine that for me and others have said the same thing. We know what we have NOW.
In that example it just illustrates that marriage has declining value as the couple gets further past child bearing age. In your example the couple (or at least the man) have traditional values. My mother and her second husband were the same. A couple decades after my father passed (and way past her childbearing age) she and her new interest got married. (Her new husband became like a second father for me.)

I'm past the age where I'd want children so I'd say "marriage" is a word that precedes "ain't happening."

Old 09-05-2018, 02:15 PM

And then there is this> so many are mismatched and don't know all this until the knot is tied.

Today's people live together for testing purposes and that's not even a guarantee for that knot.

Living with another person I believe is truly the toughest thing we humans can try to do.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
In that example it just illustrates that marriage has declining value as the couple gets further past child bearing age. In your example the couple (or at least the man) have traditional values. My mother and her second husband were the same. A couple decades after my father passed (and way past her childbearing age) she and her new interest got married. (Her new husband became like a second father for me.)

I'm past the age where I'd want children so I'd say "marriage" is a word that precedes "ain't happening."
I have a friend who had one failed marriage and she and ex are still good buddies...a rare thing. She will often say, I think I need a partner...and I say, you have a good life why mess it up. If you want a male now and then, that is probably out there.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:19 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,742 times
Marriage is a word ... until the first missed period.

Then it becomes a sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships