Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 05:08 AM

4 posts, read 1,633 times

Advertisements

My bf have been together several years. We have broken up a few times and during some of those times I did date others that he is aware of.

He is putting pressure on me to move in my home and marry me next year.

I haven’t been comfortable with this idea because of our different finances (he has very little but I am very comfortable from working and saving) but we do love each other and get along.

Yesterday he said he is always worried I am looking or someone else that is “better” for me. He knows my daughter doesn’t care for him and does feel I should find someone more compatible in terms of education (I’m a lawyer) and finances.

My heart is saying don’t leave him but my head is telling me to leave because I may regret it if I don’t.

My daughter will be coming in next week for the holiday and he is expecting to see her but she doesn’t want to.
Any thoughts?

Last edited by Uncertaintyforfuture; 12-17-2018 at 05:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 06:27 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncertaintyforfuture View Post
My bf have been together several years. We have broken up a few times and during some of those times I did date others that he is aware of.

I haven’t been comfortable with this idea because of our different finances (he has very little but I am very comfortable from working and saving) but we do love each other and get along.

Yesterday he said he is always worried I am looking or someone else that is “better” for me. He knows my daughter doesn’t care for him and does feel I should find someone more compatible in terms of education (I’m a lawyer) and finances.

My heart is saying don’t leave him but my head is telling me to leave because I may regret it if I don’t.

My daughter will be coming in next week for the holiday and he is expecting to see her but she doesn’t want to.
Any thoughts?
Mod cut. do not marry this man or let him move into your home.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-17-2018 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:37 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Sure. Let him move in. Do whatever you want to.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
This many doubts = move on.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:34 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,849 times
Absolutely not! There is no reason to change anything. Don't let anyone rush you into to making huge life changes. Think how this will affect your daughter.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:51 AM

888 posts, read 555,910 times
First off, why would you force your daughter to see someone she doesn't like especially during the holidays? Go spend some time with your daughter without him. And no, don't move in with him or marry him. Why you are there I have no idea.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:56 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Why do you keep asking this question over and over? You're educated enough to be an attorney. Surely you can make up your own mind.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:16 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why do you keep asking this question over and over? You're educated enough to be an attorney. Surely you can make up your own mind.
Yeah, especially when the "problem" is so simple and solving it requires just a little bit of common sense.
Ask your friends, other lawyers if you still can't come up with a solution to this dilemma, not random strangers on a internet board...

Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncertaintyforfuture View Post

Any thoughts?

It really depends. Is he trying to better himself? Going to school? Starting a business working for himself?
When my wife and I met we were ina similar situation. I didn’t make a lot of money but I did have some assets and I worked hard. I was starting my own business and money was tight.

He’s worried that you’re looking for someone else.......there Is a reason for that.

If he’s just loafing around playing XBox all day.......Go with what your head is telling you.

What I would ask myself is why did I break up with this person over the years/months? Those reasons yo7 broke up are the exact reasons why you will file and get divorced later. Except now you’re splitting your assets or some value of those assets

. I hope you’re smart enough to have a prenup in case you go through with it

Old 12-17-2018, 12:49 PM

6,871 posts, read 4,873,766 times
You say you get along but you have broken up afew times. He is pressuring you. What a nice attribute.

Use your brain. This is not a good decision to make based on emotion. Nor is it a good decision to make based on pressure.

Has your daughter said what it is that she doesn't like about him? Listen to your daughter.

If you decide to marry this guy get a prenup. I have a friend that sure wishes she'd got one and she was only married to him for four years. You are a lawyer, how would you advise someone in your position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships