Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:25 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times

Advertisements

A female friend I was talking to, in her late 50s, lives near a major retirement community. Now, typical retirement age CAN go as far back as to someone in their 40s. Most men she meets in their 50s are retired, but quite frankly, these men expect her to be around her more frequently than she can afford...but she can't do that as she works a full time job...still.

And with the economy ,some people will be working until they are 6 feet under. WHo knows if soc. security income will even exist in the future.

That said, has anyone here experienced these out of sync retired vs. STILL working situations?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-29-2018 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Edited thread title for clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 07:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Have you?

Old 11-27-2018, 07:59 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Did you accidentally post in Relationships instead of Retirement?

Old 11-27-2018, 08:20 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Did you accidentally post in Relationships instead of Retirement?
No, this a legitimate post regarding dating while retired.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:01 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Possibly. Different mindset.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Mostly retired in their 50’s? I don’t know one person retired in their 50s. The closest situation I know, is a guy in his 50s who has 7 days off in a row twice a month. He takes a lot of trips, brags to me about having another day off while I’m at work..it gets a little irritating when always trying to brag about all that time off. I suppose that would be effective in making me jealous if I hated my job or wanted to retire. I don’t.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:52 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I could understand a disconnect in lifestyles that could impact feelings of compatibility.

I also think that most people who are retired, unless they are so old and/or debilitated that they can't do a lot anymore, really SHOULD do things outside of the home. It's the time to take classes that interest you, if you can afford it, or work a part time job that is not stressful, or to volunteer. I don't think it is mentally healthy for most people to hole up at home and disconnect from the world, especially if they substitute real life interaction with screens. Engaging with the world only through the internet...it's too easy to get a warped view of how people are, how the world outside is. I had a front row seat to that sht show with my ex. He was ~ok~ until he got medically retired from the military, and it was being at home all the time that really made a mess of him. I think that even if he hadn't picked up some substance abuse habits during that time, he'd still not have been mentally or emotionally healthy. And a big part of it, was feeling a lack of identity and purpose. You only get such things by getting out there and DOING STUFF.

So even more than a matter of working vs not working, or a difference in free time, I think that if one person is more engaged with the world and the other stays home most of the time, there will be a big gap in mentalities there.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
No, this a legitimate post regarding dating while retired.
My bad, sorry. Maybe she should be trying to meet people through Early Retirement groups? Like meet-up, etc.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:24 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Yes, this is a legitimate issue in dating. I retired at 61. Currently dating a guy who still works FT and it does limit our time together, especially since he works an evening shift for a call line dealing with people's questions on Medicare and SS. I've seen some Match.com profiles from retirees specifically wanting people who are also retired. I'm pretty independent and don't want to be glued to someone 24/7 so I'm more interested in the person than in his availability.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Mostly retired in their 50’s? I don’t know one person retired in their 50s. The closest situation I know, is a guy in his 50s who has 7 days off in a row twice a month. He takes a lot of trips, brags to me about having another day off while I’m at work..it gets a little irritating when always trying to brag about all that time off. I suppose that would be effective in making me jealous if I hated my job or wanted to retire. I don’t.
There are millions of people interested in retiring in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. There are people doing it. 50s isn't uncommon at all in some circles, even those not pursuing "early" retirement. Law enforcement and fire fighter types, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships