Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

I need to vent,I really need a vent lol.

So after selling my house last year I have been renting a room from a life long friend.Thought about buying another house but given market conditions and the fact it's nice to have little bills and responsibility I have decided so far to stay here and it saves some money anyway.

But man,I'm home right now and it is so friggin hot in here because he wants to wait as long as he can before using AC to save electric.It's friggin 82 degrees in the house and I want to play guitar but can't get motivated in this friggin heat.

Add the fact that he uses the electric garage to go in and out,has a seperate fridge for beer but AC is too much....come on!!!!!

Man there are some things worth paying for and after working all day being comfortable at home seems a reasonable thing.I go out of my way to accomidate his neat freakness and deal with the fact that even if I go out the door I'm asked where you going what you doing but man,I'm burning up here arghhh!!!

I dunno,saving 2 or 3 hundred a month might not be worth it anymore,maybe this year I'll start looking for a duplex to rent or something.

He's a great friend but things like this make me want to live alone again under my own rules sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM

190 posts, read 681,166 times
So why don't you pay the electric bill or whatever portion you can agree on to have extra AC?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:23 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
I thought Kitty was always the king of the castle?

Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I would have a similar problem as well. I can't stand being hot. I feel for you.

I would offer to pay an additional amount on the electric bill so you can have it cooler inside. Some people aren't as sensetive to heat as others. I know I prefer it to be 75 or 70 but others don't mind it being 80.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,847 times
Idea to change his mind... walk around the house with no clothes on!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:39 PM

I am thinking about offering some money for the AC but once you pay a person more it's kind of hard to latter say well here is less again.

I am paying $150 a month for a storage place,lol he comes in my room and says "I could never live like this you have stuff everywhere".Well duh!!! I went from owning my own home where I had a seperate guitar room to having everything compressed into this room,which is the hottest room in the house it seems.

If I pay more for rent I might as well get my own place because then I can get rid of the storage and move closer to work anyway which is a hour drive one way.

I dunno,I don't know what I want to do right now.There has got to be some machine I can get that cools a room?

If he would let me store more stuff here I would get rid of the storage and use that money for him but being the obsessive neat freak he is clutter in the garage or the spare little room is a no no.

Last year when he ran the AC he never let the thernostat go below 78 anyway so I was always uncomfortable just not as bad as right now which if the hallway reads 82 I'm sure my room is 3 degrees hotter.

I agree Lindsey,70 to 74 is ok.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
Idea to change his mind... walk around the house with no clothes on!
Another good thing about living alone,have a girlifriend over and you can do what ya want.

Which is another point...........he had one of his over the other night,they were drinking in the backyard,all drunk they start tapping on my window and I happened to have matters in my hand if you know what I mean........

I was like "WHAT?????"So I quickly lost my ugh.....imagination.So what happens latter that night at 2am when I had to go to work early the next day?I hear ugh ugh ugh.....loud as can be coming from them in his bedroom...

Now my attitude is good for you dude,but interrupting ME,even if I was solo and then latter keepin me awake just when I was starting to sleep was well......at least the AC would have drown out the noise some but NOOOOOOO can run that can we?????????????

Old 04-02-2008, 08:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Well, I personally like it exactly at about 80-82 , but I can empathize nevertheless. Don't you have a fan? Either get a ceiling fan or some other big fan...

My new house has guaranteed costs for heating and cooling by the local electric company because it's energy-efficient, BUT provided the temps are not higher than 72 in the winter and not lower than 75 in summer. It'll work out in summer, but hell will freeze over before I become an icicle at 72 in the winter. Don't care if it voids their guarantee or not.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 PM

sierra you are latin are you not?,just about every spainish person I have known likes it hot.Yeah I have a fan but it moves around hot air,but itr makes it a little better anyway but..........give me 68 to 70 degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 PM

768 posts, read 2,100,750 times
What about getting a cheap window unit and putting it in the window? It's about $88 new for the smallest one possible here, but you might could find a used one and even at full price it would be better than putting your life-long friend in a headlock over the heat. Save your sanity so you can think clearly of better alternatives with a clear head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships